UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2020, 10:19 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Russell Hobbs CP1 - old timey appliance connector

I just paid (£29) through the nose for a CP1 complete with matching cups, saucers, sugar bowl and milk jug. No mains lead though. I will find one... but can any of you give me a short cut or a push in the right direction?

Apparently CP1 was the first ever Russell Hobbs product, 1952.

https://www.russellhobbs.com/our-heritage.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	349
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	211717   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	211718  
Old 25th Jul 2020, 1:00 am   #2
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Re: Russell Hobbs CP1 - old timey appliance connector

There appear to be some ceramic hot equipment plugs used for heaters and cooking equipment in Germany and China, like this one: https://www.lampen-ersatzteile.de/Ke...hwarz-10A-250V but I'm not paying £12 odd for shipping. Some cheap and nasty efforts on Amazon shipped from China and one for £13.40 inc. del. from Bulgaria on an auction site... Not sure any of these will fit though. I'll keep looking, no rush.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 11:15 am   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It looks very much like the sort of thing used on irons etc. back in the 50s and 60s.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 11:28 am   #4
Station X

It would help to know the pin spacing and diameter.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 1:04 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

A trawl through eBay came up with these ones, which look like they might fit.

I must say I was surprised that you managed to find the German company selling them new, as I thought they were long obsolete.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 2:45 pm   #6
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Thanks Dave, I missed that. I'll use bakelite as a search term. One of yours has BSS562 written on it which leads me to similar versions used in different appliances, also Swan made percolators. So I'm more confident it's a standard plug rather than a Russell Hobbs specific one.

ebay item 133440007308 £5.45 delivered (NOS, from Malta!) made in Germany so maybe not BSS562 but usefully pictured against measuring tape and it's a bit more than 20mm between centres, I haven't had mine delivered yet so I don't know if it would fit.

I messaged the seller (of the cp1) to include any remnant of the mains cable if available so I might be OK anyway. Whatever I'll post back here on what happens.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 3:03 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid_Nerdlinger View Post
One of yours has BSS562 written on it...
I should clarify that they are not mine. I have no connection with the seller, but merely found them with a search for "kettle connector".
Old 25th Jul 2020, 3:40 pm   #8
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

sorry Dave, unintentionally implied ebay sinning on this forum. Wrote "yours" as a shorthand way of saying the "one you linked to" to save on a bit of typing, which backfired as we both consequentially typed more.

G6Tanuki, yes I'm seeing some on old irons with these plugs as well as old kettles. Might be a way of getting a plug and an objet d'art thrown in.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 3:48 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Ah yes, I remember seeing them on irons as well as (if not more than) kettles.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 10:17 pm   #10
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

I just bought a Laundwell iron with lead and original box. I haven't owned an iron since I retired. £10 including delivery.
Old 31st Jul 2020, 6:41 pm   #11
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Got these delivered this morning, except the cups are missing and the iron is not the one I ordered and there's no lead with it, I'll have to wait a bit for re-delivery before testing this percolater.

I've been cleaning these items. I'm using a lot of bicarbonate of soda and citric acid and boiling water. The percolater honks, I think it's the formaldahyde emitted from the Bakelite... It's very unappetising. Under normal operation the temperature won't get up to boiling water temperature but I am a bit concerned that my morning coffee smell might put me off my breakfast.

Can anyone tell me if this Bakelite smell is likely to wear off? Chances are this percolater hasn't actually been used much before.

The iron is called Junction made by GPC. The bakelite handle is bust so I superglued it, it cleaned up well. Upon dismantling I was a bit surprised by the scarily thin electrical insulation on the heating element, see photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP1333.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	212300  
Old 31st Jul 2020, 7:33 pm   #12
duncanlowe
Nonode

This percolator model simply reminds me of Sunday breakfast. I'll try to remember to ask my parents what became of it. The Denby pot it got poured into is still with us though.

Percolating fresh coffee, bacon and eggs, with Letter from America (Alaistair Cooke, R4). Smells, tastes and sounds from my childhood.

Mind you, the Kellogs Rise and Shine powdered 'orange juice' is to be remembered for other reasons....
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 8:51 am   #13
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

After ten or so cycles of bicarb and citric acid and boiling water the smell has gone down a little but is still noticeable, perhaps with daily use it'll diminish further. I roast my own coffee beans so I use them while they are still very pungent which will hopefully drown out the Bakelite pong.

Incidentally the mains connector terminals on the perc and the iron are about 19.5mm between centres so the German ones might not fit.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 10:36 pm   #14
Hampus
Pentode

The "German plug" mentioned above was frequently used also in Sweden, I do have a few older appliances that used such a connector.

They are mostly obsolete now but the old German standard was called DIN/VDE 4990, later DIN/VDE 49491

The pin spacing is 19mm, same as schuko plugs. Pin diameter is 6mm.

This is the one I use to my waffle iron:

Name:	DSC_0576.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	212520

Name:	DSC_0575.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	212521

If this is what you need I do know I have a few extras somewhere. You can have one for the postage cost from Sweden, whatever that may be.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 8:26 am   #15
regentone001
Heptode

I have several of these percolators none of which pong so I am not sure what is wrong with yours
Steve

p.s I am fairly sure the ceramics were made by Wedgwood they certainly made the ceramics for the later ones CP2 etc
Old 5th Aug 2020, 4:46 pm   #16
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Hampus, just checked a Europlug and it's identical spacing to these appliance sockets, I still measure 19.5mm but my metal tape measure might be warm or just inaccurate. Good to know the waffle iron plugs will fit if I need them. Thanks for your kind offer, I'll bear it in mind.

Regentone001, good to know your CP1s don't smell, mine might get better. I think mine might just have been hardly used so the Bakelite still smells new. It could just be my heightened sense of smell from all the fresh air on the North coast of Scotland... it's weird driving South when I can smell bubble-gum vapes and fags from cars in the distance and around the start of the M6 get hit with some rank industrial and agricultural odours (welcome to England, have some of that!). No Wedgwood markings on this though, just Russell Hobbs England, see pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	212775  
Old 6th Aug 2020, 5:45 pm   #17
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Got the old iron today, the plug fits the percolator well. Wired it up and tested it without coffee grounds - works OK.

Measured the water temperature with a probe and it got up to 100 degrees C before switching itself off on Auto 3 setting, that is too hot for coffee. I have another Russell Hobbs perc, model 3010, which has no settings or switches and that one only gets up to 90 degrees C which is a bit low, should be about 95. I'll do more testing (I might also revisit that 3010 and look at adjusting the thermostat somehow).

The appliance connector is a bit battered and the cord grip screws don't bite, they are machine screws into Bakelite... I swapped them for self-tappers for now but I will either get one of them German NOS from Malta or more likely a new up-to-date and safer one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP1394.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	212848  
Old 6th Aug 2020, 8:21 pm   #18
bobbyball
Octode

Wow, that's the exact model we had years ago (back in the 70's). I think it was a wedding present for my parents back in the 60's. I always loved the way it used to splash the window. We used to go to "Kendal Milne & Co" in Manchester to get ground coffee in the days when the food hall was in the basement of the building across the road, with a tunnel between that and the main building. I think my mother chucked it away when they moved. I did find another one and I "think" I still have it but can't geat at where it might be at the moment. The mains connector was always a difficult one to get the right plug for. I love the matching cups and saucers, we never had those...
Old 6th Aug 2020, 8:27 pm   #19
mark_in_manc
Octode

(Across the road - as in Deansgate, or one of the roads to the left or right? I've been here 30 years and not been in there - I thought I'd get asked to leave )
Old 6th Aug 2020, 8:48 pm   #20
bobbyball
Octode

Yes, across the road and with a tunnel connecting the two basements. The food hall side had very posh OTIS lifts with the touch sensitive buttons.

I used to have beans ground and the grinds packaged up.

I remember a green light on the percolator but can't remember when it came on. I would have been about 8 at the time!