UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:56 pm   #41
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Missing Sets?

My parents had one of those 20" TX10 Fergusons, bought new in 1989 and used daily until 3 years ago when it was replaced by an Asda 28" Widescreen. Never gave any trouble and the picture was still as good as new when the set was given away last year, Maybe I should have kept it! .

Regards, Mick.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 11:05 pm   #42
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
The TX10 is pretty scarce now as well. They just worked until the tube went soft...
Certainly did Steve. As I mentioned in another thread ages and ages ago my parents had one with full remote and teletext and it NEVER went wrong but the tube gradually went low especially on blue. They used it right up until they emigrated to Cyprus in 1999 although it had been relegated to the front room rather than the lounge by then in lieu of a new Turkish built Bush from Asda (I think).
Old 13th Mar 2008, 9:38 am   #43
Studio263
Octode

Tazman1966:

I'm sure the set you posted the pictures of is a TX100, we had quite a few of those. That looks like a healthy (if grubby) example, it must have been one of the good ones.

The 9000 one is rather bulkier and the controls, handset and loudspeaker stick out at the bottom on a triangular section (like a giant toblerone...). I think the IR sensor is to one side of the screen and because of that the tube is not quite mounted centrally, quite annoying if that sort of thing gets to you. The remote control unit is similar to the "ideal colour" ones you used to get with the ITT CVC32 etc, even down to the yellow and orange buttons. I suspect they made these sets for the European market, the square cornered plastic wood ones with six pushbuttons were probably deemed more than good enough for over here.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 10:43 am   #44
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Not sure if it's rare or not but I've still got a Fergy 21" TX98 set which I bought ex-rental in 1994. Needed a new LOPT a few years ago but otherwise pretty much trouble free. Was my main set until recently. I've also got an MCO1, the monitor derivative of the TX90. Bought new at Thorn EMI staff shop around 1985.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 12:46 pm   #45
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

That set in the picture is a TX100B
The fancy 9000 had a remote holder in the set but it was in the center
of the sloped front and it looked like the ultrasonic remote
that used to come with the ITT cvc 30 but was infared
it also had a slide flap to cver the gap when the remote was taken out
which also had a tone control and a tint control as well as the red search button with yello led.
the only thing with the ferguson tx range is that some sets
had the same cabinet but were different chassis in them
there was one tv not sure of the model
but it was grey plastic front with a red led display for the numbers
it had 8 soft buttons and 4 knobs with a square on off switch
and below a tuning flap
this set had lot of disguises in side from a TX9 TX10 TX100 TX90 even
Old 13th Mar 2008, 6:07 pm   #46
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
the mechanical tuners were a pain when the blue plastic lugs use to break not seen one of these sets for yrs
The infamous glide nuts, used on a lot of RBM sets at that time. Field engineers usually had a few dozen on board, as they cracked when they went brittle. Melting the cracks together was one of the bodges.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 7:06 pm   #47
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Going back to my previous post (#25) earlier in this thread, regarding the rarity now of any Thorn 4000 based set, I've found the information on one of the UK retail models. It's the HMV Colourmaster 2726. I'll attach a scan of the front page of the service manual supplement in case it jogs anybody's memory. We're talking circa '74-'75 here.

Has anyone got any recollection of seeing any of these originally? Has anyone seen one since or, more to the point, recently?

ScreenSaver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV2726_TCE4000.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	15789  

Last edited by ScreenSaver; 13th Mar 2008 at 7:13 pm.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 7:35 pm   #48
Steve_P
Dekatron

There is one on Mikey405's site. They are around, but most were exported. Rare as Rocking Horse Droppings though!

http://www.oldtechnology.net/

Select Old TV, TV Picture Gallery, Colour TV Gallery Page 2, and it's a FEGRUSON 7C06.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 7:38 pm   #49
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
There is one on Mikey405's site....
Unfortunately, that set is no more as it was destroyed by flood. I've spoken to Mike about it previously. Great shame

ScreenSaver
Old 14th Mar 2008, 5:48 pm   #50
The teleman
Pentode

Hi , Just spotted screensavers 9000 series thorn set " BRRRRR "l can still feel the shivers just like the first time i saw one ! Now the ALBA set he has to the left "NICE". As for ITT CVC 45 , Still come accross them & philips 14 inch portable , Is It the kT4 or k 40 i can never remember ? Chris (bvws member).
Old 15th Mar 2008, 11:08 am   #51
arjoll
Dekatron

All the mention of 'missing' Thorn sets got me thinking - my parents had a "Thorn Precision 20." Was their first colour TV, probably from about 1975-76 just after Hedgehope went colour until 1983 when the colour went weird. The repair guy degaussed the tube and advised them to sell it while they could!

I haven't seen one of these for easily 20 years. Four channel presets, PAL-B, VHF-only tuner, nixie tube channel display.
Old 15th Mar 2008, 11:35 am   #52
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Almost certainly an export variant of the 9000 series (probably a 9200). The 'Precision' referring to the introduction of the A51-161X 20" Precision In Line Tube I'd guess. Also, I think the nixie was unique to the 9000 (9600's had seven segment LED displays). '75 is too early for a 9600 anyway. Strange to only have 4 buttons rather than six, but anything seems possible for export markets!

Although the dates make it possible, it won't be a 4000 as they never had nixies and used 110 degree delta gun tubes in 22" and 26" sizes only.

ScreenSaver

Last edited by ScreenSaver; 15th Mar 2008 at 11:41 am.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 5:14 am   #53
arjoll
Dekatron

Dad's found this photo of the Thorn Precision 20, displaying a test pattern off-air. A bit fuzzy, I'm guessing it is just something in the corner of another photo that he's scanned and blown up!

Would be interesting to know if it looks familiar to anyone.

[edit] ok, some more info.

From a service tech - they were reliable enough when new, but when they did give trouble they were a pain to fix. The line output transistor doubled as a chopper in the PSU, and if any components went slightly out of tolerance you got a loud bang, lots of smoke and a dead set. The fix was to replace the transistor and a heap of passive components, cross your fingers and plug in. If it worked you left as quickly as possible!

They were replaced with the TX9 (I've seen a number online) and the TX100, then Thorn disappeared from NZ, the local operations gobbled up by Philips.

From dad - they bought it in late 1976/early 1977, after renovating the lounge they thought they'd buy a colour TV to put in it! Hedgehope (local tx) had been colour for about a year. This photo was a picture of the 'new' lounge, so the TV was brand new when taken.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thorn.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	15835  

Last edited by arjoll; 17th Mar 2008 at 7:26 am. Reason: more information
Old 17th Mar 2008, 6:18 am   #54
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I wonder if there are any of the Beovision "hybrid" sets left?

The only one I've ever encountered was the Beovision 3400 which I owned in the late eighties/early nineties. As acquired, the tube had gone soft, the back was missing and the PCB with the focus pot on it had burnt and gone conductive.

Realistically it was a bit of a lost cause but I managed to get it running well enough to watch late-night TV and rented tapes on in a darkened room while I was a student in Manchester. The dual PL509 line o/p stage meant it doubled as an excellent room-heater. Eventually it died completely and was left in a cellar, replaced by a Rediffusion Mk3 (which could be watched with lights on, or even in daylight!)

Cheers, Kat
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:51 am   #55
Studio263
Octode

Well the one in the picture still exists! I must get that out and give it a run-up, it's been some time...

These used to be a regualr appearence in the "your problems solved" section of the Television magazine but faded away at the end of the '80's, it's a shame because they really are good, just a little in the complicated side...
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:58 am   #56
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

I know there are still some 3400's being cherished out there.

Not quite as grand as the power station draining 3400, but I've got a B&O Hybrid in Monochrome form!

Model 1400SJ from 1970 - 24" Single Standard 625 with UHF and VHF varicap tuning. Pics attached.

ScreenSaver
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B&O_1400_Front.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	15838   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&O_1400_Chassis.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	15839   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&O_1400_ScreenShot_Crop.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	15840  
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:03 am   #57
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've a Beovision 3200 sheltering in the depths of the front room: its continued existence seemed a little threatened a few years back so I exchanged a pair of Quad Electrostatics for it Have never yet considered trying to return it to life, I think it had undergone a small internal fry-up...

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 17th Mar 2008 at 11:14 am.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:28 am   #58
Steve_P
Dekatron

The set in Arjoll's picture is based on the 9000. Is it a 9200? The power supply system is a SYCLOPS - SYnchonous Chopper and Line Output Stage. They gave good pictures and they were interesting to fix. I have an article about it somewhere if anyone is interested.

Beovision (Bang + Olufsen) sets could be hard to fix if you didn't know what you were doing, but gave excellent results. Paul_RK - take the back off and have a look seeing as it's had a burn up. Let us know what you find in a new thread.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:39 am   #59
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Paul_RK - take the back off and have a look seeing as it's had a burn up. Let us know what you find in a new thread.
Thanks, Steve... maybe one year! Getting to the back of the set and seeing what's there would take me the better part of a day at the moment. Everything here has to learn patience: it'll emerge sooner or later, and when it does someone may rise to the challenge.

Paul
Old 17th Mar 2008, 12:16 pm   #60
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi all

I've seen several references in this thread to the Thorn 9000 chassis. I remember only one or two of them coming in as chargeable sets. We didn't 'do' much Thorn stuff apart from a few 3500s on rental which I enjoyed fixing because they were quite straightforward and the other other 'engineers' were scared of because of the power supply which they didn't understand at all. The only thing I remember about the 9000s were the little module things that looked like a small wafer biscuit and were called (I think) a thick film module. They seemed to be the thing you had to renew if the set went wrong. Are these still available or were they not as unreliable as I understood them to be at the time?

However, to stick to the thread, I haven't seen any of the old sets of my youth for a very long time. I look after a couple of B&O 5500s, a Philips KT3 and K30 and some Sony KX20PS1s. I gave away my RBM A823 and ITT CVC5 to Trevor (MurphyV310). To be honest, I spent about 15 years fixing that stuff for a living and have no real interest in re-aquainting myself with most of them (especially Pye 205s) but would like to have a go at a K70 and one of those little Bush things (TV22?).

TimR