UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2022, 5:22 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Ugly to lovely Regentone

Hi everyone

I’ve had this little Regentone DP3 since I was a teen so getting on for 30 years. Gosh time speeds up as I get older. Seems like only yesterday when I found it.

Stupidly I stored it in a damp outbuilding and when HWMBO told me to clear out my ‘junk’ from it last week I found it looking in a terrible state. It wasn’t that bad when I last saw it.

I stripped all the paint off with yellow nitromoors. Lots of polishing gave a good finish, I prefer the brown and gold trim look so that’s a bonus.

Electrically not much needed doing, the on off switch wasn’t operating correctly so that’s been removed from the cct as it never switched off. The waveband selector was very crackly so I gave it a clean and a polish with some silvo.

There is another fault the ECH xx valve produces tons of crackles if lightly touched. Cleaning the valve pins hasn’t done anything so I need to clean the socket somehow and check the soldering, but that’s for another day. Only two caps needed replacing, I’ve not checked the smoother but it’s not getting hot but there is a bit of hum, again that can be done another time.

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B930EBFF-D29A-4271-B339-965996AE45A2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	261447   Click image for larger version

Name:	2070B268-307B-4795-81BE-A16EEA33A1B6.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	261448   Click image for larger version

Name:	4F0A5840-8333-42D2-B800-568BE6B0B42A.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	261449   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADB4AA60-9C90-4E55-99AC-25CFFCABE4F5.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	261450  
Old 24th Jul 2022, 5:41 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Ugly to lovely Regentone

quite a nice little thing, no doubt bought for someone's bedroom or kitchen.
Old 24th Jul 2022, 6:11 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

I’d check out the valveholder of the ECH**. If it’s a McMurdo with bifurcated contacts, you may find that one of the contacts has done a bifurcate too far and broken, resulting in intermittent contact. McMurdo used to have the top reputation, but, unanticipated at the time, they don’t age well: the brass alloy used in their valveholder contacts crystallises and goes brittle over time.

I’ve just replaced a B8A valveholder with that problem in a Regentone record player (badged RGD). A right pain!

Martin
Old 24th Jul 2022, 8:29 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

+1 what martin says if it uses McMurdo.

I had a DAC90 suffering damp storage, with the McMurdo sockets and literally every one had a few fractured forks - there's been a recent thread on this problem.

I ended up buying a full set of NOS sockets (I think from electrojumble) which were a different design and cured that sort of problem.
Old 18th Aug 2022, 3:01 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have a Regentone DP3 but my cabinet is in green
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread