UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2021, 1:13 am   #1
Earhairy
Diode

Default Grundig Satellit 2400 SL

I know nothing about radios, but I have been given a Grundig Satellit 2400 SL, which was originally bought in Germany. I would appreciate any information on how to use it safely in the UK, with regard to power settings. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:49 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 2400 SL

Congratulations, these are superb radios.

What exactly are you concerned about? They were designed for international use and will be fine on UK mains. Just select 220/240V.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:13 pm   #3
Earhairy
Diode

Thank you very much for such a swift response. My concern arose from watching videos on Youtube showing vintage radios requiring a replacement transformer due to incorrect power settings. The radio also came with a ZNR 10K 431 component, which I believe is a varistor, and an instruction that 'This is connected between live and neutral in UK socket, long wire to live.' I have no idea what this means, but I took courage from your response, and tried it out. It is indeed a superb radio, and will venture into the short wave frequencies. If you reply to this, and I suspect you've been asked this the umpteenth time, I would be forever obliged to you if you could recommend any books or websites catering for the complete novice about radio electronics and short wave listening. Thanks again.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 9:56 am   #4
paulsherwin

Just do some googling, there are vast resources on the web at all levels of complexity. You could do worse than start with this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_listening

You should be aware that many broadcasters have ended their shortwave transmissions in the last couple of decades for a number of reasons, and there is less stuff to listen to than there used to be.
Closed Thread