UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:47 pm   #1
daveobuchanan
Pentode

Default Thurlby PL320 R8 current sense resistor.

Hi,
I have 2 0f these dual output supplies, acquired from different places,,with faults. One has a broken voltage control pot. The left hand supply works on both, where as, on both right hand boards the R8 0.5R resister has been chopped out. Is that normal?
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:45 pm   #2
daveobuchanan
Pentode

Default Re: Thurlby PL320 R8 current sense resistor.

Right, I have put in a 0.5r resistor, and now I get current, but the voltage is bouncing around. am confused.

few minutes.

PR1 intermittent...replaced with a 470r and all is peaceful....
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:57 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

Quick work Dave! I don't have any info on this model

It's good here
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 1:15 am   #4
mhennessy
Dekatron

If it's a QMD - with the 4 switches in the middle - then the current sense resistor is moved off the board for the master (RH) supply. An aluminium-clad type is bolted to the bottom of chassis. This is because it needs to cope with 4A rather than 2A when working in parallel mode. Perhaps a wire has broken between it and the board?
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 8:10 am   #5
daveobuchanan
Pentode

Yes that must be it. I looked at the circuits and no mention. To investigate what has happened. I know one of them had an "accident" with a car battery .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
If it's a QMD - with the 4 switches in the middle - then the current sense resistor is moved off the board for the master (RH) supply. An aluminium-clad type is bolted to the bottom of chassis. This is because it needs to cope with 4A rather than 2A when working in parallel mode. Perhaps a wire has broken between it and the board?
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 10:45 am   #6
mhennessy
Dekatron

One of mine came to me with a missing track on the switch PCB. It had been vaporised by a gross overload - no idea what caused it, but suspected it was something like a car battery...

I can't remember how that affected the operation - it was 20 years ago - but since then, I've always made a point of inspecting that PCB. It's easy to overlook as there's not much on it, but it does carry a fair bit of current in certain modes.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:36 pm   #7
daveobuchanan
Pentode

The first unit is working now, just waiting for some parts. I had a look at the other one, and the right hand channel has a current limit fault. PR3 1K tweaker has failed open circuit like PR1 on the other unit. Feeling quietly pleased with my self.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 12:15 pm   #8
Pamphonica
Nonode

Well done Dave, very satisfying!
Closed Thread