UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 3:11 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Any knowledgeable cine projector enthusiasts on the forum?

Hi all,
I recently bought a Kodak A15-G standard 8mm projector. I have a lot of standard 8 home movies that I inherited a few years back but sold my projector during a clear out prior to this. Anyway, I recently picked up a Kodak A15-G projector that is small enough to tuck away easily. The only problem is that the bulb is blown and it uses one of these stupidly overpriced DFC type bulbs. The one in it currently is an Atlas DFN type so it looks as though there may be a few variations that would fit okay.

Does anyone on the forum know of any good alternatives for the DFC bulb, they're (I believe) 125v 150w types. Anything that won't cost the earth would be ideal just so I can watch these family films I've had given.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 3:34 pm   #2
phildil
Pentode

Default Re: Any knowledgeable cine projector enthusiasts on the forum?

Yes - 125v 150w and since they're likely no longer made, prices are running at about forty clams for a "new old stock" lamp that might last a couple of dozen hours.

Replacement modules are available which enable a standard halogen lamp to be used, see here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251663608536

however the price is still prohibitive.

alternatives - make one of these gizmos up yourself or find another projector that natively uses a £10 halogen lamp. Lots of dual-format 8mm machines are available which would let you run Super 8 film as well.

cheers
Phil
Old 4th Aug 2021, 9:50 am   #3
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Thanks for the help Phil, it looks as though the best route would be to make some type of halogen holder to fit the projector. I don't think the ones linked would work very well as the bulb sits 90° out from the type of projector listed there (it uses a mirror to angle the light through to the film gate).

A shame they are so expensive, it does look like some new ones are being made but they're unbranded and still an extortionate price, I suppose I can always wait and see if one pops up for sale too.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 1:20 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

It is usually the switch-on surge that kills bulbs. I remember a column in one of the photographic magazines written by a professional projectionist who remarked that, since investing in a Variac that was used both to ensure the mains voltage was not excessive (a problem in rural areas at the time) and to slowly apply power at start-up, he had never had a bulb fail. Instead, he only had to fit a new one when the old one had became too dark by deposited tungsten inside the envelope to give a bright enough picture. The later Eumig projectors with 12V bulbs used to connect the high power projector bulb in series with the low wattage threading bulb to pre-heat the main bulb to a barely visible red glow when the projector was plugged in but the film was not running. When the film transport was started, the threading bulb was automatically shorted out.

As a schoolboy I couldn't afford the expensive thermistor-based start-up accessories so I made my open anti-surge box for my slide projector using a watty wire-wound resistor and a switch to manually short it out once the bulb was lit. If you do find a replacement bulb, modding the projector to allow a resistor to be temporarily connected in series with the bulb when starting, should extend its life.
Old 5th Aug 2021, 4:30 pm   #5
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

That would be something definitely worth considering, it should be simple enough to do really so I will look into it, anything to extend the life of thd bulbs is worth consideration. I have found a bulb that I hope fits, a type DFN/S, this looks like a DFN with an extra filament on the bottom edge of the reflector. looking at some old GEC data online it was a recommended replacement for the DFC/DFN bulbs so hopefully all will be fine. It still cost a pretty penny but not half as bad as the original DFC/DFN types so I'm fairly happy. I'll update once I receive it and fit.
Closed Thread