UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:17 pm   #1
Dodger57
Diode

Default AVQ 47 Weather Radar Unit Help

Hello all!

I recently came into possession of a AVQ 47 Weather Radar Unit (links to pics below) - I imagine it was a pull from a craft many years ago, shelved and forgotten about until a recent clean out. It's of no use to me but I thought it would be fun to see if I could get it "working" - or lit up as an interesting office item.

There is a connection labeled J101 - I've googled around but there doesn't appear to be a surplus of that particular connector - or old harnesses. I thought I could rig up a power supply to one and use it to at least the screen.

Any thoughts on this project - or got a line of a J101 connector source?

Thanks!
Daffydd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	238783   Click image for larger version

Name:	radar2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	238784  

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Aug 2021 at 9:04 pm. Reason: Linked images converted to thumbnails.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:23 pm   #2

Default Re: AVQ 47 Weather Radar Unit Help

I would think J101 was the designation of the connector, not a part number.

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:46 pm   #3
Dodger57
Diode

Thank you, sir. You must be right as I've had no luck with that as a part number. One of our engineers mentioned that he's seen that type of connector with RF components - tho this one appears to be keyed so that may make it harder to locate.
Thanks again!
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 8:58 pm   #4

That looks like a 62GB connector, one of the favoured military jobs 38999 is the other common one.

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:52 pm   #5
Dodger57
Diode

Yes, the 62GB looks spot on! Thank you!

I'd like to rig up a bit of power to light the screen. It looks like a CRT screen - might take 110v? I've seen some manuals for the unit on the net - but damn expensive for this lark.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 2:17 am   #6
majoconz
Heptode

That bit is only the display - usually fitted in the centre of the cockpit instrument panel. There would have been a large receiver/power supply box somewhere in the avionics bay and the scanner behind the nosecone.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 4:46 pm   #7
Dodger57
Diode

Hey thanks, majoconz - I figured there was at least a dish or scanner somewhere.
Old 8th Aug 2021, 11:40 am   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

What I, and I think the OP would like to know, is how would one go about powering the display and emulating a target blip on the screen?
I know these are not designed to display a scanned raster like a TV. I used to think that the circular axis was done with magnets and a motor, but I remember reading it can be done none-mechanically.
Old 8th Aug 2021, 12:10 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Driving the 2 deflection axes with sine waves of the same amplitude in quadrature (90 degrees out of phase) will produce a circle. Changing the amplidute of them (both together) will of course change the size of the circle.

So I guess if you have relatively slow sine waves for the 2 axes and control their ampltiude with a much faster ramp you will get the rotating line display.

I have a TDMS5 (Telegraph distortion measuring set) which displays a single circular trace on a CRT screen. This is generated electronically, not by rotating deflection cols. I think the manual, including the circuit is on Sam Hallas's telephone web site.
Old 8th Aug 2021, 1:00 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The usual 'timebase' on those displays was a vertical line which appeared with the bottom end anchored at the 'pointy' part of the display and which then swept from side to side to create a fan-shaped display. The 'straight up' position of the line represented the aircraft's heading and the sides of the fan showed what weather was at different angles either side of the current heading; recreating this electronically could be a fun exercise!

The distance 'up' the line from the base indicates how far ahead the particular weather events are.
Old 8th Aug 2021, 1:51 pm   #11
Dodger57
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
What I, and I think the OP would like to know, is how would one go about powering the display and emulating a target blip on the screen?
Yes, please!
Glad to see more activity on this thread - I think getting this unit lit up, and moving, would be so cool!

Thanks everyone!
Daffydd
Old 8th Aug 2021, 7:59 pm   #12
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Driving the 2 deflection axes with sine waves of the same amplitude in quadrature (90 degrees out of phase) will produce a circle. Changing the amplitude of them (both together) will of course change the size of the circle.
Of course, a 1:1 Lissajous figure! I should have known that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
So I guess if you have relatively slow sine waves for the 2 axes and control their amplitude with a much faster ramp you will get the rotating line display.
Sounds easy enough to do on any scope then.
It's then a matter of synchronising your servomotor to it and applying the returns to the "Z" axis.

Are RADAR experiments allowed in appropriate amateur bands? In the 50 odd years that I have been licenced I've never been aware of any.
Old 8th Aug 2021, 9:15 pm   #13
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Are RADAR experiments allowed in appropriate amateur bands?
Only communication with other licensed amateurs is allowed. 'Broadcasting' in the literal sense of the word is specifically forbidden, so spraying RF around is not allowed

It's good here
Old 8th Aug 2021, 9:24 pm   #14

Quote:
Only communication with other licensed amateurs is allowed.
Or putting out a call. Or use one of the "licence free" bands, I there are radar slots available.

Old 9th Aug 2021, 2:08 am   #15
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Quote:
Are RADAR experiments allowed in appropriate amateur bands?
Only communication with other licensed amateurs is allowed. 'Broadcasting' in the literal sense of the word is specifically forbidden, so spraying RF around is not allowed
I'm not so sure.
FT8 is little more than secondary RADAR
Old 9th Aug 2021, 5:44 am   #16
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Only communication with other licensed amateurs is allowed.
Or putting out a call. Or use one of the "licence free" bands, I there are radar slots available.
Licence free radar means motion detectors for burglar alarms and automatic doors. The equipment has to be type approved to be legal and is required to be low power CW doppler in the mW power category.

The power limit dramatically limits range, and this means the time scales are dramatically shortened, so the sweep time the CRT deflectors are built for will be out by orders of magnitude. So even the display unit is specific to high powered radar. Power levels unsafe for anyone to enter the beam near the dish.

David
Old 9th Aug 2021, 6:35 am   #17
joebog1
Banned

I would have thought a circuit diagram of the display is the place to start. Inventing a B52 simulator to light a screen is outside the scope of the ORIGINAL question. "CAN I MAKE IT WORK", as I remember.

I "suspect" it's just the screen and associated controls, don't think it has scanning motors, OR transmitters, or transponders as may be appropriate.

IMHO it's just the EHT, brightness, focus anti-stigmatism controls. The rest would be in the receiver/power supply, transmitter and radar control. That display is "most likely" DC which means JUST the display part. It would have horizontal and vertical amps, perhaps a power supply. Its almost most likely to be 400Hz or even 1Khz supply if it does contain transformers.

Joe
Old 10th Aug 2021, 5:30 am   #18
majoconz
Heptode

Here's a quick pic of a typical medium light aircraft installation - it looks like all the gyros are in there too.... I don't think you'll need to duplicate all this Here's everything you really wanted to know...... quite interesting for nerds like us!
http://aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANArchiv...borneRadar.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YlLz8.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	239172  

Last edited by majoconz; 10th Aug 2021 at 5:41 am.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 6:46 am   #19
joebog1
Banned

I must say its nice to see someone who knows the Beechcraft King Air aircraft. The RFDS has hundreds of them. ( RFDS = Royal Flying Doctor Service ). I am still asking for a circuit diagram of the said
" Display Unit".
I would think that Dodger57 also needs such an article.

with respect to all,

Joe
Old 10th Aug 2021, 3:44 pm   #20
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
the time scales are dramatically shortened, so the sweep time the CRT deflectors are built for will be out by orders of magnitude. So even the display unit is specific to high powered radar. Power levels unsafe for anyone to enter the beam near the dish.
Getting ahead a bit, but how about making a 'model radar' to drive this using ultrasound instead of RF? Could just be a distance indicating display to start with, like early chain home radar displays (but with the line going up the screen rather than across).

That would give the needed relatively long interval between TX pulse and RX return.

Of course you need to get the display unit itself powered up and working first, if only with a 'dot' in the middle of the screen to begin with.
Closed Thread