UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2021, 10:15 am   #61
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: Rented storage facilities.

Terry, let me know about the WS17 when its time comes I could be interested, especially if it comes with storage space! Like many others I really have too many radios that work but do not get used. I blame it on where I live, Kent, there is no one local interested in old mil kit that I can talk to with things like B44, tweaked WS31 and WS38 and so on.

Gordon
G7KNS
Old 8th Dec 2021, 11:45 am   #62
David Simpson
Nonode

Hey Gordon - how about joining VMARS ? They seem to have a broad membership, many who live in the "home counties". Prior to covid restrictions they had many a weekend meeting. Hopefully, after the current scare is past, they will resume next year. Apart from the main website & its fantastic Archive of military equipment from all three services, there are two io Forums. Plus their Bagington Auctions. Members receive a quarterly magazine - the "Signal", and there is a monthly "Newsheet". I cant quote a particular entry offhand, but I'm sure there have been past articles on the equipment you've mentioned. So there are others out there who share your interests.
Oh yes, and they have a "Codicil" type form which you can sign & attach to your will - leaving all your "stuff" to them if you suddenly Pop Off. Thus hopefully, avoiding family members dumping everything in a heffing skip.

Regards, David
Old 8th Dec 2021, 1:31 pm   #63
greenstar
Octode

Sharing a home is a difficult thing, and if one party is a collector and the other not there will be tension! Having observed this issue, the nature of sheds is to fill. I have two almost unusable ones, and i don't want to lose any of it. Yet to enjoy my stuff, I need space. If I move, and I may, additional rooms indoors, sheds and space for them, and outhouses would be a major factor to look for. Consider, do you feel said storage will be sufficient, ie, has your collection reached equilibrium? Would you ever be able to get on top of the repairs/restoration when retirement comes? I find myself that the hunter gatherer tendency to go out and return with stuff is very strong, and the ability to get to grips cosiderably less!
Old 8th Dec 2021, 2:38 pm   #64
ex seismic
Heptode

David, I am in VMARS already. The problem is a lot of this sort of kit only has a range of a few miles hence the need for other local nuts.

Gordon
Old 8th Dec 2021, 4:11 pm   #65
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

I guess a good maxim is that if we haven't found a use for something in the last two years, and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future, it ought to go.

It doesn't come easy.
I agree with both of those comments! I have however put the first one to good use with a lot of the scrap stuff I had 'for spares that might come in handy'. Some chassis had been collecting dust for 10 years so I took transformers, valveholders and pots that would be of use and skipped the rest which gave me lots of extra room.

I also changed my collecting habits and now only interested in 30's, 40's radios, a few early (germanium) transistor radio's and a few interesting portable TV's, a Philips TVette, a Perdio Portarama, a Ferguson '45 and most recently a KB Royal Star which I bought from Mike Edwards 'Crackle' a few months before he died. All the 50's radio's have gone with the exception of a DAC90A, a KB FB10 and a VHF80.

I still have loads of stuff to shift and looking at all the valves I have, most I'll never use so these will be offered at some point. The aim is to whittle everything down to keep just my own collection going with a small stock of standard resistors and capacitors.

The days of wanting any radio 'because it's old' are long gone and a far more rational approach has been adopted.

Sometimes though 'it doesn't come easy'!
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:42 am   #66
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
Paul, I do have a spare full set of Grundig Microfiche. Any use? No valved stuff in there.
No thank you. I had a set of these several years and couldn't find any way of scanning them usably. They ended up in a BVWS auction, so yours might be the same set.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Dec 2021, 7:43 pm   #67
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I had my set directly from Grundig probably 35 years ago. I had a microfiche reader and still keep one to hand. Later a pal lost his Grundig account, retired and gave me his set, hence my spare set. I also have set of fiche from NordMende, together with quite a few Motorcycle service manual and other various fiche.
I am still trying to find a way to copy them directly to my PC, but no luck yet. I could set up a camera, photo them page by page and transfer, but a LOT of trouble.
Some years ago at our local amenity site there was a fiche scanner/printer. No tech info and a few faults. Fixed some mechanical faults and some electrical fault (PSU?) but could not get it to work, so pulled the optics out and scrapped the rest.
Les.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 11th Dec 2021 at 7:44 pm. Reason: missed out GRUNDIG
Old 17th Dec 2021, 11:24 am   #68
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Some very interesting points about the service manuals. Before I store them I plan to list/index what I have got so that I can possibly work with Paul to add any service info to this forums service data.

As I don't plan to collect any more service info I intend to keep hold of the complete manuals. As well as the circuit diagrams they contain mechanical drawings, circuit descriptions, detailed part lists etc which for some repairs are essential.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 1:29 pm   #69
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thank you Simon.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Dec 2021, 1:56 pm   #70
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Sharing a home is a difficult thing, and if one party is a collector and the other not there will be tension! Having observed this issue, the nature of sheds is to fill. I have two almost unusable ones, and i don't want to lose any of it. Yet to enjoy my stuff, I need space. If I move, and I may, additional rooms indoors, sheds and space for them, and outhouses would be a major factor to look for. Consider, do you feel said storage will be sufficient, ie, has your collection reached equilibrium? Would you ever be able to get on top of the repairs/restoration when retirement comes? I find myself that the hunter gatherer tendency to go out and return with stuff is very strong, and the ability to get to grips cosiderably less!
Sorry to differ, but sharing a home is a by far and away a happy process for most couples, and furthermore one party can be a collector without there being tension. I, for one, am that man. It's a question of your partner being flexible and understanding (just as you should be of them) and oneself being reasonable with your collecting. Adopting, or indeed accepting a 'sky's the limit' approach to collecting is not the answer. I think we all, to some extent, start out like that but you soon realise that the idea is not to get one of every radio set ever made into your collection (TV set whatever). To me, it's a question of having a good, sound, 'give and take' relationship with your partner, and not going down the route of collecting to the point where you're likely to be featured in one of those 'Britain's biggest hoarders' programmes.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 6:40 pm   #71
newlite4
Octode

I have got to the stage where I am no longer prepared to hang on to the popular vintage radios because you can obtain those any time. I would rather collect the unusual French, German or American sets than the DAC90a, KB toaster or Bush TR82. We all have limited space and I really would not want to spend money renting more.
Neil
Old 17th Dec 2021, 7:00 pm   #72
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There's a whole difference between having a collection of interesting/valuable-stuff [which can be anything from Lalique glassware, Wedgwood/Portmeirion pottery to military-medals, lacework, via radios and on to shotguns] and being a 'hoarder'.

If you find yourself/other-family-members [including pets] tripping over 'stuff' or not being able to safely walk around or access cupboards because of the 'stuff', then you are well on the way to becoming a hoarder.

Marie Kondo's method of 'decluttering' makes sense to me. Pick up an item, hold it, ask youeself "Does this thing bring joy into my life?"! If the answer is no, or even 'maybe', get rid of it!
Old 18th Dec 2021, 9:53 am   #73
kestrelmusic
Hexode

I'm renting a 20x10 unit (160 sq ft) for £1000 per year. That was the best rate I could find in my area and compares well with others. That's £6.25 per sq ft per year, or roughly 50p per sq ft per month.
Closed Thread