UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2021, 8:55 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Sources of information on vintage microscopes?

I hope mods, as concerning vintage tech this post is acceptable. I am simply wondering if anyone knows of sources of information for antique microscopes. I have searched online but not found any forum. There is scattered information on the net, auctions, dealers and collectors, but nowhere I can see that people can ask and share information. The period I am thinking of is the later 19C.
Tony
Old 26th Jul 2021, 10:39 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Sources of information on vintage microscopes?

Here's mine, let's face it, we all need something to keep track of those pesky tin-whiskers! and what could be better than a Victorian or Edwardian brass instrument.

My dad acquired this when he was a boy and it must have been 20 or 30 years old then. It would have had a wooden case, but i don't remember ever seeing one. There was a lens on a brass stand which I still might have somewhere, and there was a brass microscope slide with a glass "porthole" which Dad called the "life-box" which was lost many decades ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scope 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	238227   Click image for larger version

Name:	scope 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	238228  
Old 26th Jul 2021, 1:57 pm   #3

I went through a microscope phase a few years ago, fascinating things. I killed a fly to look at it, marvellous biological engineering. I was so impressed I can't swat any bug now, I hope the bug community forgave me. One thing to look at is a diluted drop of milk, you can see Brownian motion, amazing.

Old 26th Jul 2021, 9:57 pm   #4
greenstar
Octode

Graham, looks like 1870's ish or earlier. Rotating disc for a condenser, single objective, and a separate magnifier on stand! Very nice. Those magnifiers go for quite a bit. had my first microscope, a Britex Naturalist, when I was eight and did a zoology degree, but have always been into radios too. I have now two brass microscopes! Not planning on any more.
Photos are from the ebay listing - the second one includes an unconnected camera lens that was thrown in! But I would like to date the second, W F Stanley, and I have a couple of questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Other Continental.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	238270   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600x.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	238271  
Old 26th Jul 2021, 11:47 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Oh yes, and one of those brass cylinders with the screw top filled with wadding to store the objectives. Another thing I lost a lifetime ago.
Old 27th Jul 2021, 3:18 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

There are more of us than you originally thought.
Mine was inherited from my late father who bought it second hand when he went to uni in the 1950s.
It folds down into a compact carry case that still has the key to the lock.
There is also a lamp that does not fit in the carry case that may not be original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	238282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	238283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	238284  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 9:37 pm   #7
greenstar
Octode

Refugee, that's lovely. I like the case with compartments for all the odds and ends. The lamp is I assume an oil lamp? If the silvery parts are aluminium, that must be an early use of it and rather exotic at the time?
Old 28th Jul 2021, 4:56 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

The lamp is electric with a flange bulb that looks no more than 6 volts. The glass is looking a little bit black but the filament looks intact.
Closed Thread