UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 17th Jan 2024, 3:38 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Project cases

Hi,

Some time ago I got an isolation transformer on this forum (RS 504-307 which is roughly four inches square). To house it, I probably need, apart from the transformer, an outlet to a 13A plug to let the power in, and a socket to let the power out. A fuse in the secondary circuit would probably be nice, too. Trying to find a suitable case for this is proving tricky. I have looked at RS, Cricklewood, Digikey, ebay and Google with no luck.

Back in the day it was possible to buy what were referred to as "Project Cases". These came in a few different sizes and were fashioned from two aluminium pieces, one of which was nicely covered with a textured black material. It seems that these are no longer to be found. I am aware that there is a possibility to make my own cases, but if I could purchase an appropriate one it would save me a lot of effort (and even working in a cold workshop at present).

Does anyone have a solution to this quandary, or will I have to make my own box (and wait for the weather to get warmer)? What do people do if they want to make a largish case for something that they have made?

Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2024, 3:56 pm   #2
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Project cases

There's a selection at
https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/pr...enclosures.htm

and these adaptable boxes at,
https://shop4electrical.co.uk/5-metal-adaptable-boxes

John
John M0GLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2024, 3:58 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Project cases

Get thyself to an electrical-contractors' supply-place; they have a vast range of boxes both metal [usually steel] and plastic (usually ABS).

Generally used for terminating SWA cable and the like. I have a plastic one here - IP65 rated, with an O-ring gasket for the lid - which houses a big 3.5 inch diameter 6-inch-long ceramic coil and a variable capacitor for an outdoor 80-Metre antenna matching network.

Some of them can be specified with internal aluminium chassis-plates or DIN-rail mounts as used for RCDs, arc-interrupters etc.