UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 20th Dec 2013, 3:35 pm   #41
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
they both bore the same reg with an A suffix
Which WAS correct for 1963.
Whether or not robbers would have had new getaway vehicles of course..............
Old 20th Dec 2013, 4:35 pm   #42
peter_scott
Dekatron

In the second part of the Great Train Robbery the Police turn up in a white Jag MkII fitted with a Webasto roof! This seems an unlikely accessory for a Police force to specify.

Peter
peter_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2013, 10:48 pm   #43
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Currently watching Len Goodmans Dance Band days BBC4. Lots of technical references. There was a set at the beginning that's late 1940's. As this program is largely pre-war this might be out of place? I'm sure theres lots to go at but it's all quite interesting anyway. 78s/Mikes/BBC Archives/Racism and the Beeb being behind the curve as usual.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2013, 8:01 am   #44
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
"we heard the 'long' final pip"
Yep, I spotted (heard) that, plus a few others.

For instance: When they got into the engine shed & started up the diesel engine and then it 'run away' and they had to jump out, leaving the engine to run along the distant track....how come it didn't come to a stop as no one was holding the dead man's handle open ?!
Old 24th Dec 2013, 9:25 am   #45
Andrew2
Nonode

^^ They even mentioned the dead man's handle when they started the loco! Somehow it was forgotten in the quest for drama.
Old 24th Dec 2013, 10:15 am   #46
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Actually, for me, that was probably the most ridiculous scene of what was a pretty good drama. I'm sure half the viewing population were shouting "let go of the dead man's handle!". The robbers did have a try at driving an engine in a shunting yard but Reynolds' chance encounter with Biggs (with his engine driver contact) seemed to solve the problem. 1963 had a bad winter and a poor summer but I doubt there'd have been snow on the ground by the time they went engine driving.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2013, 1:24 pm   #47
pmmunro
Octode

On a slightly different aspect of the topic; does anyone know when oil lamps with bulbous funnels came into use? The patented Argand lamp which first used a funnel had one of cylindrical form according to the sources I've found.

Also, why do oil lamps in film or TV dramas always seem to have the wick turned up too high leaving soot on the funnel? I would have thought that every child would have been taught from a very early age that having the wick too high caused smoke and was a wicked waste - after all most things children did were wicked (in the sinful sense).

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2013, 12:58 am   #48
Herald1360
Dekatron

I wonder if an oil lamp simply isn't bright enough to be seen to be lit under film lighting if the wick is trimmed properly.

In a film, it only has to be seen to be alight, it doesn't actually have to do anything useful.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2013, 1:14 am   #49
AC/HL
Dekatron

On a brightly lit set it couldn't unless it was turned right up. This is TV (or Film) drama after all. Real life stops at the stage door, It's all an illusion, and it mostly works.
Remember the yellow nurses uniforms on Emergency Ward 10. White caused the cameras to flare.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2013, 1:44 pm   #50
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the Pye radio telephones in the 'Heartbeat' police vehicles apparently work without aerials - except the one on the bike.
Yup: noticed that. I've also seen the radio operator back at the station receiving those VHF transmissions - on a Trio 9R59 short-wave comms. receiver! Surely they could have found a Pye base station somewhere, (even if it was just an empty case), or failing that, knock up a 'look alike'?

Al.
Skywave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2013, 3:34 pm   #51
AC/HL
Dekatron

No chance of fitting an aerial to a vintage car loaned for a shoot. It was difficult enough persuading owners when they were in common use. Mag mount perhaps, but that would also be noticeable if you look.
Old 25th Dec 2013, 7:57 pm   #52
colly0410
Pentode

The one that annoys me is when they say "over & out." We were told on the first day of my army signallers course "if you say over & out you're on a charge."
colly0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2013, 11:44 pm   #53
JoshWard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
No chance of fitting an aerial to a vintage car loaned for a shoot.
Some of the Police vehicles (including the black Ford Anglia and I believe the panda car Ford Anglia) were owned by the production company so they didn't have to keep hiring cars all the time so I guess they just didn't think about putting aerials on them...!
A bit like at the pub which must be in nearly every episode of Heartbeat- one day the sash windows were ripped out and replaced with plastic ones! A common occurrence in 'period' television programmes with no attempt to disguise them, plenty in The Great Train Robbery!
JoshWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2013, 12:07 pm   #54
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
I've also seen the radio operator back at the station receiving those VHF transmissions - on a Trio 9R59 short-wave comms. receiver! Surely they could have found a Pye base station somewhere, (even if it was just an empty case), or failing that, knock up a 'look alike'?
I've got one in my loft if they do another series.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2013, 10:26 am   #55
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I watched a bit of "Dad's Army" (the movie) last night, and the scene in the wartime radio shop was full of anachronisms, from a post-war A22 in the window to a late 40s Alba. The shop owner describes the set he is demonstrating as a "Dulcitone" but it's clearly an early 30s Philips.

Spotting these things is an excellent way of involving partners and spouses in our unique hobby... at the same time introducing us to some period drama that just might be entertaining.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2013, 11:14 pm   #56
colly0410
Pentode

In the Dads Army film I spotted some UHF TV aerials on some of houses near the road block. When I pointed them out to SWMBO & Mother-in-law they shouted at me for being pedantic, they said I'd spoiled the film. I think it adds to the entertainment value to spot anachronisms, they think I'm crackers, but I don't care..
colly0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2014, 3:04 pm   #57
Karen O
Rest in Peace

As a child in the 1970s I recall being sat with my family, watching a 19th century drama on TV (cannot remember which drama). My dad, who was installing burglar alarms at the time, suddenly shouted 'I fitted that bell box!' Sure enough, high on a wall, to the right of someone's top hat was a red bell box.
Karen O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2014, 3:58 pm   #58
broadgage
Nonode

Also in the Dads Army film refered to above, I believe that several fluorescent lights could be seen lighting one of the high street shops.

Although fluorescent lighting had been invented it was not in general use and was restricted to important factories or other enterprises vital to the war effort, not village shops.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2014, 10:13 pm   #59
threeseven
Octode

In the Worlds Biggest Bomb, just on C5, about lead upto the biggest nuclear bomb ever exploded, by the Russians in case you were wondering and called the Tsar Bomb.
There was a recreated scene in an American bunker at the Bikini Atol test of their code name Castle Bravo weapon. The equipment shown was a random collection of test gear, including a '60's Marconi RF sig gen, which I can't think why they would need and anyway Castle Bravo was in 1954!
Old 9th Jan 2014, 1:12 am   #60
AC/HL
Dekatron

If I remember correctly (it was Quiz night at my local tonight) a crashed German bomber in an episode of "Foyle's War" contains an AVO signal generator. Sadly, it didn't ruin it for me, although if it had been damaged I might have shed a tear.