UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2010, 11:58 am   #1
Retired
Heptode

Default Restorer's dream.

Hi,

Normally I have nothing to do with TV but looking through the new edition of the BVWS Bulletin I noticed an old TV on page 61 bottom left hand.

The cabinet shown is my idea of a dream donor for a complete restoration project.

Apologies to non BVWS members but I am interested to learn what such a TV would be worth as a rough estimate in such condition. It is pleading for some TLC and I would make an exception for such a TV assuming I had chance of one and could afford it.

I'm a sucker for basket cases as they give me so much pleasure and I have enjoyed restoring worse condition wireless cabinets.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 12:04 pm   #2
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Restorers dream.

Let's face it Col, you're not going anywhere at the moment so you might as well stay in and 'restore'
Alan
Old 29th Nov 2010, 12:40 pm   #3
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorer's dream.

Thanks Alan, you are so right and what a lovely project such a set would be; I might even be tempted to put the heating on in the workshop to de-ice the windows if I had such a set to play with; after all what's a bit of frostbite when you are enjoying yourself.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 1:37 pm   #4
brianc
Rest in Peace

That set, Col, is a GEC BT7094. It's a very interesting set to work on with it's mains derived EHT and a radio which is incorporated into the main chassis and not a bolt-on accessory. I had great fun with mine, in retrospect of course! It has a little brother, the BT7092 which is a lovely table model using the same chassis (I would love to buy one - hint, hint) but in a different configuration. I agree that the one shown in the bulletin would be a great challenge and one which I am sure, you would be up to.

Last edited by brianc; 29th Nov 2010 at 1:38 pm. Reason: Typo again!
Old 29th Nov 2010, 4:35 pm   #5
Retired
Heptode

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for this information and I confess this TV has caught my interest. I've fully restored plenty of radios but never touched a TV chassis before although doing so would be an excellent challenge especially with all the expert help available on this forum but it is the cabinet that appeals to me; to restore the cabinet to its former glory using French polish would be a true labour of love.

Another forum member has very kindly contacted my by PM advising of the owner of this TV and I've just sent a message enquiring about it. If it is indeed for sale and I can afford it then it would make a lovely project for this winter after all I have until next July when our winter ends and the bad weather begins. I must have blinked when summer came this year as I missed it.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 4:37 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It looks in a heck of a state - quite beyond redemption in fact, but then knowing Colin, the more hopeless a restoration may seem to be, the greater the challenge, and hence, the greater the attraction, as witnessed by his restoration of a Philco 84B which featured on the following pages in the Bull after the Harpy auction pics.

Frankly, fro the dilapidated state of it, that TV looks like the type of thing that someone would take to an event, hoping against hopes that they won't have to cart it back home again, but then that can be said of a lot of the stuff that we individually find appealing to our own sphere of interest.

It didn't have a visible auction ticket on it, so it's not evident whether it was entered into the aution, sold or unsold. It certainly doesn't appear in list on the auction results page for October 2010 Harpy - the only TV I could spot in the list was a 14" 405 line Bush, which realised £12.00.

Happy days!

David
Old 29th Nov 2010, 4:54 pm   #7
brianc
Rest in Peace

Hi Col
I have scans of the manufacturer's service manual so if anything does come of your enquiries, I will email the files to you. One thing I will point out though, is that the EHT section of this set is lethal and must be treated with the greatest respect. I have a similar chassis on the bench at the moment and I have made sure that I cannot get anywhere near any EHT connection by taping substantial plastic boxes over the transformer and rectifier connection, anything that is easily accessible - just a momentary contact could be your last!
Old 29th Nov 2010, 5:23 pm   #8
Retired
Heptode

Hi Brian,

This is very kind of you and I appreciate the electrical warning; I think it is the high voltages that have put me off attempting TV repairs and I very much felt such danger whilst installing my 3 phase 415V home wound 10KVA transformer into my garage.

It's funny how things progress because this morning I had no intention of actually restoring a TV and now suddenly I'm involved with not one but two. I'm awaiting information from the owner of the TV shown in the Bulletin which is my first choice assuming it is for sale and if I find it is too costly for me I now have the chance of an Ekco TV which is in my price range also requiring extensive cabinet work.

What I really need is a warm warehouse and plenty of money.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 6:50 pm   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

Good luck with these putative projects, Col. Keep us informed!
-Tony
Old 29th Nov 2010, 9:03 pm   #10
Retired
Heptode

Many thanks for your kindness David and as you know I'm silly enough to take on such a challenge and don't have the sense to walk away.

I've received a couple of messages very kindly warning me of the dangers due to mains derived EHT and although I enjoy a challenge have taken note of these messages and have decided should I take on a TV restoration it will be purely for the cabinet work: I would of course clean the chassis but not attempt to power it up. Please excuse my ignorance regarding TV restoration but am I correct in thinking an expensive converter would be required anyway in order to obtain a picture?

I'm short of space not only in the front bedroom where I store my sets but also I have very limited working space in my workshop so ideally I would very much enjoy restoring a rough TV cabinet. I would then be happy to pass it onto another member who is unable to do the cabinet work but would be happy to complete the restoration and restore the set to working order; I'm not in this to make money as my enjoyment is gained by doing the actual work. I've got a feeling I'm digging myself another big hole but what the heck I like big holes.

I wanted to complete my potentiometer project before taking on another project but the weather is making it too unpleasant for me to work in my garage using my big machinery so rather than just sit and sulk I want to get cracking on a project I can carry out in my small workshop.

Two members have sent me most welcome messages offering TV's both needing extensive cabinet work and both within my budget; if possible I would like the chance of restoring the GEC cabinet of the set in the Bulletin but otherwise I will have to decide on size.

Thanks Tony; I'll certainly keep you posted not only on the outcome of this thread but on the restoration in due course.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 29th Nov 2010, 11:42 pm   #11
Danny
Heptode

Hi,

Sorry to upset your plans but I planned for this TV to be my Xmas restoration. The set isn't as bad as it looks although I haven't done anything to it yet.

I reckon about a week or two would get it going and restore the cabinet. The Ekco would be a better begginers set anyway as they usually don't have any nasty habits. At Harpenden I bought four TV's and this is the only one that hasn't been restored to working order and I feel it would be a shame not to get this one done.

Danny

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Aug 2011 at 2:56 pm. Reason: FSK, GI, iI.
Old 30th Nov 2010, 11:47 am   #12
brianc
Rest in Peace

Do you have the service info Danny? The stuff I have is much better than the Trader sheet. PM me with your email address if you would like a copy.
Old 30th Nov 2010, 11:52 am   #13
Retired
Heptode

Hi Danny,

Many thanks for this and also your welcome email. It's good though to hear your GEC is to be restored and perhaps you would post details in due course? Good luck with the restoration.

I was kindly offered an Ekco TSC48 TV by a member and would have jumped at this as it too is in a sorry condition and would make a wonderful restoration project but had to sadly decline the offer due to it's large size; I could not restore it in the workshop and if I did restore it in the garage I still wouldn't have space to display it; the asking price was fair and within my budget. I feel this set fully restored would be quite impressive and if the set was offered for sale on this forum another member with more space would enjoy restoring it.

I was also offered a second Ekco by a member this time a more modern table model set it being an Ekco T311. I thought Danny's GEC was rough looking but this Ekco I believe would be rejected by a skip or the local tip; the physical size is more suited to my space and with lots of missing and peeling veneer it will be an excellent project; it even sports vintage wood worm holes which I'm assured are no threat and the finish is abysmal. A bonus is that I'm further informed I'm less likely to have my hair stand on end if I decide to have a go at repairing the chassis.

What other hobby gives such immense satisfaction for an outlay of £20; I wonder if it's possible to over restore it; now that would be something.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	43388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco TV.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	43389  
Old 30th Nov 2010, 12:20 pm   #14
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
lots of missing and peeling veneer
Yep... that's a project, all right. In your hands, Col, it will come back to life. As far as the chassis is concerned, you are correct in thinking that in order to see a picture on the screen of a 405-only set such as this, a method of signal conversion is required. Ready-built converters are popular but at a cost (good value, though). I think your idea of passing on a set with a restored cabinet for others to finish has merit, but could you bear to part with a set? On the other hand, TV chassis restoration is a pretty full-on thing and it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Whatever way you go, good luck. I know that at the very least the cabinet restoration will be spectacular.
-Tony
Old 30th Nov 2010, 7:36 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Col,
The Ekco 300 series are great receivers and anything can be restored with care and time but I must say that Ekco is in a terrible state and I would imagine the chassis is probably well rusty. There are very good examples of these that turn up at very low prices with good presentation and it would be a pity for you to tackle such a beast as a first project. This could result in frustration with vintage telly restoration and loss of confidence. Saying that if you are happy to have a go we can give you all the advice you require. I do love Ekco receivers and the picture tubes with the later types seem to hold up. I have just noticed that the implosion protection glass plate is missing and this could present a safety hazard. Regards, John.
Old 30th Nov 2010, 7:52 pm   #16
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The chassis is filthy but doesn't look rusty though it's difficult to be 100% sure under all the filth.

The implosion protection glass is missing and this was described to Col when I contacted him initially. Since it's flat, a sheet of toughened or laminated glass from any glazier will serve as a replacement. It's a shame you can't cut toughened glass because it could probably be made from a scrap car side window. A sheet of thick acrylic or perspex would serve equally well.

Apart from the LOPT casing which will need reconstruction as I described in an earlier thread I think it unlikely that there will be any nasty surprises in the electronics. As John Wakely said, these are first rate sets with few weaknesses apart from the LOPT housing as mentioned. John showed me the hidden waxy in the tuner unit. Don't think I'd ever have found it without his guidance. Might not even have realised it was there at all.
Old 1st Dec 2010, 12:40 am   #17
Danny
Heptode

Hi brian yes i do have the origanal service manual for the gec tv i also have the orig manuals for the other gec sets from this vintage i bought them at my first harpenden a few years ago. i saved this set for the xmas brake as i wanted to do a write up on it for the buletin as next year is special for tvs due to a big birthday. but may just put it on hear we will see how much time i have.
Col the tsc48 is a wonderfull set once restored and the picture and sound are brill the 300 series are also great sets but when you do capacitor replacements dont forget the litle bumble bees in the if section i did on my first one of these and it gave me a real head scratching agc fault. thanks Danny
Old 1st Dec 2010, 4:01 pm   #18
Retired
Heptode

Many thanks Tony for your confidence in my abilities I hope I can live up to this; also thanks for the converter information; its unlikely that I'll ever get as far as wanting to buy a converter but Jeffrey has mentioned that just to get the set working help from another member nearby owning such a converter would be one solution.

Thanks John and I can fully understand your welcome comments regarding me being put off at my first attempt with a TV taking into account the condition of this Ekco as a first project. I'm a total TV novice and wanted this set just to get my hands on the cabinet but I'm also pleased to hear your account of how respected these sets are. I've always received much encouragement from forum members who are only too happy to put themselves out and you are indeed a great ambassador to the forum as I'll never forget your kind help whilst I was struggling with the Wave Winder.

Jeffrey was totally honest about the condition of this set and kindly took the trouble to send the pictures some of which I pinched to add to this thread; not only that but Jeffrey has also taken the time to send me a lot of technical data and information about this Ekco which is much appreciated. Whatever happens I've been made fully aware of the condition of this set and am happy to include another one of Jeffrey's pictures showing the inside of the cabinet and chassis.

As a TV novice I don't understand what constitutes a good or bad TV or what makes one set more desirable than another; I'm total blank regarding the workings of TV but what I find so irresistible is the terrible overall condition of the set and in particular the cabinet. I really struggled with my Philco radio cabinet restoration shown in the current Bulletin but it turned out very well in the end even if it did drive me mad at times but I see this Ekco as a follow on challenge and wonder if I really need medical treatment!!

Thanks for the information Danny.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco interior..jpg
Views:	610
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	43454  
Old 1st Dec 2010, 4:12 pm   #19
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

That photo is a fair representation of the innards. For the state of the cabinet I'd say the chassis was remarkably rust-free. Not a set for the arachnophobes.

Col, I'm sure you need medical treatment. But most of the rest of us do too

Hums quietly: "They're coming to take me away ha ha..."

Another solution for "getting it working" is to kindly ask a member with a converter to put some 405 on a VHS tape. Making a modulator is easy enough, there are several published designs.
Old 1st Dec 2010, 4:21 pm   #20
Steve_P
Dekatron

Start with a good honest clean up. Dust and muck can be removed. There does not seem to be any rust on it from what I can see.

Cheers,

Steve P.