UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:04 pm   #1
theretrophoenix
Diode

Default Limit 2 speed fan

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem fan.

I've restored a few old limit fans, but this is the first that's given me any issues.

It was working fine, so I stripped it, got the body sprayed, cleaned it & rewired it. It now works fine for about 30 seconds, but then the little wound thingy just above the controls inside the base gets really hot & starts to smoke. Obviously I'm not an electrician, so don't know the lingo, but the the little wound thingy may be a capacitor? But perhaps not. Maybe someone could tell me.

That part gets extremely hot after just 30 seconds, which I've never seen before & was therefore a complete surprise to me. My question is this: Have I wired it backwards, or has it just decided to die & therefore will I need a replacement part & if I do, what would I need?

The guy who sprayed the body for me removed & lost the little plate from the top of the fan, so the only details I know is that it was rated as 240v & that it has 12" blades.

This one was for my girlfriend & she's a bit disappointed that I'm having issues & she is without the fan that I promised to her.

Any help will therefore be greatly appreciated. Pic of fan & thingy attached.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small fan.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	213915   Click image for larger version

Name:	small thingy.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	213916  
Old 20th Aug 2020, 2:44 am   #2
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: Limit 2 speed fan

That device is a reactor used in the speed control circuit.
Remove it and tie the leads together, so it will run on the high speed only.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 20th Aug 2020, 10:04 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

If a series reactor is smoking, it's seeing too much current! That needs to be investigated since it suggests a motor or wiring problem.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Aug 2020, 11:48 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

It looks like new wires have been soldered too it and it looks a little charred between the terminals. If too much heat was used while soldering the insulation on the winding could have been damaged.

Does the fan spin freely?

David
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 8:42 pm   #5
bionicmerlin
Heptode

HANG ON A SEC.
What’s going on here ?? That picture of the reactor coil is my picture. It’s been taken off a thread I started last year asking for help for my fan.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 10:50 am   #6
theretrophoenix
Diode

Yes,

When I posted the message I was in a bit of a rush as I was getting ready to go away for a few days & didn't have time to disasemble the fan yet again just to take more photo's, so reused a photo I'd found here. I included it as I was hoping someone was going to Identify the part for me & perhaps say, get a replacement from this place, or something.

I wasn't expecting anyone to suggest different issues with the reactor by examining the second pic. I haven't been able to post a picture of the exact part as I haven't been at home, but I will rectify this at some point this afternoon & post some pics of the internals.

I expect that removing the reactor, as suggested in the first reply may be the most sensible option for me.

I appologise for confusing matters by posting a pic of anothers reactor. I did not mean to be unclear in any way.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 12:31 pm   #7
Station X

Members posting pictures of kit they don't actually possess, without saying so, is becoming an increasing problem in the forums and can waste other member's time.

I've seen three recent examples.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 1:44 pm   #8

Perhaps a rule that says "not your photo? attribute it" or words to that effect.

Old 24th Aug 2020, 4:05 pm   #9
theretrophoenix
Diode

OK, here's some pics of my reactor (thanks for USradcoll1 for identifying the part). As I said earlier, I was trying to save a little time & didn't want to reopen the fan again just to take 1 photo when I was in a big rush to get out of the house to drive to the other side of the country, so big thanks to bionicmerlin as I borrowed his pic hoping to get an identification on the part.

I see now that the live cable has now started to melt (image 1), which says to me that the fan is sucking far too much power. USradcoll1 suggests removing the reactor, which I assume will reduce the power demand. I can't see that swapping the live & neutral cables on the motor (assuming I switched them by accident) will resolve things either, so unless I hear different, I will in a few days remove the reactor & then join the two black cables that were feeding it.

I understand all the comments here about me recycling one of bionicmerlin's pic's, but I'm new here & I don't know all the etiquette for posting messages here. This is my first message board. Thank you for enlightening me on that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	214190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	214191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	214192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	214193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	214194  

Old 24th Aug 2020, 9:23 pm   #10
GroovyG
Pentode

I have a friend who was under the impression that insulated crimp connectors were colour coded to indicate polarity. He was somewhat surprised to be told that the red ones were for conductor sizes up to 1.5 sq mm, blue up to 2.5 sq mm etc. I wonder whether this fan has been rewired under the same misapprehension? Use of an over-size connector risks poor contact. It should perhaps also be pointed out that such connectors in mains applications should be formed only using the correct ratchet tool and never with the cheap pressed steel car-accessory-shop versions.
End of rant. Sorry.
G.
Old 25th Aug 2020, 8:51 am   #11
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyG View Post
It should perhaps also be pointed out that such connectors in mains applications should be formed only using the correct ratchet tool and never with the cheap pressed steel car-accessory-shop versions.
OT I know but thank you for that information. I have never got them to crimp correctly. Correct tool now bought.