UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2022, 5:24 pm   #21
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: 'Spirits of Salts' as soft solder flux?

Regarding solder - I have a reel of 60-40 flux-core stuff which tins very easily, and a reel of something much thicker (like about 3/16" thick) which I hope is plumbers solder and which seemed to be a bit more pasty on the iron - so I hope this is something like 50-50 as I tried it, hoping for more strength. So far, so good!

John - I know just what you mean about rotten black wire, again in an outdoors application OT for this forum. It's surprising how far along, under the insulation, that black rot will propagate.
Old 19th Aug 2022, 9:06 pm   #22
greenstar
Octode

There is a forum member from Cuba posting on this forum (Miguel Lopez, hoping he is ok), who made amazing gear from reclaimed parts. He was very limited in materials available, and I remember he collected solder harvested from things like Soviet TV's, and reused it with aspirin as a flux. Not something I have had to try. His threads are fascinating.
Old 19th Aug 2022, 9:12 pm   #23
mark_in_manc
Octode

I used to scrape the solder (and components) from old TV boards which the maintenance men at my Dad's factory occasionally gave him, when he told them I might be interested in electronics. The hours I spent scouring those boards reciting things like 'brown-black-red' to myself Generally, nothing I made worked. Those boards lived in ice-cream tubs under my bed, covering the missing squares of carpet I had sliced out to perform something like a hair-transplant on the soldering-iron burns I had caused elsewhere - I didn't know what an iron stand was, I'd not seen one!

Edit to add - I am mocking my own ham-fisted attempts at resourcefulness, not comparing myself to Mr Lopez who is a genius of inventiveness!