UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 1st Mar 2024, 4:51 pm   #1
PBruR24
Diode

Thumbs up Smiths Delhi Major QEMG Motor movement

Hi Everyone....I need some help from this Community... I have an old BBC Clock that has lost it's mechanism, I have decided to use the mechanism from a Smiths Delhi Major (UK) that I have... but the QEMG motor does not work at the moment, I've taken it off the face, put a meter across it and the winding is fine so I went on to provide some power(UK mains), well I could see (and hear) the motor trying to rotate but wouldn't rotate more than a couple of revolutions before stopping.... I then noticed the Plate on the end was damaged (not sure why I didn't see that the first time I got it off the Clock??) anyway I have provided a few photos to help... a couple of questions... what is this disc made of? (magnetic material?) and can I replace it? to be fair I'm assuming that this is the issue and the disc needs to be complete for the motor to continuously rotate... I would like not to have to replace the whole motor (not sure I'd find one anyway..) and quite like the challenge of renovating the original if poss.... could anyone help with a bit of advice on this... much appreciated...
Also if anyone has a suggestion on where I can find a new Motor/spare parts from ...if needed of course...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QEMG electric movement 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	293980   Click image for larger version

Name:	QEMG electric movement 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	293981   Click image for larger version

Name:	QEMG electric movement 3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	293982   Click image for larger version

Name:	QEMG electric movement 4 face.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	293983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delhi Major.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	293984  

PBruR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2024, 9:53 pm   #2
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: Smiths Delhi Major QEMG Motor movement

Hello, it seems a shame to strip the movement from the Smiths clock, I’d be inclined to repair it and retain in the Smiths, and look on eBay for a donor movement (maybe from a damaged clock) for the ex Beeb clock. I expect the BBC clock had a slave movement that was controlled centrally from a master clock ensuring uniform time throughout the building.
What make is the BBC clock, Gent maybe?
Enjoy the restoration.
Rob
Robsradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2024, 10:55 pm   #3
PBruR24
Diode

Hi Rob… thanks for responding… good idea… I haven’t completely decided to use the mechanism in the BBC clock… at the moment My focus it to repair the QEMG movement and get it working… I need to replace the magnetic disc…

Hi Rob/all
Yes I haven't completely decided to use the Smiths QEMG movement on the BBC Clock but I'm focused on renovating the Smiths QEMG movement first... I'm trying to find a Vintage clock-smith who may have some spare parts kicking around, primarily a magnetised disc I can replace..(if that at all possible) finding a replacement QEMG movement is few and far between...
Yes the BBC Clock did originally use a +- 50v system but the movement was thrown away before I could get my hands on it... if there is anyone who could suggest a donor movement I could use as a replacement I'd appreciate it....it's a large clock so would need an electric movement to cope with the larger than normal Hour/minute/second hands
Thanks...
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 10:59 am   #4
stevenkw2t
Triode

The rotor disk is made of ferrite. I don't think you can repair the broken disk and I think it would be easier to find another working QEMG movement in a donor ebay clock, than to find/fit a replacement rotor.
stevenkw2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2024, 10:53 am   #5
PBruR24
Diode

Thanks Stevenkw2t… to make it more complicated they have x6 poles…. But I have a plan that may or may not work… I found a site that has small ferrite discs that are x6 pole… I may try to replace the disc and see if it takes…. A risk I know but fancy the challenge… onwards and upwards….??
Old 8th Mar 2024, 8:53 pm   #6
Hampus
Pentode

I do have such a movement but no clock to use it with. It has been in a drawer for years, I will gladly gift it to you, if you pay the postal cost, since I don't have any use for it. However, I am located in Sweden and there may be both higher cost for both the postal service itself and eventually some other administrative fees (customs) when shipping items rather than ordinary mail.

I will look into it if you think this movement will help you It spins when power is applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240308_194435307.MP_1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	294423  
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2024, 4:22 am   #7
PBruR24
Diode

Dear Hampus ….Thank you so much that would be amazing ?? very happy to pay the postage etc… let me know once you have more info…?
Old 10th Mar 2024, 8:45 pm   #8
Hampus
Pentode

Ok I have looked into it today, the movement is yours for £9. Send me a private message with your name and address
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2024, 11:58 am   #9
stevenkw2t
Triode

Just an observation from working on QEMG movements - the front and rear plates are made from 'plastic bonded fabric'. I imagine this was cheaper than using brass. At the rotor end the plates are secured with twist tabs. Again I assume this was cheaper than using proper threaded fasteners. From repeated un-twisting and re-twisting the tab can eventually snap off. So I suggest twisting the tab only just enough to remove the plate or to reattach it.
I have one with a missing tab and I bodged it with a tiny cable tie. I've been meaning to come up with a more permanent and presentable solution but I end up just grimacing at it for a while before putting it back on the wall.
Good luck!
-Steven
stevenkw2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2024, 12:08 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, not really designed to be repaired in the same way the earlier Bijou obviously was.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2024, 4:01 pm   #11
PBruR24
Diode

Many thanks for the info Steven… Hampus has kindly offered me a working QEMG so I’m going to work with that.. if it all comes together I’ll be sure to post the results on here… once I have the movement I’ll need to fix the original hands to it… that may mean I get a clock smith (friend of my brother) to do the fiddly work….