UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2021, 12:16 pm   #21
deliverance
Heptode

Default Re: Wima 5/35 capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverance View Post
Yes this one has gone pop ! Its off the 1.4 mhz oscillator board the service manual only shows the top of the board not the bottom it has brown red brown stripes on it so I am stumped as to the value .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
You’ll have to work out what it’s connected to and then find those parts on the circuit diagram.
Yes I would do that but the downloaded service manual has parts of it missing . And it's the only one I can find.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 12:48 pm   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Going back to terrestrial matters, tantalum beads only go pop when used in power supply decoupling.
While that's true, they can and will fail in a non-pop way when fed from higher impedance sources. Grundig used coupling tantalums in their somewhat higher end hifi amplifiers, and they're prone to generating crackling, popping or noisy noises that you'd normally attribute to failing transistors (those with black legs for example). I haven't paid attention to the working voltage, will do if I get any more in, but I don't think they were as severely underdimensioned as in your example.

Last edited by Maarten; 24th Jul 2021 at 12:53 pm.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 12:50 pm   #23
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Attachment 238121 Hi all, What type of capacitor is this.
First, make sure they're really capacitors. I've seen chokes that look a lot like this.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 1:35 pm   #24
deliverance
Heptode

You are correct Maarten it's a 120uH Cambion inductor I honestly thought it was a tantalum. I managed to find a better copy of the service manual and all became clear. Next problem finding one.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 5:21 pm   #25
deliverance
Heptode

The conductor is a 120uH Cambion type there are no further details in the service manual, it's on a oscillator board the most volts involved is 20 VDC what can I replace it with? Thanks .
Old 25th Jul 2021, 8:10 pm   #26
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thank you for the interesting information about tantalum capacitors. I didn't realise there were others than the dipped bead types, and was confused reading how reliable they were when I knew that some in my tape deck were causing problems!

The little bead ones are quite useful for replacing equivalent parts in my Uhers, so if your offer was serious julesomega, then I'd be interested!

deliverance - here are some 120 µH leaded inductors from RS.

It appears Cambion still exist, so you could ask them if they have an equivalent
. I am not a circuit expert so I don't know if there's a stringent and particular requirement for this part that means a generic inductor won't be suitable.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 11:49 pm   #27
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
You are correct Maarten it's a 120uH Cambion inductor I honestly thought it was a tantalum. I managed to find a better copy of the service manual and all became clear. Next problem finding one.
Oh how embarrassing I knew I'd seen things like that somewhere. I've got a few values but not 120uH in that style

It's good here
Old 26th Jul 2021, 5:46 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

As the late L Lawry-Johns commented in Practical Television many years ago. 'Beware the Blue Tant.' J.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 6:00 pm   #29
duncanlowe
Nonode

There are certainly inductors in that style. My Marconi signal generator is full of them in the power supply decoupling section. Need to remove them to replace the blue tants.
Closed Thread