UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2013, 1:06 pm   #221
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Anyone remember Des Butler's radio & tv repair shop on Dewsbury Road, Leeds 11? Although not a general supplier of components, they did sell some radio valves on occasions before they closed a few years ago. Nowadays it is a fast food take-away!
Regards
Mike
Old 19th Dec 2013, 1:25 pm   #222
Swordfamile
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
It is just over the Cobden bridge - not sure whether this link will work but it is on Streetview at http://www.instantstreetview.com/2nv...14t4z1gfzr5z2u
I haven't been over that way for a while (since the boathouse obscuring it was demolished) but found some other pictures of it on the internet. Let's hope it gets conserved, as very little in Southampton seems to these days.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 5:32 pm   #223
electronicskip
Nonode

There was one iI always remember in Cheltenham called "modern Radio" it was a typical traditional radio and TV shop that also sold some small "white goods" appliances, it only closed last year as far as iI am aware, but it was always a joy to look through the window and see all the goodies.

There is still a shop in the lower High Street where you can buy components and all types of second hand obsolete electronics bits, a real Aladdin's cave.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 7:24 pm   #224
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Odeon Radio in Harrow was a good source of parts.

As was a small shop astride Harrow & Wealdsone station bridge, (the name escapes me) that also stocked some ex-government items.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 7:33 pm   #225
electronicskip
Nonode

That reminds me, when iI was about 17 iI used to work in Oxford and there was a small army surplus shop by the cinema that used to sell ex army transceivers.

I did buy one or two even way back then and ended up swapping them to a friend for some CB Radio gear.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 7:52 pm   #226
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

W&S Surplus, maybe? Never had anything of interest to me in it in the last 20 years. Best thing I spotted was a 706 phone but they were asking £30 for it!

Nick.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 11:02 pm   #227
Breton56
Triode

Bold & Burroughs on London Rd. St Albans was a real blokes' shop with departments for metalwork/machining, woodwork and, for me most importantly, radio components. I remember the previously mentioned Hobbs in Luton, very useful when he started the business in Stuart St. also Surpletronics in Leagrave run by a father and son, always full of useful spares.
Old 30th Dec 2013, 8:01 pm   #228
electronicskip
Nonode

Dare i say....Rumbelows?
I worked for this company for many years, although it was a Multiple retailer,most of the shops had their own service dept upstairs ,so it was very much an individual shop mentality,with many a local connection.

Some of the best years of my life were spent there,
Old 30th Dec 2013, 8:23 pm   #229
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Burleys and Son Doncaster,used to have loads of new sealed R109,s etc (they were 50 Bob! £2.50) Ketley and Taylor was another real shop in Doncaster.
Old 1st Jan 2014, 7:44 pm   #230
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
W&S Surplus, maybe? Never had anything of interest to me in it in the last 20 years. Best thing I spotted was a 706 phone but they were asking £30 for it!
It was by the bus station in those days, the name of the street evades me,was it Broad Street?
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 7:41 pm   #231
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No, George Street, opposite Gloucester Green coach station as you say. Now almost 100% bars/restaurants.

Nick
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 8:34 pm   #232
Radio Wrangler

This is an overwhelming thread. The sheer magnitude of all that I missed has got to me. I think I need to put the radios aside and start work on a time machine!

David
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 9:06 pm   #233
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

When I was at boarding school near Reading, I sometimes took the train to a surplus shop there. Anyone remember who it was? I bought the usual OC70's and resistors but later I moved to Cheriton near Folkestone and remember a TV repair shop on the way to the barracks that let me take away old chassis. I just loved all that unsoldering. I wonder if the smell got me high.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 10:27 pm   #234
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Foresters in Ashley Rd, Boscombe (Bournemouth) was one of the more recent closures.

I only went there once, en route somewhere, and saw what an amazing amount of "goodies" they had in stock.
My plan was to go back when I had more time spare, but when I did, CLOSED was on the door!
Old 14th Jan 2014, 3:01 pm   #235
beltinge bore
Pentode

Default TV Graveyard North London.

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but does anybody remember the shop in Archway Road N6 just north of Highgate tube station known as "The TV Graveyard".
It was owned by a lovely bloke named Les Darley (I went to school in Muswell Hill with his son) he had a young wife & apart from TV/Radio his passion was horse racing. I soon learned to time my frequent visits around televised race times as the back in an hour sign was always on the door during such times (Les would be upstairs watching but woe betide if you banged on the door).
The shop was piled from floor to ceiling with old sets from local dealers etc.
He would let you take the back off and have a gander but no more. The most I ever paid for a set was 7/6/- (35p) for an Ekco 267/1 I learned from my father that little Pye & Ferguson sets would fit nicely on top of my drop handlebar bike but larger sets were transported home under the stairs on the 134 bus(Routmaster with friendly local conductors) or via a special barrow I had made from two old pram axles happy days!
My favourite set bought for 5/- (25p) was Cossor 454 (I think) 14" turret tuned with a white rexine covered cabinet. Cossor were made in the place of my birth then Highbury (next to my beloved Arsenal football club). This set ended up with my grandfather & lasted many years.
Valves were 1 shilling (heater tested via AVO). The best selling items were 3ohm speakers popular for car radio use.
Any sets not sold after about a week were stripped for parts hence the name TV Graveyard.
I think the shop closed in the late sixties (I discovered girls & motorcycles) but reviving my interest in 405 tellys in the last couple of years has been great. Thanks Les & all those who have helped me. Regards Steve.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 5:29 pm   #236
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: TV Graveyard North London.

Rather later, in the 1980s I remember a shop in the Ladbroke Grove area full of old dual std sets and as late as mid 1990 in Balham, sets I can't recall off hand except for the KB Deep Scene model. None were switched on, possibly none workers. Found the shops fascinating but had no means of bringing any of the sets home at the time.

Enjoyed your recollection Steve.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 14th Jan 2014, 5:57 pm   #237
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: TV Graveyard North London.

I remember those two shops too Brian! The one in Balham always had sets out on the pavement too, which I presume were scrappers as they never seemed to mind if they got rained on.

N.
Old 15th Jan 2014, 10:59 pm   #238
1955APREN
Hexode

Unhappy Re: Bygone radio traders

Let not forget the following from my part of the woods ( I have to travel 15 miles to get to these).

Worthington Bros
Liverpool Rd
Newcastle under Lyme
Staffs

Ham Radio Later called Model radio (iI think)
Stoke Rd A52
Newcastle under Lyme

Can't remember name of this one.

Shrewsbury Near Junction of Dog Pole /Wyle Cop.

Regards, Derrick
Old 16th Jan 2014, 4:26 am   #239
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I've done a search on this so I don't think I'm repeating an earlier post: Does anyone remember Barton Brothers in Coventry? I believe they started on Far Gosford Street but they were located in the arcade in my day. The shop was deceptively small. You could ask for almost anything and one of the two brothers would disappear up a spiral staircase for a while, always to return with something close to what you wanted. Last time I passed the place it only sold disco gear. I was told that one of the brother's had died and the other sold the business.
Old 16th Jan 2014, 10:24 am   #240
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Was the one in Shrewsbury that 1955APREN mentions called "Hartleys" by any chance?

In the 1970s/1980s there was also another place around half way up Wyle Cop hill that sold components, disco-equipment, generic imported Hong Kong transistor radios, CB gear etc.
Closed Thread