UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2016, 7:47 pm   #1
gingerbeardman
Triode

Default Philips 21CE1250/05B battery backup replacement?

Hi,

I picked up a Philips 21CE1250/05B from a local repairer who had been using it in his own spare room since new.

It's hardly used and I've managed to get colour and brightness to a usable state by using an original remote. I'm running vintage computers and game consoles through it. Anyway...

Upon full power down it loses memory of settings, and I've read that a nicad battery replacement is required?

I did some reading on this forum of similar CP90 sets and come up with this link of parts: http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/model/7503

Does anybody have the service manual and/or details of the battery and how I go about replacing it.

Though I can solder, I've never done a TV repair before. I know it is dangerous, so any advice appreciated.

Or should I just live with it seeing as it may not be moved very often.

Cheers,
matt
Old 15th Sep 2016, 8:25 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 21CE1250/05B battery backup replacement?

It's located on the remote control panel and as far as I recall, it's a 2.4V NiCad. We used to change them by the bucketloads when the sets were common! It's 30 years since I saw one so it might help if you took some pictures of the internals. For the record, it's not dangerous as long as you keep away from all the high voltage bits...i.e power supply and line output stage.

That link seems to deal with flyback (line) transformers so not much help for what you want.

If you can get a suitable replacement, it simply solders in. One connector is wider than the other so it will only fit one way....no danger of getting it wrong.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 8:28 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

CP90 chassis I think.
Alot of philips and pye chassis of this era used 1.2V and 2.4V nicads for user settings. They're soldered in.
There's a link here for the 2.4V version, the 1.2V version is half its length. You might struggle to get the NiCd version but the NimH is supplied by most people for the same function.

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...250aah2a4h.htm

edit: crossed with previous post.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 8:30 pm   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

The battery is usually a single NiCad cell around one third AAA cell length, although in a few models it was a two cell job twice as long. Which ever, it's tag ended and soldered into the board. The size isn't very critical - just make sure it's the single (1.2V) or two cell (2.4V) type NiCad or NiMH will do. I've even used AAA cells in a holder with wires to the circuit board works fine.

As to the danger make sure you UNPLUG the set DON'T just turn it off - leave it half an hour remove the back and have a look for the battery it'll be near the tuner ( the tuner will look like a small sardine tin with a wire going to the aerial socket. Resist the temptation to go near the high voltage bits which connect the 'sucker-like' connector on the tube to the line output stage (this can give a nasty 'nip' if interfered with, for a day or two after turning off but you don't need to go near it for what you're doing).

PS Kevin's just beaten me with battery details (younger fingers)

Last edited by Nicklyons2; 15th Sep 2016 at 8:31 pm. Reason: PS
Old 15th Sep 2016, 10:51 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

I think 2 cells, but not sure.

The battery will however not be on the remote control panel (there is none in the CP90, though the CTX and 2A chassis do have one). Nor will it be near the tuner module. It is in the front of the chassis, near the processor.
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:23 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - it's a 2.4v NiCd - essentially two 1.2V cells in series. It's located just behind the front panel controls as Maarten says, and is generally orange. Plenty of room to put a modern equivalent in. Your only problem might be if the original's started to leak - we've had a couple of sets written off due to this in the past. You'll need to reset the settings on the remote when you replace it and press open-diamond then closed diamond twice on the front of the TV. You'll see what I mean when you look at the labelling.
Nice sets - just watch out for the narrow-neck CRT - it's all too easy to break the tube when sliding the chassis out. Not that I've ever done that, you understand....
Glyn
Old 16th Sep 2016, 1:32 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The battery will however not be on the remote control panel (there is none in the CP90). It is in the front of the chassis, near the processor.
Yes absolutely...it's a long time since I saw one of these. To think I wrote a servicing article in Television about 20 years ago mentioning the back-up battery.....
Old 16th Sep 2016, 2:38 pm   #8
gingerbeardman
Triode

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been messing around and read the manual (useful, who'd have thought it?) and I've managed to get it remembering the colour/brightness by setting them and then pressing the button with the diamond symbol on the front of the set. I can mess further and then recall settings by pressing PP on the remote.

I'll leave it unplugged from the mains for a while, as obviously it had lost the settings at some point in the past. Then I'll think about opening it up.

Does anybody have the English service manual?

ps: here's a photo of it running.

Cheers,
matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55ksEay.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	130173  
Old 16th Sep 2016, 3:30 pm   #9
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

These are good sets money earners.
When changing the battery, it is best to carefully unplug the CRT base as well so that the chassis can slide out easily.
The CRT base can be tight so you have to manipulate it very carefully otherwise you can end up with a gassed tube.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 12:34 pm   #10
gingerbeardman
Triode

I've decided to leave it as it is, but thanks for all advice!
Old 28th Sep 2016, 11:39 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

Corrosion may occur at some point in time. It may not be wise to leave it as is.
Old 30th Sep 2016, 1:54 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I second Maarten's comment. I've had some beyond repair when the battery leaks and that would be a shame. You could always carefully reach in and snip it out if you can't get a replacement - it'll work without it.
Glyn
Old 4th Oct 2016, 10:14 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I seem to remember adjusting the analogue settings (brightness, colour and volume) on these sets. To store the preferred values, the open diamond button is pressed and the display digits will flash. Set the brightness, colour and volume to the desired settings and press the normalise button on the remote control. Some sets have a normalise button on the front as in the CP110, it's the button with with a rectangle symbol with a small arrow on each side. Now press the store button (closed diamond). The analogue settings should now be stored.

From my experience, a dud 2.4V NiCd back up battery results in loss of programme memory, the colour control at minimum and the volume control near maximum,

Great chassis the CP90 as is it's big brother the CP110.

Regards
Symon.
Old 5th Oct 2016, 8:12 pm   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I was never quite sure about the CP110 - perhaps one too many exploding power supplies, often due to that 'kitchen foil' chopper transformer.
The battery was always a good earner as the set came in with no colour, or in some chassis, no picture at all as the brightness was at zero. We had a mantra that always worked to set the 'ideal' button up on every Philips set we came across. Lots of opening and closing diamonds, but it made sure we didn't get called back.
Probably the last manual large screen set was the CP90NRC which was developed for rental. No remote control, twelve little push buttons and a few fiddly rotary controls. and, just for confusion, an E1, E2 and TV rotary switch which resulted in no sound or picture and a pantomime for the engineer as he fiddled about to justify the call out charge having spotted the 'fault' right away.
Not us, of course.
Glyn
Old 6th Oct 2016, 1:45 am   #15
John123
Heptode

This set looks a lot like my 24" Panasonic Alpha 2, which uses a Philips tube. Cosmetically, very similar except Panasonic seemed to favour green for their LED channel indicator. No back-up batteries in this set, however!

Oddly, the Panasonic has twin speakers but IIRC the left and right channels on the SCART are bridged! Being a pre-NICAM set, I can understand..but at the same time it seems quite a lazy thing to do!

Perhaps they were saving the feature for a more upmarket set. Anyway, I digress. Apologies for the waffle!
Closed Thread