UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2022, 12:50 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Another would you have left it there? Anyone want it?

I have saved various old sets from the skip at our local house clearance place some of which I have posted about here . The last lot was a real find half a dozen sets from the '70s. I don't expect that find will be repeated but as a consequence I do keep an eye out...
Yesterday I went with a mate to collect some household things he had bought.
Just as we were leaving I had a look by the skips and plonked on top of an old fridge next to a pile of '90s Matsui and Bush TVRs was this Ferguson. I didn't have a really good look at it I just assumed it to be a late TX9 and decided it deserved to be saved so it was shoehorned into the back of my mates car...
Looking at it properly today I see it is a later chassis. TX90?
The set is in good condition, I have cleaned it and the little marks on the top have cleaned off. It is missing the lower door/flap.
I tested it and found it has frame collapse but does look untouched.
My mate Mick asked me why I wanted it he would have left it to its fate. But I think it is worth saving.

Two questions, would you have saved it? And do you want it?

Collection can be from Peterborough or from the Biggleswade meeting.
If no interest within a couple of weeks I may just out of interest see what the frame fault is, but I don't want to spoil the fun for a prospective new owner!
I don't think it will attract enough interest for a "hat" it can go to first to be able to collect from Peterborough or arrange FCS.
Old 16th Aug 2022, 12:53 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Another would you have left it there? Anyone want it?

Some pictures. I forgot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_114917.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	262907   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_115610.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	262908   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_115751.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	262909  
Old 16th Aug 2022, 1:18 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That's a surprise. I would have expected a TX9 to be lurking in there. Yes, it's a TX90, slightly modified for larger screen use. A bit od a mongrel as it has a thick neck 16" tube.

Probably a dry joint on the frame transistors - shouldn't be a difficult fix.

They also used this arrangement in the 20" sets, usually branded Logik. As these were most people's main TV they worked very hard and the board usually resembled toast by the time the LOPT and half the power supply died. Not a great surprise as it was a portable chassis pressed into doing something it wasn't designed for. Yours looks nice and fresh and will have a good tube.
Old 16th Aug 2022, 2:08 pm   #4
neil29
Heptode

It would be a shame i think if people didn't save stuff whether its worthless junk or worth thousands even the (supposed crap) needs saving too but i dont want it either. although i do have a 22" TX9 if anyone fancies it.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 16th Aug 2022, 5:03 pm   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

It does look like a thick neck tube in the photo I agree, but it is a thin neck and it's fairly vulnerable with that big base PCB hanging on it. One slip and !
I needs something to give it perspective so here is a marker pen for comparison. I am so tempted to lift the board and check for dry joints. It still has a retaining screw on the right side runner so I bet the chassis has never been out.
It does have the look of a low hours set as some portables were, original LOT as well! Remember how they would split open and spit the windings out!?
We used the 20" Ultra version as entry level rentals. Mainly for slot meter and older customer rentals both customer types usually ran them all day so most were fried and on their second LOT by 6 years old. Luckily we had moved on to Toshiba before the end of the TX and the launch of the ICC*&%$!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_133107.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	262915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_133117.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	262916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_133139.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	262917  

Last edited by slidertogrid; 16th Aug 2022 at 5:09 pm.
Old 17th Aug 2022, 8:38 am   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Ah - you remember the Ultra/Logik too! Not a good end for the otherwise reasonable TX90. I have to admit accidentally introducing air into a couple of those 20" CRTs back in the day. The LOPT was different (red spot?) on those. Rarely had one fail on the portables that I can remember.
Old 18th Aug 2022, 1:02 pm   #7
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

I would like to take over the possession of the TV I would be able to collect from Biggleswade as long as it will be before 31st August or after the 12th September.

As a matter of interest what is the meeting at Biggleswade ?

Regards

Bill
Old 18th Aug 2022, 3:55 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Bill sorry I should have been more specific the meeting is a BVWS event. A replacement event for the Harpenden one . It is on Sunday 25th of September.
https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/diary.php
https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php
Let me know if that is convenient with you and I will send you my contact number by private message. I will be at the event from the start until early afternoon.
Rich
Old 18th Aug 2022, 10:17 pm   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Ah - you remember the Ultra/Logik too! Not a good end for the otherwise reasonable TX90. I have to admit accidentally introducing air into a couple of those 20" CRTs back in the day. The LOPT was different (red spot?) on those. Rarely had one fail on the portables that I can remember.
Yes the portables 37140/141 were marvellous they were a budget set for Ferguson retailing at £169 for the basic 37140 and £199 for the remote 141 a stab back at the Japanese imports . They achieved almost the Japanese level of reliability as well. We cancelled our account with Ferguson as I understand so did a lot of other independent retailers over the Logik deal with Dixons. I had a word with the rep and he assured me that Dixons "were not allowed" to say that the sets were Ferguson. I went to Dixons to check this and the first thing the salesman told me was that "These sets are made by Ferguson" then I was given a demo of how the handset from a Ferguson operated the Logik!
I stopped selling Ferguson as the stock ran out ( I admit I did buy a few Ultra sets that were produced at a lower price to placate the independents for the Dixons deal). They did us a favour in retrospect as we missed out on selling or renting any ICC junk. We at first sold Sharp and that didn't go well with sets blowing up in the shop before they were sold! So we went to Toshiba. Happy days!
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:04 am   #10
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Richard

The 25th September will be fine, send me your contact details as and when, I am only coming from Wilstead.

I also am a member of the BVWS, is this just a meeting or a bring and buy day, so I could see you inside I almost am certain that I should have a note of the day in my BVWS book

Regards

Bill
Old 19th Aug 2022, 7:32 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Bill PM Sent
Rich
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:22 pm   #12
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Yes the portables 37140/141 were marvellous they were a budget set for Ferguson retailing at £169 for the basic 37140 and £199 for the remote 141 a stab back at the Japanese imports . They achieved almost the Japanese level of reliability as well. We cancelled our account with Ferguson as I understand so did a lot of other independent retailers over the Logik deal with Dixons. I had a word with the rep and he assured me that Dixons "were not allowed" to say that the sets were Ferguson. I went to Dixons to check this and the first thing the salesman told me was that "These sets are made by Ferguson" then I was given a demo of how the handset from a Ferguson operated the Logik!
I stopped selling Ferguson as the stock ran out ( I admit I did buy a few Ultra sets that were produced at a lower price to placate the independents for the Dixons deal). They did us a favour in retrospect as we missed out on selling or renting any ICC junk. We at first sold Sharp and that didn't go well with sets blowing up in the shop before they were sold! So we went to Toshiba. Happy days!
Another odd Thorn special edition I think has been mentioned before were some Pilot branded sets only sold through Rumbelows, which were created to clear an oversupply of export sets, which were converted to system I. I'm not sure which model got this treatment, which was probably one of their last uses of the Pilot brand.