UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2020, 1:35 am   #1
mister_tea
Diode

Default Aiwa AF-5090 Help!

Hi all, just inherited my dads precious Aiwa music system and keen to get it up and working asap! I have a few questions if anyone can kindly help...

1.Can someone point me in the direction of a user manual please? cant find one anywhere.
2. I have figured out that the speaker cables will require DIN connectors but struggling to find speaker cable with these already attached - i see you can buy the individual connectors online but would i need to open them up and solder the cable inside before use? never soldered in my life so a bit nervous(!)
3. Can someone identify the AUX-IN socket so i can buy a cable to allow me to connect mp3 player etc? (photo attached)
4. Advice on what connections to use for the antenna and why are there 2 for FM? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aiwa af-5090.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	221205  
Old 25th Nov 2020, 2:07 am   #2
barretter
Heptode

Default Re: Aiwa AF-5090 Help!

There is currently a user manual for the AF5090 on eBay UK (£14.95) and you can buy screw-on DIN speaker connectors on the same website very cheaply.
Old 25th Nov 2020, 9:41 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Aiwa AF-5090 Help!

The AUX in is the 5 pin Din socket. You will neeed to buy a 5 pin Din to 3.5mm stereo cable adaptor. The 2 FM terminals are for different types of aerial feed. Try either with an indoor FM Ribbon Aerial (very cheap to buy) for the best result. No need to solder, use 2 pin screw on Din speaker plugs with a good connecting cable.