UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2021, 9:56 am   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: NV-FS200 spots on bright white scenes

What TV are you watching it on? If its an LCD you are wasting your time. They are poor with some VCRs, for best results use a CRT set and again not a late production set. If its OK on a monitor then its not a VCR issue, sounds like incompatibility between the VCR and the TV you are using.

I see that it's an LCD set you are using.
Remember that in the days of VHS a 33 inch set was big if you use a large LCD and of course factor in their processing it is more than likely you'll see an issue that won't show on a CRT set

Last edited by murphyv310; 19th Jun 2021 at 10:03 am.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 10:14 am   #22
willow5
Triode

Thanks Trevor. I am watching the digital file on an LCD TV, as opposed to plugging the VCR directly into the TV. I am playing the file on a linux set top box connected to the TV via HDMI and the artefacts are as clear as day.

I would expect that the file is a carbon copy of the VHS especially as I am using a time base corrector to capture these tapes

Last edited by willow5; 19th Jun 2021 at 10:20 am.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 11:17 am   #23
TIMTAPE
Octode

I notice that on my video scope much of the bright white background is clipped/crushed, even if much of the time the video level is under 100% modulation. Occasionally the level extends above the 100%. Is that where the dots appear?

I agree with others here that we must have realistic expectations of VHS performance.

Also when capturing as well as in post, attend to contrast levels. It's better to have a little lower contrast at capture if it means avoiding loss of highlight detail as well as shadow detail. At the capture stage we dont go for the final "look". The time for that is in post. Instead just try to capture all the information from the tape without loss, without distortion.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 11:17 am   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

The digital file is likely encoded lossily so not a carbon copy. Realistically, there could still be a fault, but the signal is mangled and degraded so many times between the recording and your eye, it would be really hard to tell the exact cause. Ideally, you should test the set using a factory test tape and viewing it on measuring equipment or at least a CRT TV set. 50Hz with analog signal processing and a good sharp tube.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 12:21 pm   #25
murphyv310
Dekatron

When you think of it a VCR is analogue and should be viewed on an analogue CRT TV or suitable analogue CRT monitor. Digital can and does make things look...... Well not so good. I had a Panasonic NV20?? (too long ago to remember model numbers and fixed too many) and a Grundig 25 inch, the results were excellent, a few years later it was connected to an early LCD it looked terrible.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 1:09 pm   #26
TIMTAPE
Octode

I believe the main problem for presentation today is not that the VCR is analog but that the signal is "interlaced" as was the entire television system back then and the system worked fine. To play interlaced on a "progressive" system is problematic and involves fudges because the two systems are incompatible.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 1:52 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Certainly try this machine on a CRT TV and if same , then I think as before, head or drum assembly.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 2:33 pm   #28
willow5
Triode

Thanks all for your inputs. I have been experimenting with different workflows and removed the external Time Base Corrector then tried a capture and it seems the spots are very much minimised so perhaps the spots are being exaggerated by the Time Base Corrector. Does anyone know if this is feasible?
Old 20th Jun 2021, 12:10 pm   #29
Vintage Engr
Heptode

The DOC in the Timebase Corrector may well be accentuating the perceived problem.

David.
Old 20th Jun 2021, 12:24 pm   #30
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
The DOC in the Timebase Corrector may well be accentuating the perceived problem.

David.
I thought a DOC could only operate with access to the RF signal.
Old 25th Jun 2021, 7:51 pm   #31
willow5
Triode

I think I now have a different fault with this player. It was playing fine up until today then I suddenly saw all these lines across the screen. Any help appreciated

https://we.tl/t-aTgMN1bsfK
Closed Thread