UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2021, 7:22 pm   #21
eddie_ce
Hexode

Default Re: Tungsram valves?

Hi G6Tanuki,

many thanks for that info. It seems you have answered my question.

Old 27th Jun 2021, 9:18 pm   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In the UK Tungsram valves were distributed by wholesalers. Valves made by Mullard had up to the mid to late sixties American type codes, for example the ECL80 was the 6AB8 but later that decade Pro-Electron codes appeared on the valves.

DFWB.
Old 28th Jun 2021, 9:15 am   #23
60136 Alcazar
Pentode

British Tungsram was incorporated in 1933, a subsidiary of the United Incandescent Company of Budapest and part of the same group as the Austrian SATOR company and shared distributors. Tungsram valves at this time were assembled in Britain from parts imported from Hungary. As British Tungsram was not a member of the BVA, it was in a position to undercut the BVA manufacturers, and its advertising claimed that its valves were of advanced construction whilst their prices were virtually half BVA prices. The annexation of Austria by Germany on 12th March 1938 should have had little effect on the Austrian Sator company’s supply of components since there were no trade sanctions imposed by the British government on Germany at this point, and indeed, continued trade was still encouraged. With the outbreak of the second world war in September 1939, parts from both Austria (now in the German Reich), and Hungary (supportive of Germany) would have been impossible to source under the Trading with the Enemy act, in force by 5th September. The Tungsram valves were subsequently remanufactured in the UK, and alhough their physical appearance suggests this was by the Marconi company, Tungsram merged with Philips-Mullard in the 1940s, and Mullard factories supplied the Tungsram brand.
Old 14th Jul 2021, 12:11 pm   #24
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I can also recall at least one 30's radio that specified Tungsram, it might have been Pegasus.
I am not sure Pegasus did use Tungsram, some of the time I think they used Mullard. One company which did specify Tungsram in the early 1930s was Sunbeam, as for instance in their model U35. This used the "2018" series of valves, with no easy equivalents whatsoever due to the 20v heater. I heard of one other U.K. manufacturer which also had this Tungsram valve line-up, can't remember the name but I had never heard of it previously.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:07 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Attachments show a CV589 valve, equivalent 6Q7GT. The date code J6C indicates the valve was made by Mullard at the Tungsram works in Tottenham.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CV589.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	238127   Click image for larger version

Name:	CV589_J6C.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	238128  
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:46 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Fascinating! Given the historic Mullard/Philips tie-up I wonder if any Tungsram-made valves were ever branded/marketed as Philips?

[I remember that at one time quite a few popular Mullard valves were made largely from parts imported from Eindhoven and there was a joke that 'the only British part of a Mullard valve was the vacuum']
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:57 pm   #27
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There was an article in the Radio Bygones magazine about the development of frequency changer valves. I seem to remember reading that the EK2 octode was developed by Tungsram and and was adopted by Philips.
A photo copy of the article exists in the shop. I'll try to dig it out to confirm if I've got those facts right.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 23rd Jul 2021 at 9:14 pm.
Closed Thread