UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2022, 3:54 pm   #1
keland_uk
Tetrode

Default Corroded terminals

I suspect I know the answer to this.

1) Picture one of Corroded switch, I can use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean all the loose stuff, but will the cables be so iffy that best to cut them off and remake if enough cable to "clean" Copper, because the copper in the wires are so corroded.

2) Picture two. One of the fingers has broken. What are battery terminals made of, these look like they may be tinned copper, or are they just tin? Probably Copper by the green corrosion. Any hints on remaking them?

3) Ditto cut off and remake all connections?

(Think I'm answering my own question here... Battery terminal metalwork source and hint would be helpful)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CorrodedSwitch1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	258716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Power Finger.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	258717   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorrodedSwitch2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	258718  
Old 9th Jun 2022, 6:06 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Corroded terminals

vinegar for cleaning battery corrosion

Craig
Old 9th Jun 2022, 6:22 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Use a dry toothbrush to remove as much of the green stuff as possible. Blow it out, then use another brush with vinegar on it to neutralise the corrosion. rinse with clear water and dry with tissues then a hairdryer. Apply Servisol contact cleaner 10 to the contacts in the switch and operate it.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 7:51 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

(Yes, green corrosion confirms copper or a copper alloy such as brass)
At least the chemical treatment suggested will expose just how compromised the connections are.

Vinegar has quite low surface tension so it's liable to creep into tight spaces where it's not easy to remove it afterwards. Lemon juice is perhaps milder, but there's the same creep issue. You may end up chopping the ends off and starting again, but sometimes verdigris or blackening of copper wires extends back up inside the insulation for several inches, and you end up replacing the whole wire.

Dave
Old 9th Jun 2022, 8:38 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I had great success dunking corroded battery terminals in a citric acid solution (so The Philpott's lemon juice really). I could see the verdigris bubbling off! As above, a rinse, dry and spray with Servisol 10 and all is well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220505_003622.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	258737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220505_225646.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	258738   Click image for larger version

Name:	contacts after citric acid.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	258739  
Old 9th Jun 2022, 9:00 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yep, you can't beat removal and immersion. In my case the terminals were green all over and i assumed the original nickel plating had gone away....but no, most of it was still there, just hidden under verdigris. I think i scrubbed with an old toothbrush then gave them a second dip. I watered down the lemon juice slightly, 1:1 i think. 30 minutes total.

Dave
Old 9th Jun 2022, 10:22 pm   #7
keland_uk
Tetrode

[QUOTE= but sometimes verdigris or blackening of copper wires extends back up inside the insulation for several inches, and you end up replacing the whole wire.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

That's what I thought :-(, so basically cut out any black wires. By the look of them there isn't much copper left...
Closed Thread