UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2020, 11:31 am   #41
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Television Advert 'Warning' Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I remember Channel 5 at one time used to have a set of five lines in the colours of their first logo flash in time between each advert. One one anniversary of them starting up these became candles. I might have some on tape somewhere.
The coloured flash was a short series of graphics files, BMP from memory, loaded into a piece of kit called 'Logomotion' made by Leitch. Adverts were kept centrally on a huge tape-based LMS - ("Library Management System - It's a bit like a video Jukebox" we'd tell visitors.) and played out as real time serial-digital video to the Channel 5 Regional Video Servers (Tektronix Profile) for transmission.

The video was routed through the Logomotion which inserted the animated sequence of BMPs into the black at the start of each commercial as it was recorded onto the server. The master copy in the LMS was kept clean. All this was controlled by Probel automation that checked the Server's contents against the schedule, automatically ensuring all the required commercials were ready. Disk based video storage was still quite limited, commercials on server, programmes were on Digital Betacam tape and I think animated graphics -Opticals -were on laser disc of some description at that time.

I was looking at this thread a while back and went away to remind myself of the specification for Microvideo's cue dot generator. It said that it was switchable between BBC and IBA standards:

"IBA - right hand side with moving black and white stripes.
BBC - left hand side consisting of static stripes of white, black, white."

Going back further, I seem to remember an old cartoon where a Chief Projectionist is watching a film on the telly at home with his family. He startles them as he hollers "MOTOR!" as the first cue dot appears.

Is the P on Steph's Packed Lunch for 'Product Placement?' It doesn't seem to conform to OFCOM's standard.....

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-an...lacement-on-tv

Regards,

SR
Carlton Television’s idents used as a holder in programme junctions originally came off a Sony professional video disc player, it was not always reliable.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:28 pm   #42
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
It's as bad as those endless "Viewers are advised" warnings
What annoys me is the one that is missing:

“Viewers are advised that the next programme is complete and utter garbage.”
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:53 pm   #43

Quote:
“Viewers are advised that the next programme is complete and utter garbage.”
Taken as read these days!

Back on topic, it was a sign to put the kettle on, and in more modern times hit mute on the remote.

Old 14th Nov 2020, 3:02 pm   #44
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hopefully still OT - does anyone remeber the Channel Four red flash to warn viewers the next bit was naughty? It certainly got the viewing figures up, at least for recording so the more interested viewer could fast search till the red fash appeared, which I think was the opposite of the intention.
When a TV (or even a cinema film years ago) showed the cue dot I'd get a bit fidgety as I used to be a 16mm projectionist at school and on a ship and old habits die hard....
Old 14th Nov 2020, 6:17 pm   #45
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Wasn't it a triangle Glyn? I can't remember the colour.

I was looking at an old training manual for cinema projectionists, Apart from knowing all about film, arc lamps etc, they also had to stoke the boiler with coal.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 6:35 pm   #46
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hopefully still OT - does anyone remeber the Channel Four red flash to warn viewers the next bit was naughty?
Yes indeed: there was a time when I remember some similar flag was used on old-fashioned published channel-listings in print-media [newspapers/radio-times/tv-times].

Friends called it the "smut flag" and its presence kinda guaranteed they'd put its VideoPlus+ "PlusCode" into their VCR to record it for back-from-the-pub-on-a-friday-night viewing.

These days we have Babestation-on-demand.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 6:39 pm   #47
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:

The BBC one looked liked two white lines in the top right corner.
Adverts on BBC? Shome mishtake, shurely.
Colin.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 6:56 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hopefully still OT - does anyone remeber the Channel Four red flash to warn viewers the next bit was naughty? It certainly got the viewing figures up, at least for recording so the more interested viewer could fast search till the red fash appeared, which I think was the opposite of the intention.
When a TV (or even a cinema film years ago) showed the cue dot I'd get a bit fidgety as I used to be a 16mm projectionist at school and on a ship and old habits die hard....
There was one really cheesy attempt at a horror film where they had things called "The fear flasher" and "The horror horn" which went off at times they suggested sensitive people might want to look away. The end product was so awful that it met itself coming back and put it on the boundary between almost funny and tragically pathetic.

Channel 4's red flag may have boosted viewing figures but this production didn't!

David
Old 18th Nov 2020, 11:31 pm   #49
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:

The BBC one looked liked two white lines in the top right corner.
Adverts on BBC? Shome mishtake, shurely.
Colin.
This was their answer to the cue dot, common to be seen before a live programme.