UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2021, 8:52 am   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Tape less Cassette Deck Project

http://www.mp3tapelessdeck.pl/sony-t...l#.YP0XgehKi1u

Found this late last night and thought pretty good actually
Old 25th Jul 2021, 8:15 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape less Cassette Deck Project

Well that is certainly different.

David
Old 25th Jul 2021, 9:26 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Fun, but what a waste of a particularly nice machine.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 9:57 pm   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

What next, a diskless record player with rotating LP simulation?

Peter
Old 25th Jul 2021, 11:27 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

And mp3 sounds worse than a decent cassette...
Old 26th Jul 2021, 9:20 am   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

It's not something I would be interested in buying but you have to admire the ingenuity and idea. It could be a niche item and I give the guy credit for coming up with the idea. It's novel and original and way beyond anything I could achieve. So it's a simulation. It's no worse than other simulations I've seen like an simulated analogue clock where you touch the screen to 'grab' the minute hand to set the time.....
Old 26th Jul 2021, 12:03 pm   #7
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks for the replies folks-yes totally agree with the waste of a machine,but i guess if you had one with a BER deck then its an option.Sound quality wise yes still a bit of a tape head myself but great idea and concept limited market but nicley done.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 1:00 pm   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

I think it's great and I wonder if they could make a cassette/ cartridge that could be slotted in to an unmodified deck to do a similar thing?

I agree that I would sooner have a working cassette deck, but I'd like to own one of these if it was made using a deck that was mechanically past it.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 1:23 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

For me it "falls between two stools". It's neither one thing nor the other. It's not designed from the ground up for practical listening or recording.

Back in the day millions used cassettes because they were useful for recording and listening to music, talks etc. They were just tools, a means to an end.

To me this is the sort of thing you would buy for "the person who already has everything else". A novelty, a talking point for a few seconds. A "first world problem" perhaps.

Some will buy them and then I guess they will eventually become collectable.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 2:53 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I like the way they've successfully simulated the 'machine with a juddering take-up clutch' problem...
It's a lot better than those so-called upcyclers who would turn it into a table lamp or a cat basket though.
It'll never sell to the sort of people who want this sort of thing - it's far too cheap!!
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:21 pm   #11
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
I think it's great and I wonder if they could make a cassette/ cartridge that could be slotted in to an unmodified deck to do a similar thing?

I agree that I would sooner have a working cassette deck, but I'd like to own one of these if it was made using a deck that was mechanically past it.
Martin-might be worth an email to the person involved with its uptake,he replied to my enquiry and very helpful
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:22 pm   #12
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I like the way they've successfully simulated the 'machine with a juddering take-up clutch' problem...
It's a lot better than those so-called upcyclers who would turn it into a table lamp or a cat basket though.
It'll never sell to the sort of people who want this sort of thing - it's far too cheap!!
Yes I liked that aswell as the slides for the cassette shell skins to be changed and some of the manual controls for playback useable too,interesting if it could record as like!
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:24 pm   #13
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
For me it "falls between two stools". It's neither one thing nor the other. It's not designed from the ground up for practical listening or recording.

Back in the day millions used cassettes because they were useful for recording and listening to music, talks etc. They were just tools, a means to an end.

To me this is the sort of thing you would buy for "the person who already has everything else". A novelty, a talking point for a few seconds. A "first world problem" perhaps.

Some will buy them and then I guess they will eventually become collectable.
Yes Tim good lead on those points but oi have to say its a great job and looks like he can configure for others aswell,very clever,
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:28 pm   #14
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
And mp3 sounds worse than a decent cassette...
Yeap years ago I was the proud owner of a Nakamichi Dragon and to be honest that made most tapes look daft it was that brilliant peice of kitGet it right on the recodings and would leave everything else standing in its hey day and still commends a worthy audience even these days.Ive had many high end decks over the years but the Nak was my Fave
Old 26th Jul 2021, 7:12 pm   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I just don't see the point: IMHO "Wolfgang" on Rowan&Martin's Laugh-In summed this thing up beautifully.

https://youtu.be/ia2tHDNGfT8

"Vairy Interestink.... but Stoopid!!"
Old 26th Jul 2021, 7:19 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
Yeap years ago I was the proud owner of a Nakamichi Dragon and to be honest that made most tapes look daft it was that brilliant peice of kit
Surely the reproduction-quality could never exceed that of the original recording? [There were some truly-awful cassettes sold; I bought quite a few of them over the years...]

"Recreating the cassette experience" is something I'm happy to avoid, along with nylon sheets [anyone remember Brentford Nylons?], Birds Instant Whip and revising for Mock-A-levels by candlelight because there was a pit-strike.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 10:47 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Some people act as if the sound reproduced by a cult-supported turntable/arm/cartridge/amplifier is better than the original, so maybe tape decks shouldn't miss out on the action. Equipment which doesn't alter the sound in the pundit-approved way is dismissed as 'sterile' so the original performance must have been lacking.

I did try looking it up in my Funk & Wagnalls.

David
Old 26th Jul 2021, 11:00 pm   #18
peterpixel
Pentode

Link between posts #15 and #17 I think is very funny. I loved the programme.Best regards to all. Peter.

Last edited by peterpixel; 26th Jul 2021 at 11:04 pm. Reason: Correcting grammatical mistake.
Closed Thread