UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:29 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Causes of smoking motors

Sorry, I was being a bit flippant about those Rifa Class X caps. I think most of us have experienced them failing and the unmistakeable smell. Cleaning up the residue is no fun either.

When I see any of those cracked up rotten old caps in any equipment I always refer to them as reeker capacitors and are thus duly evicted before they cause any damage.

Regards,
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 19th Aug 2022 at 10:45 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old 20th Aug 2022, 9:02 am   #22
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Understood thanks. I'd not heard of Rifa before but certainly can understand the feeling towards them as the smell is still in the house even after removal of the cap and cleaning. Probably from smoke sucked into the vacuum or some tiny remnant.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 11:11 am   #23
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Ian.

Take a look at these threads:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69128 and

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=129651 which are quite informative of members' experiences with these caps.

Regards,
Symon
Old 20th Aug 2022, 4:52 pm   #24
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks Symon. Very enlightening. I dread to think of the amount of perfectly working household goods have been rendered scrap by just this component. Almost worthy of a nationwide news feature so everyone is aware. It's a fire risk at the very least.
Old 20th Aug 2022, 6:53 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I grew up in a house which had lots of parquet wood flooring and Italianate marble floors, so we had a floor polisher/waxer thing. When it emitted smoke the cleaning lady who used it lost all confidence in it and said, in essence, 'either it goes or I do' so a new one was bought.

For most people an appliance that emits smoke will be considered a liability and even if It is supposedly 'fixed' any hint of smokey smells will be a good reason for replacing it.

'it tried to burn the house down once before, I don't want it in the house any more '...
Old 20th Aug 2022, 11:06 pm   #26
joebog1
Banned

'it tried to burn the house down once before, I don't want it in the house any more '...

That sounds remarkably like mum, "Dont take the lightbulb out, all the electricity will run out ".

Joe
Old 24th Aug 2022, 12:26 am   #27
IanNVJ35
Heptode

To wrap up, I fitted the new Rifa capacitor which arrived today. I'd have liked to fit some other brand but the space inside was specifically designed for this type.

All working well which is great, however it's smelling bad when running as it sucked in some Rifa smoke. It's really foul stuff. Hopefully it will fade with use. New bag and filter helped a little.
Old 24th Aug 2022, 10:57 am   #28
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you want to get rid of the smell, put it outside and leave it running for an hour or so.

Then use it to suck up a couple of tablespoons of baking soda, which is great for absorbing residual smells - it works well for removing tobacco and nicotine stink too.
Old 24th Aug 2022, 11:09 am   #29
Philips210
Nonode

That's good advice G6Tanuki. I'll give the baking soda a try on my workshop Electrolux cylinder cleaner that's had a rubbery pong to it for some time.

Regards,
Symon
Old 24th Aug 2022, 2:16 pm   #30
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, baking-soda is great at absorbing 'organic' smells; it's basically what was in "Shake n Vac" that you sprinkled on your carpet to neutralise the odour where the cat had been sick.

"Do the Shake-n-Vac
To put the freshness back".

A cup filled with baking-soda put in your fridge will also get rid of the smell where you left an inadequately-wrapped fish/onion in there overnight...