UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2023, 3:04 pm   #1
DaveG4FAW
Diode

Default Bela British Radio

Hi All, wonder if anyone can identify this radio. It needs a bit of work, but wondered is any information exists on it. I cant find a single reference to "Bela" it on Google. I have been asked to restore it but it appears there is no data on it. I have tried all the usual sources... Thanks Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bela radio1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	279787   Click image for larger version

Name:	bela radio2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	279788  
Old 14th Jun 2023, 3:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Bela British Radio

The innards look 1930s. It may have been built from a kit.
Old 14th Jun 2023, 3:42 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Welcome Dave.

Rare. No doubt early 1930s.

Another two Bela sets detailed here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=150453
Old 14th Jun 2023, 6:15 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Another two Bela sets detailed here
Or perhaps just another one, as this one was in Woodbridge and Dave is just a few miles away in Ipswich?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=34

Paul
Old 25th Jun 2023, 9:51 pm   #5
DaveG4FAW
Diode

Thanks for all of your replies. I am thinking it is unrepairable. I have tested two of the valves that I can find markings on and they are both zero emission although they are intact and the heaters work. (4V heaters BTW) the other two are unidentified and remain untested. Without a circuit it is a near impossible task. It is a TRF with a reaction control, I have found similar circuits from the Trader sheets from the Mid 30's... Life is too short!!
Old 26th Jun 2023, 7:58 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

That's a pity, especially if it's the model in the link above (is it?) - that cabinet would surely vie with a certain Amplion set, and possibly a Zetavox, for the title of the most striking UK Art Deco table radio ever. Though of course it's still there for some fortunate individual to look at, which is usually my main concern... anyway. What are the two identifiable valves? There probably aren't many likely options for the other two.

Paul
Old 26th Jun 2023, 4:47 pm   #7
Gridiron
Heptode

I would say the valves used look like typical Mazda valves of the period, the metallised ones possibly AC/SG or similar and AC2/HL, the rectifier a UU3 and probably an AC/PEN as the output valve. Valves like these and equivalents still turn up regularly at BVWS events and amateur radio rallies.
Old 27th Jun 2023, 1:42 am   #8
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG4FAW View Post
I am thinking it is unrepairable....Life is too short!!
Well yes, I agree.

The set is probably restorable, but you'd have your work cut out and you say it's for someone else anyway. The question that has to be asked is what is the person who owns the set going to do with it once it's up and running and what do they think they'll enjoy listening to on it above all the hash and interference on AM radio these days anyway? Obviously not knowing the person, but you may well spend hours, days, weeks of your life that you'll never get back working on it, only to find that after they just about manage to pick up the one station left worth listening to on medium wave, with the hundred foot of wire aerial dangled round the back garden, that they've got fed up with it and flogged it on an auction site for a few quid, which they've then blown on a night out down the pub! I'm afraid I'm quite hard when it comes to these sort of things these days, as you say, life's too short and it's alright messing around with your own stuff for a bit of interest and fun, and you can put it to one side and come back to it when and if you feel like it, but when it comes to spending valuable time on something for someone else that you're unlikely to get any proper reward for, then it's time to take a hard stance and say no - unless it's a standard quick fix for a mate...and that radio that you've got there ain't no quick fix!

Depending on what the person wants, I would recommend just cleaning it up and having it as a nice, non-operational display item.
Closed Thread