UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2019, 1:09 pm   #21
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Tag Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
RS online still stock the old tagboards.
The RS tagboards are actually what they used to call 'Miniature' tagboards when they had two sizes, this and 'standard'.

So what's available from RS is actually the old new style, rather than the old old style.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 7:03 am   #22
retailer
Heptode

I've sent an enquiry off to Centraleyelets thanks for the info - who knows I might get lucky.

I've got a box full of paxolin tag boards and do like to reuse them problem is that often some of the tags are corroded (rust), they look to be made from plated steel possibly tin plated. Once they are corroded I find they are quite difficult to solder, with the tags being punched out of a sheet they are not too flat and take a lot of filing to get cleaned up enough to use so I have given up on some and gone back to hand made turret boards, which do look nice once complete but they don't look particularly "vintage" and strangely enough the Chinese turrets are not that easy to solder. I find I need to turn the temp control on my 60W iron up past 390C where as the solder tags are fine at around 340-350C.
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 11:41 am   #23
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello retailer,
Old tags were usually brass - plated with cadmium or solder dipped. In the RAF we used to clean tags & tagboards(and just about everything else) with CTC. Not allowed these days. Once bits of wire tails have been removed, corrosion removed(use a wee Dremel rotary brass brush) - re-tin with 60/40 solder - remember to leave the wee vertical holes open. Then a good scrub with an acceptable solvent to remove flux residue. Then re-tighten (as previously advised).
Adelaide eh? - -spent 2 weeks with friends in Morphett back in Christmas/New Year 1993/94. Great time.

Regards, David
Old 24th Jan 2019, 11:18 am   #24
retailer
Heptode

The tag boards I tried to reuse were real oldies - the resistors I pulled off were the type that had a paper label wrapped around and cast metal ends, I think they predate the body end dot type, the corrosion on the tags was red couloured hence my thinking they were tin coated steel perhaps the aussie stuff was made cheaper.

I used to work in an analytical lab for few years after I left uni and do still have have some CTC and THF (good for dissolving PVC). The real bad stuff - Benzene I sold off once the Gov made it a S7 poison.

Good to hear you had a pleasant stay, but it's not so pleasant today official shade temp 46C - I measured temp with a non contact thermometer - 52C under my pergola and the rear deck that is in full sun 76C, no wonder the dogs don't want to make the short trip across deck to the back garden to do their business.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 6:03 pm   #25
David Simpson
Nonode

Re your old tags retailer, I don't think that they would be tinned steel. Rusty old bare steel looks pretty brown, not red. Back in the 20's 30's & 40's, and at times later, some radio companies clarted their soldered connections with a coloured lacquer to prevent oxidisation. I've seen reddish, purple-ish, and brown-ish coloured lacquers in the past. A Roo's backside of a job when it comes to repairs. Pity you've got rid of your Benzene - much better than meths for de-lacquering !

Regards, David

PS. Been -2 Deg. here these last couple of mornings.
Closed Thread