UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2013, 2:07 pm   #201
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Hi Wendy & Dave.
I think that the other shop was on Meadow Lane that you were thinking about (Dave).
Lasky's I do remember (Wendy) but not the other ones. I think that Comet bought out Lasky's before they actually closed themselves.
Harvey's mother at Leeds Radio (Kirkgate market) seemed to know everything about valves & radios from what I remember.
Mike
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 2:44 pm   #202
telstar
Octode

Hi. I remember the advert on the bus in the 1970's about Teleservicecenter, it depicted a boat on a river with reeds on the banks, the message read "Avoid the rushes, go straight to Teleservicecenter" (with diode sign). The owner was religious (allegedly) so it was probably borrowed from biblical scenes!
I am not sure if there was a Rad Shack in Bradford (Bill AC/HL), but I remember that there were some in Leeds, one at the Merrion Centre, the other at Cross Gates in the shopping mall.
Old 9th Dec 2013, 4:03 pm   #203
telstar
Octode

With reference to Leeds Amateur Radio shop in Cookridge Street, Leeds. I found that establishment to be very helpful with components. They used to stock veroboard in large quantities, and there is many a time when I bought some for projects at that shop. There was an advert about "Uncle Tom is on your wavelength" or words to that effect.
Again it is a shame that shops like these are no longer about, they were much more helpful than today's suppliers - you did not have to travel very far to get your requirements.
Cheers
Mike
Old 10th Dec 2013, 1:56 pm   #204
telstar
Octode

Hi I think that Rad Shack/Tandy took some beating with their components. For example, they had m.e.s bulbs on sale of various "odd values" that you could not easily get elsewhere, and probably not today either.
Regards
Mike
Old 10th Dec 2013, 6:33 pm   #205
short wave
Pentode

Oops forgot about "Tandy"!,
are you on about the one in the Merrion Centre,to the right of the rear market access, or the one on the Headrow , lower end / police station side. I tended to use M/C as it was closer to "Kitson College" where I attended.
regards S-W
Old 11th Dec 2013, 4:56 am   #206
Carbon60
Retired Dormant Member

Was the other surplus shop in Westcliff SENDZ Components?
Old 11th Dec 2013, 11:11 am   #207
Horris
Hexode

Ah SENDZ in Westcliff.

You went up the stairs, there were components and parts all over the floor. It was complete chaos.
If you bought something in the morning you were charged one price.If you bought the same item in the afternoon you were charged another price. They had been to the pub at lunchtime.
Old 11th Dec 2013, 3:54 pm   #208
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by short wave View Post
I tended to use M/C as it was closer to "Kitson College" where I attended.
Hi. Yes I used the M/C one usually, and the one at Cross Gates Arndale Centre on other occasions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon60 View Post
Was the other surplus shop in Westcliff SENDZ Components?
Hi I forgot about SENDZ components. Used to use them on occasions

What was the mail order components shop in Ely (Cambridgeshire) called? I seem to remember buying items from them on occasions.
Cheers
Mike
Old 11th Dec 2013, 7:26 pm   #209
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Ah SENDZ in Westcliff... complete chaos... They had been to the pub at lunchtime.
Ah

That's the impression I got when I phoned them. It usually took about half an hour before anyone answered, and the friendly chap who I always spoke to invariably gave me a ridiculous answer.

For example, I once phoned to ask about some "damaged" Amstrad monitor chassis they were advertising in Television and when I asked what that meant, was told they were "utterly smashed to smithereens". Unsurprisingly, they rarely got much business from me after that!
Old 11th Dec 2013, 8:35 pm   #210
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I remember Senz, and he is still there, or was a couple of years ago when I needed a sound chip for a Philips LCD TV.
Mid eighties I went to see him a few times. 250 mile round trip. Get there at perhaps 12:30, but they went off to the pub. Spent at least two hours trying to tie David (Whitworth) down, and by the time everybody had gone at 5:30, I got his attention.
I spent about £300 with him first visit, then perhaps £500 next time.
Later nearly £2,000, over the phone, and he sent his van to deliver.
Never regretted a single deal, but he was certainly "hard work".
I bought the Tek 453A mentioned in another current thread. Fantastic scope at a very fair price.
Les.
Old 11th Dec 2013, 8:44 pm   #211
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

See also here: http://85.92.85.233/forum/forum/show...9&postcount=12
Old 12th Dec 2013, 3:09 pm   #212
Swordfamile
Tetrode

May not be as ancient as some of the places mentioned here but this place is still going (see pics). As you can see the shopfront has changed little since the early eighties. Dont think he'll ever sell that speaker cabinet, or the fart machine come to that. Inside is even more outstanding; you can't move more than a metre from the door as all the gangways are blocked by stuff: mostly old radios (the owner's a collector). He has tons of old stock but can't get to it. He even showed me his stock book once. There's a Maplin down the road who offered to sell his stuff on ebay and split the proceedings but he wasn't interested. Oh and he's 84 so presumably has no plans for retirement.

Kaytronics 32 Bevois Valley Rd, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 0JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01236.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	86818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01237.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	86819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01238.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	86820  
Old 12th Dec 2013, 5:25 pm   #213
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Ah SENDZ in Westcliff.
I remember Sendz well, as you say a huge mess of stuff all over the place! I bought a D2MAC kit, a kind of semi diy job that came with a small BSB dish and a polarization remote. I was so chuffed to be able to pick up MCM and some others, plus you could switch it to receive analogue channels like Eurosport and such. I knocked up homebrew board for the 7.02/7.2 sound carriers, using chokes and varicaps with separate vernier pots for fine tuning - boy was I surprised when it worked!
Old 13th Dec 2013, 2:41 pm   #214
jamesperrett
Octode

I go past Kaytronics regularly (on the way to Aldi down the road) and always assumed that it was defunct as it always looks closed.

There's also a building in Bitterne with a huge EKCO advert painted on the side - I keep meaning to stop and take a photo before it disappears.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 2:50 pm   #215
Swordfamile
Tetrode

So did I until recently, until walking past one afternoon I noticed the 'open' sign inside the door and went in for a chat. He's only open from 4 - 5pm which is why we all thought it was shut. He told me there used to be a tape recorder shop run by his mate in Bitterne; perhaps it's the same place. Where is it exactly?

Tony
Old 13th Dec 2013, 5:21 pm   #216
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi. I remember the advert on the bus in the 1970's about Teleservicecenter,
I thought that I might add, Teleservicenter had their own valve boxes printed. Just found some used ones in the garage.
Cheers
Mike
Old 13th Dec 2013, 6:27 pm   #217
short wave
Pentode

"Teleservicenter had their own valve boxes printed" .... any chance of a photo?
regards S-W
Old 14th Dec 2013, 4:39 pm   #218
telstar
Octode

Hi. I will look in the garage for you and see if there is a spare one, if so I can send one to you. Will let you know?
I can not really upload pictures on these computers (not my own p.c, these are library ones).
Cheers
Mike
Old 17th Dec 2013, 5:20 pm   #219
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfamile View Post
He told me there used to be a tape recorder shop run by his mate in Bitterne; perhaps it's the same place. Where is it exactly?
It is just over the Cobden bridge - not sure whether this link will work but it is on Streetview at http://www.instantstreetview.com/2nv...14t4z1gfzr5z2u

James.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 7:27 pm   #220
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Link is fine.