UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2018, 3:35 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Bush DAC90 on 'Posh Pawn'

Just seen an episode of a reality TV show called 'Posh Pawn' which featured a 'modified' Bush DAC90. The show revolves around the day to day activities of a modern pawn shop. This is run by a rather smug young man who is the central personality. People present various possessions which they wish to sell or raise capital on.

One of these 'customers' offered a Bush DAC90 belonging to her later husband which she wished to sell. I'm not sure which of the DAC90s it was but it was the usual brown colour but had the yellow dial. The main problem which was immediately apparent to me was that someone (presumably the husband) had fitted a carry handle to the set by drilling through the top the cabinet and securing the handle via screws from the inside. The valuation 'expert' appeared to have no idea that was not an original feature. Of course that may have been edited out to make the presenter look good when he 'revealed' (after the usual ten second pause) that the handle had devalued the set. Anyway, he valued the set, even with the rogue handle as worth between £60 and £80. I think that was a very optimistic valuation. I think you've struggle to get that much for a non violated set.

Did anyone else see this episode?

Tim
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 7:55 pm   #2
Alvin
Heptode

Default Re: Bush DAC90 on 'Posh Pawn'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
I'm not sure which of the DAC90s it was
With an expanded metal grille and wavechange paddle on the right I guess it was a DAC90A
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 8:01 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Quite right it was a Dac 90a did she say it may be worth £500 or more !
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 8:28 pm   #4
Rigsby 77
Retired Dormant Member

I saw that, it was her other item she wanted £500 for, her husband had ruined the DAC90A, the rest of the case wasn't brilliant either.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:47 am   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

This reminds me of that purple furry Dac 90a on ebay recently, it was very carefully covered, even the knobs in this horrible material and colour. I was a amazed, it actually sold for £60.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 1:24 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you want a customised DAC90A, it'll cost..... the base unit will cost the customiser £30+ which doesn't leave much headroom for time, materials and a small profit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Mar 2018, 10:11 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Tim, up to a point i agree with you, but surely, especially with as common a radio as the DAC90 or 90A, there is nothing wrong with putting a handle on it. This makes it easier to move around if needed, and, after all the radio is the owner's property to do with as they wish. I didn't see the one on eBay mentioned in another post in this thread, but, IMHO, the same applies in this case, and that one sold! TBH, I've never gone along with the idea that every (vintage)radio of any make or model should remain, or be restored to, exactly the appearance, inside and out, that it had when it left the factory.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 10:33 am   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
One of these 'customers' offered a Bush DAC90 belonging to her later husband...
Late, later - to lose one husband might be regarded as a misfortune, but to lose two looks like carelessness
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:10 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

My grandma must have been a bit careless, then!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:10 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure which of the DAC90s it was
With an expanded metal grille and wavechange paddle on the right I guess it was a DAC90A
The DAC 90 is the one that has a built-in electric fire, tastefully shielded by an asbestos overcoat, so you get two appliances for the price of one. A notable feature is that a 2" square of the top right hand corner of the self-extinguishing back panel is often missing, having been incinerated, or it may have a bodged-up repair, attempted in the true spirit of the ethos of the 'make-do-and-mend' ration book era which spawned the set.

Not Britain's finest hour, nor Bush's.

All downhill from there really.
Closed Thread