UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 12:51 pm   #1
Becky-C
Triode

Default HMV 2010 Fuzzy Sound

Hi Guys.

I’ve got a HMV 2010 record player, I’ve got the desk running having stripped and lubricated the desk, it’s running really nicely.
The problem I have now is the amplifier is sounding a bit “scratchy” at lower volumes.
I’ve cleaned the pots and there’s no scratching noises when I change the controls now so I’m assuming they’re all good.
I’ve also plugged in my iPad into the tape input and the result is the same, so I’m assuming the fault is either with the speakers or the amp.
Would swapping the capacitors help with this problem? I’ve looked at the caps and nothing is bulging or leaking maybe they’re ok? The smoothing cap is probably ok, no hum on the amp.
Other possibility is the speakers are shot? The unit has been stored in a dry house all its life, so no damp garages etc..

Any help or pointers would be really appreciated, googling this think is tricky as the model number is also a year so I end up with pages of record players with questions asked in 2010!

Thanks

Bex.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:21 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2010 Fuzzy Sound

I note you say "speakers" - are there 2 speakers in this player? A photo of the unit would help.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:29 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Check the speaker cones for rubbing on the magnets, gently push the cone near it’s centre, If it’s rubbing you will feel and hear it.
Another possibility is crossover distortion if the audio output is push pull, check the bias adjustment.
Lots of other possibilities but those two come to mind for distortion at low volume.

This looks like the circuit.
https://www.service-data.com/product...93/3753/e12693
Old 8th Jul 2020, 2:58 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ahh, now I see it, this player has 4 speakers. I can't remember if the cones in those Goodmans 6.5" bass/mid drivers had rubber, treated paper or foam surrounds....if foam they might have perished.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 6:45 pm   #5
Becky-C
Triode

Thanks Guys I’ll whip the speakers off and take a look as soon as I can.
I’ve attached a quick snap as requested.
I think there might be 4 speakers as there is 4 grilles. 2 tweeters and 2 main ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5B96429-25DD-4789-B07C-E365A2FED5B1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	210589  
Old 8th Jul 2020, 8:06 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

This comes from the time that BRC used Callins capacitors. Easily checked, they are black plastic cylinders and by now they are change on sight. If the speakers check OK this is a good bet.
Closed Thread