UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2016, 3:20 pm   #21
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Any European Stations still on MW??

There is still quite a lot to be heard on medium waves and as a DXer, after the recent high powered European close downs, the European countries that can still be heard at night, using a reasonable portable radio, of any age, are; Belgium France, Germany (AFN), Spain, Portugal,Italy Slovenia Hungary, Czech Republic, and sometimes Romania and Greece From the Middle East Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran and Syria can sometime be heard and from North Africa Algeria Tunis and Morroco.
The Belgium RTBF signal on 621Khz is now the only European station that I can pick up during the day.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 12:16 am   #22
Pat Pending
Rest in Peace

I suppose it's a shame that the broadcasters are leaving the MW bcb in droves, but if you take the time to rig a tuned loop and sit your radio in the middle, there's a lot of interesting stuff coming through, now that the blowtorch stations are closing. Since november I have been receiving some U.S / Canadian stations on a homebrew 3 transistor re-gen, and loft mount flat top aerial, I've never managed THAT before.

Regards. Andy.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 9:00 am   #23
cashaw1972
Retired Dormant Member

Well, here in the the centre of Stockholm I have not been able to hear anything on MW for the past 12 years, other than the occasional Russian station. R4 on LW was receivable, but only after midnight when a Russian station sharing it's frequency went off the air.

But doing a quick MW band scan last night on a small pocket radio and I was surprised to hear Talksport coming through on both it's main frequencies. No sign of R5Live though. There was also some English music based station close to them, but I didn't have time to identify them.
Old 8th Feb 2016, 11:12 pm   #24
PeterGM4WCE
Triode

Medium wave still busy at night here. I have made a video using my SDR radio showing stations in just about every 9 kc/s channel. It is at:

https://youtu.be/5ME5N3vGT_w
Old 9th Feb 2016, 1:34 pm   #25
pastyboy
Hexode

BBC Radio Cornwall is still on mid band MW can't find the freq though. Shame Arrow Classic Rock from Holland is now QRT, they were on 675 kHz and we used to get them in East Anglia loud and proud!
Old 9th Feb 2016, 7:22 pm   #26
hannahs radios
Hexode

Listen on 1377 1386 1395 Kc for Easter Europe. 1377 and 1395 are from Yerevan, Armenia and 1386 from Sitkauni, Lithuania. Powers are around 500kW.
Old 10th Feb 2016, 7:22 pm   #27
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I woke up in the small hours and so flicked on the bedside set - a 29 year old Grundig - onto MW to tune to R5. With this thread in mind I tuned the length of the band and I recall few, if any, gaps in signals. I could hear a lot of Spanish.
Closed Thread