UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2020, 1:43 pm   #1
Drumdep
Diode

Default Regular Popping Sound on Amplifier

Hi everyone

I have a Sony TA-V7 that is making a popping sound repeatedly in time.

It happens if the amp is under load with a device or with nothing plugged in at all. If you connect a device you can hear music and the popping sound.

I have removed a couple of boards and re seated them. cleaned the earth connections on the output board and the amplifier / main board.

There is no crackling sound this a a repeated popping.

Look at the link below to see what I mean.

Sound is heard from both the speakers and the headphone socket.

both channels. L&R

link to sound here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovG...ature=youtu.be

Please help!! Many thanks
Old 25th Nov 2020, 2:19 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Regular Popping Sound on Amplifier

That sound like slow 'motorboating' caused by a failing electrolytic decoupling capacitor somewhere on the DC supply line.
Old 25th Nov 2020, 2:39 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Regular Popping Sound on Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
That sound like slow 'motorboating' caused by a failing electrolytic decoupling capacitor somewhere on the DC supply line.
The pulse power supply is probably a good area to start checking - I seem to recall hearing of similar problems with other Sony pulsed power supplies ('poorly' ventilated & running hot for years ?)

Alan
Closed Thread