UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2007, 10:55 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Radio & television Servicing books

Hi all

Could anyone tell me what year the radio & television servicing books stopped being made, the latest one i have is 1986-87. Were there any volumes printed the following year ?

Also was there ever a 1961-1962 volume printed ? Im trying to get my hands on one but as of yet have not seen one mentioned on the net or any for sale.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows

Mike
Old 26th Jul 2007, 11:00 pm   #2
Rejectostat
Hexode

Default Re: Radio & television Servicing books

There was definitely a 1961-1962 volume, mine happens to be the J.P. Hawker "only" as editor version. Don't know when the last publication was.
Old 26th Jul 2007, 11:14 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

I've never seen a 1954-5 volume.

Steve
Old 26th Jul 2007, 11:20 pm   #4
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi all

Steve, there were seven volumes, before they started being labeled up in years, that started with the 1959-1960 volume.

The first two volumes coverered pre 1953 equipment the third then covered 1953-1954 etc etc

Mike
Old 27th Jul 2007, 9:04 am   #5
dsergeant
Octode

I have the 85/6 volume and I recall there was just one after it, your 86/7. 1987 saw the first of the replacement series from U-View (I have the U-View TV volume of that year but the VCR one was only produced in very small numbers and is very hard to obtain).

Dave
Old 27th Jul 2007, 9:28 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
Steve, there were seven volumes, before they started being labeled up in years, that started with the 1959-1960 volume.
There were quite a few different issues of multiple-volume sets variously bound, and it seems Mike has a set issued a few years after the series was launched. My own, perhaps the most common, starts with two volumes of radio etc. circuits then two TV volumes, and has a Volume V covering 1953-4 models, before beginning the annual sequence with one having 1955-1956 on its spine. A table of all the variants has been published a few times in various places: possibly including here?

Paul
Old 27th Jul 2007, 12:04 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Unlesss I'm mistaken I thought that Paul Stenning put up a sort of spread sheet master list at one time. Apologies if I've got that wrong. These are FAQ's so perhaps candidates for a "sticky"? Dave
Old 27th Jul 2007, 12:12 pm   #8
Station X

It's here:-

http://www.vintage-radio.info/docs/index.htm

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 1:42 pm   #9
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Hi

Just tried to look at the index, but there is an error with the file, says i no longer exists. Anyone else having a prob looking at this ? Or is it just my PC (im at work looking via a server).

Mike
Old 27th Jul 2007, 1:49 pm   #10
Station X

I had a similar probem when I tried to download and open the file in one operation. It worked OK when I downloaded and saved the file for opening later.

Old 27th Jul 2007, 3:24 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

My 1953/54 volume is E. MOLLOY and W.F. POOLE. There are counless variations with these books. I have over 70 volumes and many of the early ones cover some rare models. You cannot go by the volume number unfortunately. Cheers John.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 6:18 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

This is confusing .I have a set of Red books by JP Hawker Radio and tele sevicing Vol 1 to 5 and an extra book 1959 to 60 models . vol 1 had the pye b18t etc, not the 16 though bush tv22 butnot 12 as far as I can see .ButI have seen another set at a Rally in bad condition unforunately that had pictures of sets like the B18t
So were the other volumes completely different , and why
Old 27th Jul 2007, 8:54 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
Hi

Just tried to look at the index, but there is an error with the file, says i no longer exists. Anyone else having a prob looking at this ? Or is it just my PC (im at work looking via a server).

Mike
It works OK for me....

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Jul 2007, 4:03 pm   #14
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
So were the other volumes completely different , and why
It's just that for several years R+TVS was advertised and sold to new buyers as a set of numbered volumes, and the contents of the numbered volumes was modernised year by year, some being condensations of the more popular models from previous years while others were themselves entire annual volumes. Meanwhile, from 1955-56 on, annual update volumes were sold mostly to people who had already bought an initial set. It all worked well enough at the time, as purchasers would own an initial numbered set plus a run of yearly volumes: the confusion only began when different owners compared the volumes they had, or individuals later on attempted to gather complete runs from various sources. Fortunately for us the Volume I etc. labelling was done away with somewhere around 1960.

Re. the models you mention, I don't know whether the B16T is covered in the very early blue-bound two volume set, but it isn't in my early red five-volume one. The TV11 and TV12 on the other hand are in its Volume III.

Paul
Old 28th Jul 2007, 5:03 pm   #15
Station X

Sounds like we need a volunteer to start a new thread asking forum members what volumes/years they have. They'd need to be further identified by say author, colour of cover, number of pages and first and last models covered. The results could then be collated.

There'd be no need for anyone to post details of books which had previously been posted.

Good idea or am I reinventing the wheel?

Old 28th Jul 2007, 5:13 pm   #16
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Sounds like we need a volunteer to start a new thread asking forum members what volumes/years they have. They'd need to be further identified by say author, colour of cover, number of pages and first and last models covered. The results could then be collated.

There'd be no need for anyone to post details of books which had previously been posted.

Good idea or am I reinventing the wheel?
OK, I was always a glutton for punishment!

Rats.
Old 28th Jul 2007, 5:16 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good idea but would require time, computer skills and a clear logical headset. I've only got the first part. It is confusing though. I've got a lot of these books at home in Rammy and at the third attempt got them into some sort of "order" with post its etc but it' still not an overview of all the content. I have Chas Millers article but thank you Paul [RK] your comments explain a few things I really didn't know about before.

Coincidentally Duke Nukems DVD explanation on that thread has given me info there that I'd long puzzled about as well. Two hits in ten minutes.
What a site. Dave

PS I'm sure your efforts would be much appreciated Brian.
Old 28th Jul 2007, 11:19 pm   #18
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Not mentioned above, as far as I can see, I have the Yaxley TV edition for 89-90.

Mike
Closed Thread