UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2021, 5:53 pm   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Sony SW100 vs Tecsun PL330 Old vs New

Apologies mods if this thread is in the wrong place - please move if needed.

So, just for fun; I ran a series of comparison tests of an old world receiver vs a new one. Here are my results. Note - they are based on 'user' tests, conducted in the same position; not any kind of scientific analysis.

=============================
The compeition:

Sony SW100 - The iconic clamshell set. Recently purchased, appears to be in good working order but I have not yet re-capped it.

Tecsun PL-330 - Tecsun's ultra portable DSP set.

Size: Sony wins, but only just. Plus, the clamshell design isn't to everyone's taste.

Screen: Tecsun wins hands down. Partly, the Sony screen is from a different era when LCDs were not as good as they are today. But no doubt about it, the Tecsun screen is lovely and clear and the backlighting great.

Screen information: Draw The Tecsun has the nice signal information which although a bit arbitrary is useful; the Sony only has a 'signal lock' indicator. But, the Sony allows labelling of stations whereas the Tecsun only displays frequency. So both nice, but different.

Battery: Draw Again different. Sony uses standard AA's, whereas the Tecsun is rechargeable. They both last a lovely long time though so doesn't really matter.

Interface: Sony Both are nice to use and have good buttons, but in my opinion the Sony has the edge. The buttons are nice and tactile and grouped in a more logical order.

Build quality: Sony A bit unfair perhaps, as we don't have the crystal ball for the Tecsun's durability, but looking at the construction quality and the types of control etc, I would say that it won't stand the test of time. Pitch that against a set which is still working well over 30 years later and the Sony trumps.

Sound quality speaker: Tecsun The Tecsun's speaker sound is richer and more balanced.

Sound quality headphones: Tecsun but only just. The Sony is good but a little light on the bass end. Maybe tired capacitors but points to the Tecsun here.

Stereo separation: Sony knocks spots of the Tecsun.

RECEPTION....

FM: Tecsun but only just. Almost a draw, but the Tecsun does seem to have an edge for more distant stations due to the DSP technology. However, the Sony pulls in stations easier and often without an aerial!

LW: Sony by a long mile. Tecsun's don't seem to be very good on LW, almost seems like an afterthought. The Sony however pulls in several very distant stations and all with its internal rod antenna.

MW: Sony again by a long mile. Excellent results.

SW: Sony almost a draw and to be fair they behave slightly differently here. The Tecsun does find more stations, (apparently) but the Sony is much clearer on distant stations so is an easier listen.

Sync detection: Sony by a long mile. Sync detection has been criticized on the Tecsun as unusable and after this comparison I would agree. Makes stations muffled and impossible to listen to. The Sony on the other hand makes short work of sync detection and performs really well. Excellent.

SSB: Draw Different in their approach; Sony with a BFO and Tecsun with ultra fine tuning, but both get the job done.

Tuning: Tecsun This is the Tecsun's biggest strength. The Sony supports manual tuning via push buttons, and scan as well as direct entry. The Tecsun though adds autoscan and store and the amazing ETM modes.

Memories: Tecsun Perhaps not particularly important anymore, but the Tecsun has hundreds against the Sony's 50. Personally I prefer the Sony's way of using them though with instant key access.
------------------

Final thoughts. On points alone the Sony wins hands down. They are of course different beasts, but given the intended purpose I am pleasantly surprised just how well the Sony performs. Older tech but outperforms the Tecsun on all the most important parts. And for an old set. It may even improve once it has been re-capped.

So I still love both, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Sony.

Thanks for reading! Look forward to comments.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 11:38 am   #2
sabaman
Pentode

Default Re: Sony SW100 vs Tecsun PL330 Old vs New

Hi,

I thought your review was a very interesting read, thank you! What did surprise me was the Sony's superior FM stereo separation and the Tecsun's marginal better FM reception. I would have thought it was relatively easy to obtain really good stereo separation with circuit techniques nowadays. Also, if these little portable DSP receivers à la Tecsun, do get one thing done well, it's FM (VHF) sensitivity and selectivity. Well, the better ones anyway.
Kudos to Sony for getting almost everything right some 25 years ago. Just had to fix that flexible cable problem between the two 'halves' of the Sony. The cable was stressed during opening and closing so that it fractured leaving the set unresponsive. Later models were modified to relieve the stress on the cable.

I have an XHDATA D-808. Purchased out of curiosity a couple of years ago. A multi-band including 'AIR' band, SSB equiped pocket sized set for around £60. It's gone up a bit in price since. I thought it might be like having a pocket sized ICF-2001D, so easy to take on walks etc.

It's not far off. For £60 it's a lot of radio. What would an ICF-2001D cost back then! D-808 is sensitive and selective on AM/HF with lots of IF filter choices. No sync detection though. My main gripes would be 1) Abysmal LW performance (deaf as a post). 2) Unpleasant AM/HF AGC action. Very 'choppy' and reactive, resulting in a tiresome listening experience when signal conditions fluctuate. 3) Delay when selecting SSB mode, although this isn't much of an issue. Good audio from such a small set. Not really bothered much with FM/VHF or air band but found it to be a reasonable performer during casual tests.

These are just my condensed thoughts, however, I still think a well designed 'analogue' radio, with all the necessary circuitry refinements that entails e.g. air-spaced mechanical tuning capacitor, high quality front end, IF and audio demodulation circuit would be my preferred listening choice. I get a buzz from 'mechanical' tuning (i.e. string/gear & dial tuning) that I just don't get from 'digitally' tuned sets. Combine an analogue tuned high quality set with a digital frequency counter (nice to know the exact frequency I must admit) and I think you've got a good combination.

Must stop now, or I'll go on and on...
Closed Thread