UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2020, 9:03 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Getting hard to find

Some things are becoming hard to find nowadays. I've already bemoaned the lack of corded ear buds and headphones, and someone just brought something else to my attention: Welsh broadcasting studios
BBC Wales - 3 Day Sale

Today I went to the country's self-proclaimed biggest seller of batteries for a few D-cells, nothing bigger than C size. Fortunately Sainsburys has them, Energize or own-brand, which I think are the same but cheaper

It's good here
Old 14th Nov 2020, 10:26 am   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Getting hard to find

Seeing the sale of BBC equipment at Llandaff Studios is really making me feel old, it only seems like yesterday that I was being shown around. I look forward to be shown around the new studio facility.
John
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:36 am   #3
trh01uk
Octode

I thought the BBC was supposed to be hard up? What's wrong with most of this equipment - that it needs to be sold off - and apparently replaced with new?

Richard
Old 14th Nov 2020, 6:32 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
I thought the BBC was supposed to be hard up? What's wrong with most of this equipment - that it needs to be sold off - and apparently replaced with new?

Richard

I've only looked through the first few pages but lots of turntables, reel2reel, compact cassette, CRT monitors etc. that probably should have gone from any state-of-the-art facility decades ago.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 1:46 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Some of the pro audio and video stuff is going for silly money, some of it like furniture probably wont sell at all which means it would go to landfill.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Nov 2020, 4:03 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Presumably it would cost more to transfer ownership between contracts. What we'd do and what large commercial entities do is a world apart. I have a quantity of Dexion shelving and a filing cabinet that was to be scrapped when we moved service centres.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 4:18 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

There's at least some newish LCD TV sets in there as well.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 4:51 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

Many large conglomerates claim to be impecunious and on a tight budget, all this often means is there's less than £200M or £400M in cash, bonds, assets etc!
Old 15th Nov 2020, 6:39 pm   #9
woodchips
Octode

Having bought a fair amount form the BBC sales, what I don't understand is why they need dozens of TV waveform scopes like the Tek 1741 etc. Can't they carry them around the building. Why is the Cardiff sites, plural, the size they are? Grill TV license dodgers?
Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:13 pm   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

I remember seeing a picture of a studio at Radio Tirana, Albania. It showed a single
microphone, a turntable, and a switch.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:01 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

As a shortwave listener in the 60s & 70s it sounds like the surroundings matched the bleak, gloomy and sombre output.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:02 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

Reading through the thread, I think Jules' purpose of alerting those interested to a forthcoming BBC auction has been served.

We all know various battery sizes are getting harder to find. Eventually planet Earth will be populated by cockroaches and AA cells.

But to forestall the re-ignition of chucking rocks at the BBC, it's time for the little white dot....