UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2021, 10:27 am   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Me and a miniature valve base

Well I’ve just replaced my first 9 pin miniature valve base. Also for the first time I have felt mild empathy for dentists.
Old 19th May 2021, 10:37 am   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Me and a miniature valve base

Good Job, the hardest part is unwinding the wires that are threaded through the solder eyes and then wrapped over, it can take several attempts to free up. Good to note down where everything goes as well, either on paper or in the form of an image.
Neil
Old 19th May 2021, 11:40 am   #3
skodajag
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
Good Job, the hardest part is unwinding the wires that are threaded through the solder eyes and then wrapped over, it can take several attempts to free up. Good to note down where everything goes as well, either on paper or in the form of an image.
Neil
Indeed. I found a solder sucker indispensable, plus I made a diagram AND took photos....oh....and the set still works...
Old 19th May 2021, 12:04 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Many bases have an oval hole for the wires. I’ve often found that you can cut with side cutters below the wires and it becomes a u shaped part with the wires/components still attached. It’s easier to slide the wires off and straighten them.
Old 19th May 2021, 2:47 pm   #5
skodajag
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Many bases have an oval hole for the wires. I’ve often found that you can cut with side cutters below the wires and it becomes a u shaped part with the wires/components still attached. It’s easier to slide the wires off and straighten them.
That’s a useful tip. Thank you. If I understand you right you cut under the wires so they they remain attached to the part of the tag which has been cut off? That would indeed make it much easier to release the existing wiring, but presumably you would only do this if replacing the valve base? It occurs to me that if you wanted to reuse the valve base one could perhaps cut just the top of the tag and slide the wires out, leaving more of the tag intact?
Old 19th May 2021, 3:37 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

Yes this applies for replacement of the holder, which is what you said you had done. Cutting the top is an option if you want to retain the holder. Leaving all the parts still connected to the cut off tag keeps them together so you can strip and reconnect one tag at a time.
Old 19th May 2021, 4:32 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Depends whether you want to reuse the valveholder, or reuse the components (such as if the valveholder is naff and you're replacing it in the chassis).

It's rarely possible to reuse both...
Old 19th May 2021, 7:05 pm   #8
skodajag
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Cutting the top is an option if you want to retain the holder. Leaving all the parts still connected to the cut off tag keeps them together so you can strip and reconnect one tag at a time.
Again, thank you. That’s another welcome piece of advice.