UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2021, 2:18 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Spraying a prepared (de-rusted) steel chassis.

Hi.
Bit of an odd one this.
I decided, having stripped and de-rusted it, that I wanted to finish a larg(ish) steel chassis in a hammered brown.
Having primed it, I started spraying it with Rustoleum Hammered Brown aerosol spray paint. (Image of product attached.)
The first can worked fine but exhausted before I'd finished, so I sourced another.
Then the problems started.
Simply said, the trigger doesn't work properly.
You have to put your finger up almost to the nozzle for it to spray at all, then press very hard for it to spray.
The output is then variable and blotchy.
I've now sourced two cans from different suppliers with the same result.
It's most peculiar, anyone else had issues with this product?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rhb.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	235362  
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 5:16 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Spraying a prepared (de-rusted) steel chassis.

Is it possible to remove the top of the empty can and fit it to the full can ,I have had this problem not with that make though , Mick.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 6:31 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That is an odd one, as Mick says, try pulling the top off the old one and swapping it if you still have it. One problem I have had with Halfords spray cans before was them leaking all their gas out after the first use, that resulted in what little gas was left not propelling the paint enough and made a blotchy finish. Is it a proper aerosol can? It looks like it has an unusual trigger on top. It might be worth getting in touch with the manufacturers and telling them about this problem, maybe they’ll send you a replacement.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 9:47 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Sometimes special paints have a low turnover and could be relatively old stock and the contents settle. I’ve had some where they need a lot of shaking to mix the thinners with the settled paint and additives. Unless properly mixed the thick settlement clogs the tube inside and can block the spray head.
Old 4th Jun 2021, 8:48 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

It should be noted that shaking the can should also include spinning the ball bearing around the inside of it. Shake, spin, shake, spin......
Old 4th Jun 2021, 1:26 pm   #6
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
It should be noted that shaking the can should also include spinning the ball bearing around the inside of it. Shake, spin, shake, spin......
Agreed, I do this - for about three minutes before attempting to use a can.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 12:23 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Not sure if it's the case with this particular style of spray-can but in the last few years I've come across various aerosol-cans that are designed with a little 'web' of plastic moulded between the button and the outer-part; this is a security feature to stop people 'spraying' the can in-store as a tester before buying it.

Press the button hard-down first-time and the little 'web' audibly snaps, thereafter it sprays as normal. If you don't realise the web is there, you can still get a sort-of spray by pressing the button so it distorts on the little tube which connects it to the can to open the valve - but keeping it like this involves loads of finger-pressure and the distortion between the tube and the sprayer-nozzle often results in leakage.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 1:50 pm   #8
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Hi G6.
Thanks for the thought. Their fancy can uses a different trigger lock illustrated.
Apparently, they used to use a conventional can once - but no longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rhb.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	235508