UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2021, 12:12 pm   #1
andrewferguson
Pentode

Default [Free] Ekco Stereogram SRG431

I've offered this before, but there was no interest (and the thread has since closed). I thought I'd try one last time before this gets scrapped.

Several years ago I was given this radiogram by a friend who no longer had the space for it. While the radio was working, the record deck was broken beyond what I could repair, so I swapped it out for one of those 80s / 90s all-in-one Music Centres that fitted quite well into the space where the record deck used to be and wired it up into the external input.

This worked well for many years but changing requirements now mean I need the space. The radio worked well when I last used it around 6 months ago (picked up BBC Radio 2), although I haven't tested it extensively. I imagine that some of the more knowledgeable folks on here would be able to source a suitable replacement record deck. (I've since given away the Music Centre so it is currently without a record deck.).

The cabinet is a bit scuffed, though, especially on the top where the finish is peeling away (see pictures).

The radiogram is currently located in Lamington, near Biggar. You will need a large car / van to transport it! In the likely case that there is no interest, I will be transporting it back to Edinburgh to be recycled, so if you're local to the Edinburgh area I could probably deliver.

I don't imagine there will be much interest in this, but I hope it can find a home, rather than being dumped. According to RadioMuseum.org the chassis is shared with the Ferranti SRG1120, so if you have one of them needing repair it might be useful?

I'm hoping that someone will want the whole thing, but I'm also realistic. If someone just wants the chassis, I could probably take it out (and postage may be more possible in this case). In fact, if there is no interest I may end up keeping the chassis just because I think it's such a shame to dump it - not that I have any use for it.

Oh, and I've got the original instruction manual and warranty card to go along with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9942.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	235760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9943.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	235761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9944.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	235762  
Old 12th Jun 2021, 12:58 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: [Free] Ekco Stereogram SRG431

For those thinking about this very nice unit, the motor board cut out is for a Garrard AT5, so any of the "Autoslim" based autochangers just drop in.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 1:54 pm   #3
Buzby123
Hexode

Big devices like this have a limited appeal nowadays, many people just don't have the room for them anymore.

I wonder if a film/TV prop company would be interested in taking it ?.

This company ( http://www.tvfilmprops.co.uk/pages/93/Need-to-Talk/ ) might be a start.

NOTE : I have no association with this company, I just found it while searching for something else.

If a flim prop company took it, that would at least be better than scrapping it.

Cheers,

Buzby
Old 12th Jun 2021, 1:57 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Even the dreaded sideboard / cocktail cabinet conversion would be better than scrapping it. It looks to be in nice cosmetic condition.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 4:33 pm   #5
andrewferguson
Pentode

Member slidertogrid has expressed interest in the chassis from this, in order to repair a Ferranti SRG1120 (which uses an identical chassis, according to RadioMuseum.org). This is a good conclusion I think, since mine is already missing the record deck and the cabinet is rather scuffed on the top.

I'm happy for this thread to be closed now.
Closed Thread