UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2020, 6:46 am   #41
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Re: The cathode ray tube, do you really believe it would persist into 21st century?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Nothing new there. In the early days of TV some people covered the screen when not "looking in" as watching TV was called. Nothing to do with Facebook conspiracies either, just superstition. If you could see them, maybe...
Patricia on Picture Book claimed she could see me, and I believed that for a while.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 9:15 am   #42
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: The cathode ray tube, do you really believe it would persist into 21st century?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Motor vehicles look to be going the same way as television receivers.
John.
The is a difference between vehicles and a TV’s for maintenance. Tyres, brakes, windscreens etc will need skills for quite a while but yes the engine/gearbox tend to last.

Thomas Electronics in Post #14, I can understand replacement requirements for flight sims, but the cost of a repair to a CRT from that company must be very expensive, but cheaper that replacing the sim.

One point made about the weight and size of large CRT’s, that must be a factor in their demise. Where I have my TV a 24 inch wide screen is about the largest that will fit, I could probably fit a 40 inch flat screen there, at present there is a 32 inch one.

For entertainment I don’t see a lot of difference, a poor programme is no better which ever tech you have.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 10:16 am   #43
slidertogrid
Octode

I remember seeing some early flat screens used at an airport over the check in desks for I think flight information. The display background colour was predominantly orange. I don't know if they were plasma or LCD but the display was very bright.
Some time later maybe a year or two I was at the same airport and noticed the screens were all showing faulty displays with flickering, wrong colours. Some areas of the display particularly around the perimeter were flickering blue and black. I assume the screens were just worn out? I remember commenting on it at the time as it looked terrible. I don't think I had a flat screen main set set at home at the time so it would have been before 2010.
The next time I visited they had all been replaced.
I resisted buying a large screen LCD set until my Sony CRT set was showing signs of a worn tube and LCD sets had improved, the picture on the early ones wasn't that good IMHO. When HD was launched I remember thinking that the picture on this new tech was now nearly as good as the picture we used to have from a CRT! Maybe I was just biased...
Old 14th Sep 2020, 10:32 am   #44
Richard_FM
Octode

I guess the displays at airports get used 24/7 so maybe some earlier screens weren't up to being run for long periods.

I'm currently using an Acer flat screen monitor my parents bought me in 2008 & has had plenty of use, but still works fine. Normally I turn it off when I'm not using it so it gets some rest.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 11:33 am   #45
Andrew2
Nonode

At the risk of deflecting the thread a bit, has anyone noticed that film-makers seem to cling to CRT TVs in their films? We watch quite a few films and every time an actor is shown watching a TV, it's a CRT type. Are they considered 'cool' like playing vinyl records or using a Zippo cigarette lighter?
Old 14th Sep 2020, 1:05 pm   #46
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I doubt if any member of the general public would wish to return watching TV on a big bulky CRT set. In last last four years I have received less than five requests for a repair to a CRT television set. Back in 2004 the Toshiba "picture frame" TV was set to have, superb sets but sure were heavy. The 36" model was two person lift.
All those sets have now gone.

DFWB.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 1:14 pm   #47
llama
Octode

I suspect the film people use a CRT set to immediately let the viewer know it's a TV rather than a picture, say. I think displayed images on them are normally overlays rather than actual displayed pictures.
Graham
Old 14th Sep 2020, 5:31 pm   #48
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I remember seeing some early flat screens used at an airport over the check in desks for I think flight information. The display background colour was predominantly orange. I don't know if they were plasma or LCD but the display was very bright.
Bright and orange sounds like plasma displays. They do get flickery when they wear out, the blue colour might have been caused by argon in a gas mixture igniting rather than neon.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 10:12 pm   #49
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Re the reference to 1984 by emeritus [post 36*] Truffaut's only English film was Farenheit 451 [1966-in colour]. It was based on Ray Bradbury's 1951 short story and shot in an outer Paris Suburb that had a futuristic overhead mono-rail system. It's a future world in which books are banned, tracked down and burned [at 451 degrees-it's very hard to burn an intact book] by "Firemen" because the content "upsets" the population who are kept drugged and get their information from wall sized screens. [A recent RT article was about the constant warnings that we might be upset by the program-there was one before Coronation Street tonight.] The film goes even further because people can [and do] participate in soap operas [to calm them] with the rest of the cast on the other three walls! I won't say anymore but it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. A common quiz question! What was Orwell's real name [Eric Blair-he lived near the river Orwell]. Somehow the comments about DVB and CRT combinations remind me of the few analogue devices [like VHS Recorders] that actually incorporated a Digital Tuner. I had one [a Daewoo VHS Recorder, bought through the Radio Times] but it failed when they changed the software! I remember that someone on the Forum didn't believe this. I got the same reaction when I talked about printers that could produce physical parts. Well it was in the newspaper!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Sep 2020 at 10:41 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:04 pm   #50
toshiba tony
Heptode

I only went over to LCD last year. Till then I had a 36 inch Hitachi FST w\s. It was hooked up to a freeview box. It had been perfect for years and now I just can't part with it. All this twaddle about HD doesn't impress me. OK it takes four people to lift it, it once fell on me when I was repairing it but we are still friends. Watching it is a pleasure, It will probably see me out, it has broken down once, a dry joint, stock issue on this model. That reassuring rustle of EHT at switch on is music to my ears.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:35 pm   #51

Quote:
Hitachi FST w\s
If w/s is wide screen how does that be a "Flatter Squarer Tube"? I always liked the look of the wide screen CRT sets.

Old 15th Sep 2020, 2:22 pm   #52
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've got a massive widescreen 1990's 32" LG CRT set Tony [post 50*]. It has a fault that could cascade so I don't switch it on but really don't want to dump it. Because of it's bulk, the sound was really excellent! I think the few left are probably the equivalent of early Radiograms. Sets are crushed and re-cycled these days not stored away [except in our case maybe eh]

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Sep 2020 at 2:27 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 2:45 pm   #53
chriswood1900
Octode

The questions was CRTs do you really believe it would persist into 21st century?
I think the answer is yes but only as historic artifacts, there is no reason to keep them as I can’t think of anything that can’t be carried out with other technologies. To cite an earlier post they are temporary just waiting for the next development as is/was Plasma, LCD OLED and so it will carry on.
One day we may all have a small 6G or 7G communicator fitted to direct to our brain and we will just be able to visualise whatever we want to see from anywhere in colour and 3D!
I switched for everyday viewing on HD 1080 LCD around 10 years ago and have updated once recently to a 4K Panasonic LCD with backlight control which gives a superb picture. So far they have proved very reliable. I still retain a small collection of CRTs set from each decade since 1930s up to the 1990’s. Whilst it was fantastic achievement to get a working picture in 1936 we have come a long way since then. Quality of programmes is still very variable but as always there is good and bad.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 5:34 pm   #54
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the context of "will we still be finding last-generation CRT tellies in peoples' attics in years-to-come" I would conjecture that there are 2 reasons why not.

Firstly, 'large screen' CRT tellies are massively heavy/bulky, would you want to do a 2-man-lift to get such a beastie into the attic - even if it would fit through the hatch?

Secondly - quite a lot of the dwellings being built today don't actually _have_ an attic or any sensible amouts of other space in which to store such obsolete electronics!

A good chunk of "TV" viewing these days takes place on phones/laptops/tablets: several of the under-50s I know have a "TV" or two on their lounge-wall but only used for gaming - which means 4K UHD and a decent surround-sound system. CRTs haven't really been a serious thing for gamers this century.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:42 am   #55
music-centre
Heptode

People must be doing something with them though looking at the prices working 14" portables make on ebay (£50-60)
Nostalgia perhaps but a lot of money for something (even I) have dumped
Steve.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:04 am   #56
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
In the context of "will we still be finding last-generation CRT tellies in peoples' attics in years-to-come"
I agree it wasn't difficult to put a TV22 or Pye V4 in the loft in an age when most people kept things, witness the number of little LCD set which seem to be hiding drawers etc. But the big screen sets went to the re-cycling centres in huge numbers after the digital switchover, the 14" ones soldiered on in bedrooms etc and are now re-appearing as there seems to be a market for them.
I suspect the big heavy 28" up FST sets and the 20" up CRTs will soon be long gone except where a few collectors make a point of keeping them probably against strong domestic objections.
Also in the days when they looked like piece of furniture it was OK but who wants to hold onto a grey lump of plastic.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 5:39 pm   #57
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Also in the days when they looked like piece of furniture it was OK but who wants to hold onto a grey lump of plastic.
I am undertaking a massive clearance to get my house ready to sell, it is rather a sad thing to take working but obsolete equipment to the tip

If anyone wants a 28" Samsung CRT widescreen set, complete with remote, please let me know!

I guess they are becoming rare these days, all the sets at the tip are flat panels.

Mark
Old 16th Sep 2020, 6:50 pm   #58
dave walsh
Dekatron

With reference to the posts from 50* onwards [and mine at 15*] there's no doubt that CRT's are extremely unlikely to return domestically and yes the WIDESCREEN CRT sets like my 1996 32" LG were really heavy, bulky and expensive. When I told the Dealer that it would be going into a top [3rd floor] lounge in Rammy he looked alarmed and said. I'll get the lads to deliver it

It's all a bit like so called,"boat anchor" comms sets [the AR88 etc] in the sixties. We didn't really use that expression then, mostly disregarded the weight and often simply envied those who had one! There was a similar desire when the first FS sets came in. It was a much slower process of change with Radiograms etc of course. The literature on here and elsewhere is full of things being broken up in earlier decades. Given the recent scrappage factor though, these may well end up as even more rare and valuable items, sought after like the pre-war TV's and Radiograms are now! More recently even some of the poorer examples are at a premium. This is not why I still have my set of course. It may yet have to go but like a lot of members [eg Mark] I like to hang on to things, treading the cliff edge between storing and hoarding. Also it is hard to find FS sets with scart nowadays, pretty standard on CRT's, so that may still be quite important to some of us!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 16th Sep 2020 at 7:06 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 10:16 am   #59
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember there was a brief period about 20 years ago when projectors seemed to be the way forward for large screen viewing.

They never seemed to be that popular in houses apart from some dedicated film buffs, as the hassle of watching them in a darkened room on a wall mounted screen didn't make them too user friendly. The limited bulb length was also a limiting factor.

When my sister & brother in law were sharing a flat with a mezzanine and plenty of empty white wall they would watch films in this way using my brother in law's projector he normally used for presentations at work.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 11:30 am   #60
6.3volts
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
During my time in the trade from 1977 to the end of 2000 from time to time someone would say something like" One day the TV will just be a flat screen you hang on the wall".
Rich, I remember in about 1960 my parents replaced their big deep wood-cased tv with a modern HMV with a very slim case. I remarked to my mother (who was about as technically unable as it gets) how slim the new set was and she said that in a few years they will be thin enough to hang on the wall like a mirror.
An early example to foresight?
Regards Jonathan.
Closed Thread