UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2021, 7:27 am   #1
wattlessdropper
Triode

Default Repainting/re-labelling Collins A style Equipment

Hey Folks

Anyone out there have experience of screen-printing Collins equipment such as 51J3 receiver with the dark grey crackle finish?

I'm having a 51J3 professionally repainted with a close equivalent paint finish but also hope to devise a method of re-labelling the front panel i.e. transfers or a screen print if it can also be done professionally if such a service can be found?

73s

Ian G6TVJ
Old 1st Jul 2021, 10:26 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Repainting/re-labelling Collins A style Equipment

I think you need to ask around screen printing firms to see if any have printed onto crackle before. Any problem and the crackle paint job is ruined, and you're back to square one.

HP, in my time, screen printed onto eggshell finish, which is a lot less 3-D than crackle. Both the paint and the ink were 2-pack types, and the ink went on before the paint was entirely cured, so the ink chemically bonded to the paint for durability.

David
Old 1st Jul 2021, 11:08 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I'm fairly sure my AR88 has smooth windows in the crackle where the printing is applied.
Did they mask it? I shouldn't think so but I do wonder if they skimmed it with a tool before printing on it.
Old 1st Jul 2021, 3:23 pm   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Here is a picture of what I was trying to describe.
I assume it's original though I have seen others that are not done like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ar88_labels.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	236888  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 9:30 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

I've not seen one like that before. I've just dug down to my spares AR88 which has silk screened lettering on top of the crackle, no flat spots. My main AR88 is an old one which has an engraved front panel and an all-yellow tuning scale. I can understand why they flattened the crackle. The font of your printing looks just the same as that on my direct-to-crackle one.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:05 am   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Yes it's always puzzled me somewhat.

It looks original but I have never seen another one like it. I think that printing direct on the crackle gives the more attractive result.
Closed Thread