UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2021, 12:41 pm   #21
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: Sp.E 28MHz fun!

Lots of short skip from 9am today until present.

On just 4W with an 1/2 wave vertical, I spoke to an operator in Normandy (France), 2 stations in Sussex, and a station in Hampshire on UK 27/81.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 8:02 pm   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I did all right today as well, spoke to a couple of operators who were on either side of the Bristol Channel from my (then) location in Ardnamurchan, on the far west side of the Scottish mainland. Again just 4W from a Midland 78 + Springer/Stinger mobile aerial. I heard a lot more but most were carrying on local conversations and didn't leave any decent gap for me to jump into, I focused on the few who clearly were listening out for DX.

It's a shame you are in the 'middle' of the country, that probably puts you inside the dead zone distance from me even for short-skip otherwise we could have attempted an arranged 'sked'. I've been hearing the whole of the south of England for most of the day but nothing from Oop North.

In the next few days, with the weather finally improving up here, I'm hoping to get out of the car and do some walking, probably healthier.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 1:17 am   #23
Damo666
Hexode

Hello Sirius,

Reasonably decent conditions today, but none of the welcome sporadic E & short skip as seen yesterday.

I only managed to get ~1 hour on air today but got a short QSO with 161 & 30 division, Poland & Spain respectively.

A bit off topic, but I also got my hands on a lovely Stalker IV FDX today, and it's in great condition & sounds well on RX/TX, too.

When conditions pick up & I increase my RF power a little, we'll have to arrange a time & frequency.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:01 am   #24
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm afraid it would be a one way contact as I only ever use 4W and FM. Nice find though.

In my current location (far north west Scotland) I am so far away from the south of England that that area falls within 'normal' SP-E distance, I don't need short-skip, but what SP-E there was yesterday wasn't as strong as it had been earlier in the week.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 2:50 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Was 'interesting' on 28MHz yesterday - mid-afternoon I was working stations in the far North of Scotland [Wick]. and the south of Spain. Seemed to be a very definite north:south preferential effect.

Then it started to rain, bringing with it the S9+++ wet-weather-fizzlies from a nearby 33Kv overhead power-line.

[It's still raining]
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:43 pm   #26
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

[Alas, with the closedown of Band-I broadcast VHF TV we've lost the opportunity to watch Italian soap-operas or Spanish horseracing which I remember from the 70s and 80s.]
Maybe not the same thrill but they now available on satellite.
Old 1st Jul 2021, 6:48 pm   #27
electronicskip
Nonode

Plenty of 2m action yesterday getting stuff from all over
Old 1st Jul 2021, 7:29 pm   #28
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Plenty of 2m action yesterday getting stuff from all over
I think there must be abit of a 'lift' on today too: this afternoon I was hearing GB3BC repeater [Pontypridd] on 145.750 which is a path-length of around 100 miles. I didn't know what CTCSS tone to use so couldn't try opening it with my mere 2.5 Watts to a 5/8-wave.
Old 1st Jul 2021, 9:11 pm   #29
cmjones01
Nonode

I just this evening advised a friend here in Warsaw on wiring up a CB radio in his vehicle. He switched on to test it and pretty much the first thing he heard was truckers in Denmark talking to each other. Not bad for a first attempt!

Chris
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 10:58 am   #30
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
I just this evening advised a friend here in Warsaw on wiring up a CB radio in his vehicle. He switched on to test it and pretty much the first thing he heard was truckers in Denmark talking to each other. Not bad for a first attempt!

Chris
Im getting a very strong signal on AM (cb) ch38 uk this morning of a few German channels which is suprising as i dont usually hear anything at all as the frequency is normally pretty dead except for FM .