UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:44 pm   #1
Speedyp
Diode

Default Dansette cartridge wiring?

Hi - new here.
Just bought myself an old Dansette Popular. It doesn't play records and appears to have the original (orange) cartridge which would be mono, with only 2 pins.

From what I can gather, I should be changing this cartridge anyway, so have ordered a BSR-SC5H (copy) from Musonic, so hope I did the right thing.

Not sure about wiring it up though. The old mono cart just used 2 wires - red & black, with a loud buzz when you touch the red so assuming that's the +.

The new cart will have 4 pins and there are 2 spare wires already in the arm, yellow & blue.

What I would like to know (finally) if I am looking at the back of the BSR SC5H, with the record / stylus side pointing down, which pins are + and which are - ??

Thanks in advance
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:54 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette cartridge wiring?

First check if you get the same buzz from the yellow connector.if not you need to connect it to the red wire under the deck. and the blue to the black . let us know. The connections looking from the rear the top connectors wider spaced are plus the right side is the right channel so the red one goes to that and the black one goes below it , the yellow one goes to the top connector on the left and the blue to the one below it ,Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 5th Aug 2020 at 1:04 pm.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:04 pm   #3
Station X

There's a sticky thread on this here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29597

If there are four wires through the arm it's easiest to connect the channels in parallel at the tag strip under the deck. Colours in the example shown are different, but you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	212749  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 1:57 pm   #4
Speedyp
Diode

Fantastic - many thanks for your help. Think that's all I need to know for now
Cheers
Old 5th Aug 2020, 2:20 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR SC5H you have ordered is one of the best options you could chose for playing Stereo records. However, you may find it will not play as loud as the original BSR TC8H or X3H that was originally fitted. This will be through no fault of our own, but it is nearly impossible to buy a stereo-compatible cartridge nowadays to match the high output of the old originals. This will not matter so much if you are playing 78s and 45s, but may be more noticeable on LPs. The cartridge will have the LH and RH markings on it. You must bridge the LH and RH channels in order to hear all the content of the recording. Do let us know how you get on.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 5:10 pm   #6
Speedyp
Diode

Thanks Edward & all for your help with this.

I am hoping to mostly play our old jazz records (stereo) on this, so if the volume is an issue, I suppose I could bodge up a small sstate preamp to help it on its way! From what I can see, this simple design is already squeezing as much as it can from a UL84 and low HT
Old 6th Aug 2020, 1:56 pm   #7
Speedyp
Diode

OK, new cartridge arrived from musonic (really good service) so the next question: How do I use the little metal clip, plastic plate and 2 tiny screws to mount this into the dansette popular headshell??

The original cartridge was obviously a completely different design, with a metal spindle poking out the front.

I can see how the supplied metal bracket clips into place across the top of the cart, but what about this black plastic plate & the tiny screws?

Is the aim to attach the black plastic bit to the top of the cart, and then drill new fixing holes through the top of the headshell

Thanks in advance for any ideas here
Cheers

Well... It Lives!

Mangaged to find 1 helpful image on google about how to mount the new cartridge with the various brackets etc. A picture's worth a 1000 words as they say. So yes, looks like I should drill a new hole through the top of the headshell, but I've just stuck it in place with some strong double-sided tape for now just in case I'm wrong.

And best of all - it works! Connected the spare pair of wires to the cartridge and then joined them to the original pair at the volume control.

Maybe a bit more "hum" than I'd like, but really haven't done anything to improve it yet apart from the new cartridge and stylus.

1 last question for today - the speed selector knob just falls off. Looks like it has a slot for a piece of sprung metal or something which is missing..

Thanks again for your help. Can see how this might get addictive.. Remember the days when I could pick these up for 50p from the church jumble sale! This cost me £30 for the dansette, and then £45 for the new cart & stylus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4944-TA00053-X5M-0.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	212832  
Old 6th Aug 2020, 7:24 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, these use a single screw fixing through the head of the tone arm. Are you getting more apparent hum with the new cartridge because you need to advance the volume control further to get a comparable output as compared with the old cartridge?
Old 6th Aug 2020, 7:46 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Most of the Google images od the Popular seen to have the single-play BSR deck with the grey plastic arm. Some have a screw hole in the top of the arm, some don't. If yours is the type without the hole, then drilling one won't compromise the originality. You'll need a small self-tapping screw if you need to attach the black plastic piece to the top of the bracket, or a small nut and bolt if using the metal bracket alone. Don't forget that the new cartridge will probably be lighter than the original TC8, so some weight adjustment may be neccesary. The recommended stylus pressure information should be included with the new cartridge.

Barry
Old 6th Aug 2020, 7:55 pm   #10
Speedyp
Diode

Well thanks once again for the help & advice.

I'm just going to leave it in there with the double-sided tape for now as it seems fairly secure so far! But will drill / self-tap if it becomes an issue.

Not possible to compare the 2 cartridges as the first (original) one was completely dead. But do tend to run full volume, so max hum. Still a very pleasing tone though

RE: tracking, I'm still just delighted this thing plays at all! And doesn't seem to skip or jump. If I need to compensate for the lighter cartridge, I can see a spring in the tone arm, so I would let it out a bit (looser)?

Hi - Fi!
Old 6th Aug 2020, 9:29 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It needs to track at about 5 grams when correctly mounted. As the cartridge is lighter than the original, and you don't have the mounting hardware in-situ, it may be too light now. Best to fit the correct mounting parts to ensure that the cartridge is at the correct tracking angle, especially important for Stereo LPs. The stylus must be vertical when viewed from the front and with a -15 degree rake when viewed from the side.