UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2016, 11:38 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Grundig 2x4 1600

Hi all.

Bit of a problem. Got a Grundig 2x4 1600 V2000 Recorder to repair.

However there seems to be an issue, anything made of a Nylon/Rubber substance literally falls apart to the touch, the reason it wasn't working was due to the idler gear I believe it is, having perished, it's in several pieces.

Having removed the main cassette mechanism I've noticed also that the rubbers washers where the screws locate into are also made of the same material, these to are perished too and crumble to pieces upon touch like the idler wheel already was.

Is this normal for these 1600 machines or has this particular recorder been stored in damp or humid conditions that have led to this decay?

Thanks for your help in advance, Andy
Old 1st Oct 2016, 8:17 am   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Grundig 2x4 1600

Keeping these machines or anything made of rubber etc in a loft usually speeds up the decay of the material. I left a very expensive pair of dress shoes for my kilt in the loft for a few months, went to retrieve and wear them only for the soles to literally crumble to bits. Same happened with my speakers and the foam round the woofers.
Old 1st Oct 2016, 11:59 am   #3
andyw25
Pentode

That's not good at all. My next question then.

Does anyone have a spare idler gear for a Grundig 2x4 1600, the machine is perfect aside from this one damaged part, I can piece together the remains and send a picture if needed. It appears to be an orangey colour, again this could have changed with age and wear

Many Thanks, Andy
Old 6th Oct 2016, 1:06 am   #4
Sanbeta
Hexode

If you can supply the size and thickness then I'm sure there is something out there that will be a match.

...Kev
Old 6th Oct 2016, 10:35 pm   #5
andyw25
Pentode

I shall piece the broken shards together and post some pictures along with some measurements, fingers crossed something will fit, here's hoping.
Old 6th Oct 2016, 11:37 pm   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Keep all the shards as you may come across a 3D Printer to remake them
Closed Thread