UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2021, 4:54 pm   #1
John Freear
Diode

Default Bush SRP31 D. Cartridge & Styli

Hi
I am refurbishing my old Bush SRP 31 D Record Player, I bought at the age of 15 in 1963 and which has been in our loft in different houses for the last 50 odd years.
My problem is the Monarch Auto Changer has a Sonotone 8TA Stereo Cartridge which has four (4) small thin flat copper pins on the back, three (3) of which have rotted and broken off and were inside the three leads. I have manage to remove the three broken flat pins, cleaned and re-shrink wrapped the lead small plugs and have a "used" but, I'm told working 8TA identical replacement, coming from the states in a couple of weeks. I have four (4) leads coloured. BLACK, RED, BLUE and YELLOW. As you look at the Cartridge upside down, with the Needle Arm upwards and the actual Record Needle pointing away from you, with the connecting pins towards you, the Black lead was still attached to the left hand flat pin. I need to know (if someone can help me) which colour lead goes on the other three (3) pins. Many Thanks. John
Old 28th Jul 2021, 7:21 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRP31 D. Cartridge & Styli

Just search out "Stereo Cartridge Wiring". There are some SLIGHT variations in different types of cartridge wiring colours (e.g. LH+ is often WHITE) and these will show them.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 10:32 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

The red lead goes on to the right hand pin, and the other two go to the middle pins. (it doesn't matter which, as they are joined at the tag strip underneath the deck)

Barry
Old 30th Jul 2021, 10:33 am   #4
John Freear
Diode

Default Sonotone 8TA Cartridge, Bush SRP31D

Hi
I am restoring my old Bush SRP31D Record Player, that has a Sonotone 8TA Cartridge and styli. There are four thin copper pins on the back to connect the four leads, a black, red, blue and yellow. Unfonatunely, other than the black lead, the other three had all rotted and broken off. I have managed to source a second hand Sonotone 8TA, I now need to find which colour lead goes on which pin! Viewing with the Cartridge upside down (on the bench) with the needle on top and facing away from me, with the pins towards me, the black lead was still attached to the far left hand pin. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. John
Old 30th Jul 2021, 11:48 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Already answered on the post above your last one!

Barry
Old 30th Jul 2021, 12:31 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sonotone 8TA Cartridge, Bush SRP31D

Have you not seen the previous replies?
The normal colour convention is Red, White, Blue and Green.
However on your Sonotone it's slightly different, so I suggest: Red = RH+, Yellow = LH+ and the Blue as LH- and leave the Black as it is which I assume to be RH-. A more profund test is to play a known record where the chanels are well seperated on a known good player and check against it.
Old 30th Jul 2021, 1:36 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I forgot to add, do not solder DIRECTLY to the cartridge pins.
Solder on small cartridge pin connectors first and then push on with a pair of tweezers.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:04 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
However on your Sonotone it's slightly different, so I suggest: Red = RH+, Yellow = LH+ and the Blue as LH- and leave the Black as it is which I assume to be RH-.
Edward is correct, red and yellow are the two positives, blue and black are the negatives. Sorry for initially giving you wrong information, I was looking at a UA16 deck that had been messed about with! Not sure about the black wire being connected to the left hand pin, though. I think the left and right hand pins were the positive sides? If you examine the 8TA cartridge very carefully there should be two + signs (positive) and two - signs, (negative) embossed on the plastic body over the relevent pins.

Barry
Closed Thread