UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2016, 7:59 pm   #41
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Television in the car

PMMUNRO, you are quite correct, my memory was playing tricks the C47 is 35amps, and the typical battery in RR or Bentley was around 67 amp/hr, I think the point was still valid i.e. they had quite a bit more power available than a run of the mill car. Regarding alternators I do member the seeing fitting of those in the sixties.
Chris
Old 11th Oct 2016, 10:07 am   #42
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Most "cooking" cars dynamo would output 22amps at around 2300 rpm max, the cut in rpm would be in the order of 1200-1300 RPM this was achieved by the crank and dynamo pulley ratios, this makes the charge band very limited, even in Rolls & Bentley with their bigger dynamo and beefier regulator.
Old 11th Oct 2016, 1:23 pm   #43
Panrock
Nonode

Another tale of in-car television... this time of excessively good reception.

Some time in the early '70s I parked up on the A212, no more than 100 yards from the Crystal Palace tower (e.r.p. 200 kW!), and tried receiving Channel 1 on a Sony 9-90UB, which was on the passenger seat with its aerial folded away.

Nothing!

I then tried clicking round all the other channels and there was a perfect picture. However, when tuned correctly, the overloading from Channel 1 must have been so great the poor set couldn't cope!

Steve
Old 11th Oct 2016, 7:42 pm   #44
Jonster
Heptode

Sometimes when very close to the transmitter but almost directly underneath, the two antenna arrays used would cancel out as they were designed to beam the signal to the horizon. The so called 'Penge effect', some interesting information about it here:

http://www.bbceng.info/Install/Trans...pub-effect.PDF
Old 12th Oct 2016, 9:16 am   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
I then tried clicking round all the other channels and there was a perfect picture. However, when tuned correctly, the overloading from Channel 1 must have been so great the poor set couldn't cope!
Could have used it to power the fag lighter..