UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2017, 6:28 pm   #1
PhilJay
Diode

Default Anglepoise 1227

Any suggestions to help me identify the thread size on a 1940ish Anglepoise 1227 lamp. There is a bolt at the lowest point of the arms which passes through two of them. I have lost the nut! The thread is very much like a 6BA but it is not. Any suggestions?
Old 6th Mar 2017, 11:58 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Anglepoise 1227

A bit cold and wet tonight for foostering around in the shed looking for thread gauges and the Zeus book - but here goes. The thing you need is 40tpi (6BA is 47.85tpi, being derived from something metric), which makes it either 1/8 BSW or 4-40 UNC. Given it came from the Birmingham which isn't in Alabama, I'd go for the former rather than the latter!

Edit to add - put a mic on it. 1/8bsw it is.

Last edited by mark_in_manc; 7th Mar 2017 at 12:03 am.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:25 pm   #3
PhilJay
Diode

Thumbs up Re: Anglepoise 1227

Many thanks to Mark for digging around. Great help.
Old 27th Aug 2020, 8:31 pm   #4
Christophe9
Diode

Default Anglepoise 1227 and 75 threads

Occasionally people ask about the threads used by Herbert Terry & Sons on their 1227 and 75 lamps. The answer is that they followed the BSI recommended practice of using BA threads for components under 1/4" and BSW over 1/4". The small nuts are 6BA and hex nuts in this size are reasonably easy to find. The knurled tensioning thumb wheel is 5BA. Replacements are extremely hard to find but I've had some success drilling out an M2.5 knurled thumb wheel and re-tapping it with a 5BA tap. The large nut that holds the fork onto the base is 3/8" BSW.
Old 28th Aug 2020, 11:21 am   #5
Christophe9
Diode

A 5BA thread is often used for the heads of decorative mirror screws so another possible work-around could be to cut the head off a mirror screw and epoxy it into a short length of suitable tube, e.g. from a pen barrel. I haven't actually done this but I have verified that a mirror screw will run onto the Anglepoise thread.
Old 28th Aug 2020, 12:21 pm   #6
Christophe9
Diode

Default Re: Anglepoise 1227 and 75 threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe9 View Post
The large nut that holds the fork onto the base is 3/8" BSW.
Correction: the base nut is 1/4" BSW, not 3/8" as stated.
Old 28th Aug 2020, 2:38 pm   #7
mark_in_manc
Octode

I stand corrected (just had another look - not a great day to be outside, but warmer than last time I posted on this ). 0.126, not 1/8 OD, and 43-and-a-bit, not 40 tpi. Well, 5ba taps are not so hard to come by.
Old 28th Aug 2020, 3:32 pm   #8
ex 2 Base
Heptode

For tap, dies, drills, reamers and cutters etc, TRACY TOOLS is the place to be, and I think they are now located in the Torquay area. In my experience they are quick on delivery and reasonably priced.
Closed Thread