UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2020, 8:27 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default How do you make an eight pole three way switch!

I looked a buying one, very expensive, I found an old wafer type too big, so my solution was this use two four pole three way ganged together. I wondered why I saved those cogs.

Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0010 (3).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	211280  
Old 18th Jul 2020, 8:44 pm   #2

Default Re: How do you make an eight pole three way switch!

I like a simple solution, nice job. If I did it I would probably forget the other half goes backwards when wiring it up!

Old 18th Jul 2020, 9:32 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

I have thought about that , I think I will use a small lamp as a visual indicator ,when checking the switching , Mick.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 12:14 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

I have about 20 brand new, made in USA for Collins receivers. You can have a couple for free. The screws holding the wafers are threaded all the way so you can cut em down to suit your requirements.
These are 24 pole 3 way, so you wont have any trouble.

Joe

p.s. these are new old stock, you will need a dab of additional flux to solder the contacts which are silver( plated).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190090.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	211285   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190091.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	211286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190092.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	211287  
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:48 am   #5
BulgingCap
Pentode

RS used to sell a switch kit called 'MakaSwitch'. This could be configured in many ways, and any number of wafers including 'make before break'. I don't recall them being particularly expensive, and still have one I used in a CBS SQ decoder.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:59 am   #6
trevatxtal
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgingCap View Post
RS used to sell a switch kit called 'MakaSwitch'. This could be configured in many ways, and any number of wafers including 'make before break'. I don't recall them being particularly expensive, and still have one I used in a CBS SQ decoder.
Yes the best switch replacement solution I ever come across, I have sorted out and saved any RS Switches from redundant equipment for years . I think from about the 1980,s
If only a Manufacturer would again take up the idea. (China please note)
Old 19th Jul 2020, 7:11 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Nifty idea Mick. The only downside I can think of is the cogs slipping on the SW shafts after a while, I presume the shafts are plaggy?

Andy.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 8:37 am   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

I don't think it will be a problem as it won't be used that often, yes the shaft is plastic, the fixing screws are allen type so I can really get some tension on them, plus the switches move quite easily.

Thanks Joe that is some switch there. It would be far too big for the space I have, I have actually got one where there are two switches per wafer, still too big.

I see RS do them but I would need four wafers which would make it too big, nice to know though. Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 19th Jul 2020 at 8:46 am.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 10:49 am   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Mick, making up wafer switch assemblies can be a sod. BC's post this morning about RS's MAKA Switch Kit reminds me that I put out a thread post back on 30th June - "Old & New Rotary Switches". With the kit a Forum chum gave me, it took ages to sort out the matching "Poles" & "Ways". I've yet to decide on what I need for my Roberts valve tester project(too busy on outdoor jobs), but if I've some surplus ones left, you'd be welcome to a made-up switch assembly. As the actress said to the Bishop, shaft length is paramount, as I'm stuck with a cabinet depth of about 3". Mind you, your cog assembly looks great, and much better than a heffing long shaft. However, Joe's Collins switch assemblies look the bee's knees. They make superior stuff, I ken, having worked on their 618's years ago.

Regards, David
Old 19th Jul 2020, 12:57 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

The Collins wafers are 3-pole 3-way so 3 wafers would be needed. Joe could measure how long a 3 wafer switch would be- it might fit...

There's room to squeeze the wafers together a bit too, by cutting down the spacers.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Jul 2020, 12:59 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, the ultimate switch kit, still sometimes seen on ebay was the Plessey one.
This had bare wafers and centre sections as well as a whole variety of contact types and rotary contacts that could be cut for BBM or MBB. There were also rear contacts that could be configured to act as shorting wafers (very useful at RF) and it allowed up to 12 ways per wafer as there was an insulated stacking system for fixed contacts.
It was rumoured that there was also a 24 way version of this kit available, I only have the 12 way one, complete with various mechanisms, supports and spacers.

In its day it was very useful, and saves a lot of space over using a load of PO relays and a diode matrix to get a desired complex switching sequence

Ed
Old 19th Jul 2020, 4:20 pm   #12
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The Collins wafers are 3-pole 3-way so 3 wafers would be needed. Joe could measure how long a 3 wafer switch would be- it might fit...

There's room to squeeze the wafers together a bit too, by cutting down the spacers.
Hi Chris yes I did notice that ,it would be to much of a squeeze even cut down , I think I will stick with what I have got , thank's anyway. Mick.
Old 19th Jul 2020, 5:28 pm   #13

'avin a think, with only three ways a lever and link mechanism would work with the bonus of both switches working in the same direction. A bit irrelevant as you have the solution now.

Old 19th Jul 2020, 11:55 pm   #14
joebog1
Banned

So if you cut down the switch, from the mounting bush to the end of the end wafer ( and securing nuts) would be 45 mm with a couple of mm to spare behind the switch. No you cant cut down the spacers between wafers as they are ceramic. Shaft length is 9mm ( 3/8" near enough) and is flatted.

Joe
Old 21st Jul 2020, 11:11 am   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

Thankfully, my MAKA kit came with an abundance of aluminium spacers of various lengths & internal diameters. I also acquired some years back, a length each of hollow bakelite & hollow paxolin rods. Another source of insulated spacers is fibreglass fishing rod.

Regards, David
Old 21st Jul 2020, 11:52 am   #16
wireless_john
Heptode

Where I was trained in the RN, calling gears cogs wouldn't have gone down very well! ��
Old 21st Jul 2020, 12:10 pm   #17
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgingCap View Post
They still do https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/switc...m=switch+wafer

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 12:38 am   #18
Herald1360
Dekatron

Making up a 8p 3t switch from two RS supplied NSF 4p 3t wafers 352-222 and a shaft assembly 327-894 would cost about £35, which isn't particularly cheap!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Jul 2020, 12:44 pm   #19
bikerhifinut
Octode

Just a curved ball here...……. thinking out of the box a bit, could you use an ordinary 3way switch and a set of relays if theres room to get a board with some sub miniature relays in?

Andy
Closed Thread