UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:48 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Sharp double-sided record player damaged by lemon

Hello everyone

I just found in a cupboard a Sharp RP-118 double side record player I'd forgotten I'd even got! Bought as a non-going project I never got around to

Fitted some new belts, and some replacement plastic cogs and it was working really well. Proud of my achievement I asked the missus to come have a look at the weird mechanism whilst the top was still off. She came with an arm full of lemons from the garden. When I pressed the "open drawer" button the drawer slid out and for a second it looked like it was going to overbalance over the edge of the bench, so she panicked and dropped her lemons, one of which hit the loading drawer, and you guessed it, it hasn't worked properly since!

But the issue isn't immediately linked to the drawer mechanism at all, so it's a puzzle, is it just a coincidence? worked fine pre-lemon

So finally to the problem. Pre-lemon the drawer would close, the cartridge would then move inwards to the edge of the 7", the cart would lower and the record would play fine. But now post-lemon, the cart lowers BEFORE moving to the edge of the 7" record, so horribly drags the poor stylus over the plastic drawer base... not good

These models have 2 cartridges one above the record and other below to play the other side, top one relies on gravity to lower down to the record, the bottom one must use a spring, and I notice that BOTH (drop) before the cartridge moves in, so both have gone wrong with the same single lemon... a clue? why would a slight knock mean the circuit board does what it previously did ok in a different order??

Anybody any ideas?

It's a very similar model to the more common RP-103 through 117 series

Also If anyone does have a similar model can you please take one of the side doors off and watch when the cartridge lowers, does it drop like a stone (mine does) or is it nicely damped which I think it should be

Cheers
Joe

ps. it's a clever beast, when it loads you can select the order it plays tracks back! it scans the record looking for the gaps between tracks and then plays them in the order you requested, and that all works nicely
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:59 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Sharp double-sided record player damaged by lemon

It sounds as if the bash has caused a cog to jump somewhere, so that the timing is out.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 11:26 am   #3
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: Sharp double-sided record player damaged by lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It sounds as if the bash has caused a cog to jump somewhere, so that the timing is out.
I don't recall anything so mechanical driving the timing (nothing like the cycle cam on a Garrard/BSR) but the jumped cog makes more sense than the semi-programmed sequence of events being changed by a knock

The other thing I thought was perhaps a sensor got knocked/damaged. Now if it thought the 7" loaded was actually a 12" due to a faulty sensor, that could explain why it lowers the cartridge too soon (at the 12" run-in spot), it's a compelling theory BUT undermined by the lowered cartridge not staying where the edge of a 12" was but it goes searching for the 7" edge that I assume it knows is there
Closed Thread