UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2020, 2:28 pm   #1
cradlefish
Triode

Default Panasonic SG 4000 - cassette channel issue

Hi all,
I recently bought this lovely Panasonic 3 in 1 system from the 70s. New stylus and turntable belt have restored the record player to glory, radio works beautifully and I've even managed to connect my phone via the din socket. It sounds lovely but I have an issue with the cassette deck...
The right channel sounds muddy, quiet and seems to click/beep/grumble when playing. I've tried cleaning the heads (both with a tape cleaner and manually) but nothing seems to work. I know it's not the amp as all the other inputs work beautifully and I've removed the top to have a look inside but can't see anything obvious. It's not even that dusty in there!
If I shift the manual balance all the way to the left it sounds fine, it's just the right.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12th Aug 2020, 2:34 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Panasonic SG 4000 - cassette channel issue

You may need to adjust the tape head azimuth, especially if a previous owner has been twiddling with it.

Otherwise, have you cleaned all the switch contacts with Servisol or something similar?
Old 12th Aug 2020, 2:58 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Enlarging on what Paul said, try putting an unimportant or blank recordable tape in the machine and repeatedly pressing and releasing the record switch, around 100 times. If doing so alters / aggravates or 'cures' this behaviour you need to do an internal clean on the long record / playback switch which is operated by the record key when that is pressed.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:14 pm   #4
cradlefish
Triode

Thanks for your replies. I haven't done a clean of the switch contacts yet so will give it a go. Need to dig out some blank cassettes to try the recording button technique - the button won't depress so I'm guessing I need a tape in to make this work.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 5:20 pm   #5
cradlefish
Triode

And it's fixed!!!! It was the azimuth that was hilariously out of line. Will probably try and give it all a good clean in there as well - it was sitting on a charity shop shelf for some time! Thanks so much for all your help!!!
Old 15th Aug 2020, 8:07 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Nice work, another one saved. I seem to remember those being among the nicer models of Music Centre.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 11:30 pm   #7
kirstyd
Heptode

i have one of these bought in 1977 .The let down was its speakers but with a decent pair connected it sound very good indeed .never understood why a company would go to the trouble of building a half decent music centre and then couple it up with poor speakers .Dont get me wrong they are ok but once you try it with some good ones the difference is astounding
Closed Thread